Lee Morgan - Complete Live at the Lighthouse

Mark13

• Replies 506
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

I have such mixed feelings about this. I love Lee and also think that the previous 3-CD Lighthouse set that Blue Note put out in the late 1990s serves as an excellent representation of this band and period. I’m sure I’ll ultimately end up opting for this new collection, but only because I’m still a CD guy... the vinyl price would definitely be prohibitive for me. 

2 hours ago, thirdtry said:

Target has listed the vinyl version of the new Lee Morgan - Complete Live at The Lighthouse set.  It has a street date of 4/30 and is retailing for $289.

They are currently having a Buy 2 Get 1 Free sale which ends tonight.

https://www.target.com/p/morgan-lee-complete-live-at-box-vinyl/-/A-82194914

I am not the "target"for this product...

sorry...

3 hours ago, thirdtry said:

Target has listed the vinyl version of the new Lee Morgan - Complete Live at The Lighthouse set.  It has a street date of 4/30 and is retailing for $289.

They are currently having a Buy 2 Get 1 Free sale which ends tonight.

https://www.target.com/p/morgan-lee-complete-live-at-box-vinyl/-/A-82194914

Software Format: Vinyl

:lol:

Looking in the Ruppli Blue Note discography, the 3 CD set contained the master takes of all 13 titles from the stay.  The 8CD set will contain those and 13 alternate takes, seemingly those would be equal or inferior to the masters overall.   Can't see where I can justify even $75 for that.

11 hours ago, sidewinder said:

It will be interesting to see what the reviews are like when this one comes out, no doubt there will be plenty of comparisons with the 3CD set.

The Hoffmann Board will probably go into meltdown.

They seem enthusiastic about it. 

On 2/14/2021 at 0:27 AM, felser said:

Looking in the Ruppli Blue Note discography, the 3 CD set contained the master takes of all 13 titles from the stay.  The 8CD set will contain those and 13 alternate takes, seemingly those would be equal or inferior to the masters overall.   Can't see where I can justify even $75 for that.

14 previously unreleased tracks plus 5 previously unreleased Speedballs of various lengths, not that it matters that much. I chose the master takes back in the '90s and I will say, most of the decisions were pretty easy then except for two tunes. Going through it this time though, I have to admit I found the level of the performances consistently high throughout all the sets. The energy is infectious throughout and it's exciting to hear such a good band hitting on all cylinders set after set. I really like this band though, others might not be as high on them... I do have to say I think the sound is greatly improved over the 3 CD set. If you really like this band, it might be worth the plunge but if it is not amongst your favorites, then perhaps the 3 CD set would suffice. 

33 minutes ago, david weiss said:

14 previously unreleased tracks plus 5 previously unreleased Speedballs of various lengths, not that it matters that much. I chose the master takes back in the '90s and I will say, most of the decisions were pretty easy then except for two tunes. Going through it this time though, I have to admit I found the level of the performances consistently high throughout all the sets. The energy is infectious throughout and it's exciting to hear such a good band hitting on all cylinders set after set. I really like this band though, others might not be as high on them... I do have to say I think the sound is greatly improved over the 3 CD set. If you really like this band, it might be worth the plunge but if it is not amongst your favorites, then perhaps the 3 CD set would suffice. 

I do like the band plenty (though not sold on Merritt on the electric bass) plus it was the first jazz album I ever bought in 1972, so holds plenty of appeal on those criterea.  Good to hear that the sound quality is so much better and that the alternates are of high caliber.  How much do the performances of a given tune differ from each other?

44 minutes ago, sidewinder said:

Just read an article in this month’s UK Jazzwise magazine on Morgan and Live at the Lighthouse and it mentions that this new set will be 8LP and no mention at all of a CD version - presumably they got their information wrong?  Or maybe this is a special UK expurgated version? :rolleyes:

12 LPs or 8 CDs. I don't know if there will be different versions for different parts of the world but I seriously doubt it. 

I love this band, but in terms of a lot of factors, my enthusiasm for getting it all like this probably peaked 10 or so years ago. And if I had gotten it through back channels, I would be morally obligated to buy it legit (seriously). So, uh...send me ALL your bootlegs today, so I will have to buy them tomorrow!

Still...I'm open to a moment of weakness and a larger than expected tax refund and another stimulus check and that Check Engine light that just came on not being too serious and this chronic back pain of mine being just being old age and inactivity and just being still-heavier than i need to be....yeah, maybe, the dice can be rolled at some point.

16 minutes ago, felser said:

I do like the band plenty (though not sold on Merritt on the electric bass) plus it was the first jazz album I ever bought in 1972, so holds plenty of appeal on those criterea.  Good to hear that the sound quality is so much better and that the alternates are of high caliber.  How much do the performances of a given tune differ from each other?

Well I think the sound is a lot better at least but I'm biased...

As for track timings, the timings of a particular tune are pretty much in the same ball park with a fluctuation of a minute or two in either direction in general. 

27 minutes ago, JSngry said:

8 CDs at what price point?

And will there be pictures?

Reaching for the dice already....

I think the CDs will be moderately priced. I'm not as privy to such discussions but I think the general philosophy these days is deluxe, pricey LP box set and reasonably priced CD set. There are a lot of cool pictures from the Lighthouse photo shoot and I think the photo shoot from the Lee's last album in the booklet. They are of course more glorious in the LP box ;) but the CD booklet will have all this stuff as well...