Lee Morgan - Complete Live at the Lighthouse

Mark13

• Replies 506
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

12 minutes ago, JSngry said:

Lavishly illustrated, perchance?

That's a major seduction point for me, lavishly illustrated is, makes me melt in my mind.

Then you're just the sucker they are looking for after all ;)

Big booklet, lots of cool photos. The ones mentioned above plus some other nice live shots.

More essays then one would even need as well....

38 minutes ago, david weiss said:

There are a lot of cool pictures from the Lighthouse photo shoot and I think the photo shoot from the Lee's last album in the booklet. They are of course more glorious in the LP box ;) but the CD booklet will have all this stuff as well...

That Jazzwise article and the cover has a couple of photos from Hermosa Beach and also what looks like the Last Session which I haven’t seen before. 

Edited by sidewinder

47 minutes ago, david weiss said:

Then you're just the sucker they are looking for after all ;)

Big booklet, lots of cool photos. The ones mentioned above plus some other nice live shots.

More essays then one would even need as well....

You don't care a thing about me, you're just using me...

If the 8cd set was affordable (less than $75, even less than $70), and IF the sonic upgrade was notably better — I’d be tempted.

But I’d by lying if I said that just sticking with the 3cd set I already have wasn’t also pretty “temping” too.

If I said I’m ”torn” (which I’m not), that would make it sound like I’m pining for the 8cd set, which is really not the case. It’d be nice to have, sure! — but a lot of things would be nice to have — but that doesn’t mean I’m “torn” between getting them and not getting them.

That said, a notable (noticeable) sonic upgrade would help grease the skids, some.

• 1 month later...

Not much new in this article (unless I’m overlooking something).

https://www.jazzwise.com/features/article/the-life-and-tragic-death-of-lee-morgan-he-was-a-young-man-already-older-than-his-years-thrilled-with-his-talent-and-the-wonders-of-the-world-around-him

One thing though, is that this article says it’s an 8LP set (and makes no mention of CD) — where all the prior intel up-thread seemed to suggest a 12LP / 8CD set.

But I’m not putting a ton of stock in this new article necessarily, and I haven’t done the math — but 8 CD’s does seem a lot more inline with what I’d expect (given the rough number of tunes on the 3CD set, and about how long the list of unreleased alternates there were) — just eyeballing it.

And if that’s right, then 8 CD’s would seem to translate into 12 LP’s

4 hours ago, Rooster_Ties said:

Not much new in this article (unless I’m overlooking something).

https://www.jazzwise.com/features/article/the-life-and-tragic-death-of-lee-morgan-he-was-a-young-man-already-older-than-his-years-thrilled-with-his-talent-and-the-wonders-of-the-world-around-him

One thing though, is that this article says it’s an 8LP set (and makes no mention of CD) — where all the prior intel up-thread seemed to suggest a 12LP / 8CD set.

But I’m not putting a ton of stock in this new article necessarily, and I haven’t done the math — but 8 CD’s does seem a lot more inline with what I’d expect (given the rough number of tunes on the 3CD set, and about how long the list of unreleased alternates there were) — just eyeballing it.

And if that’s right, then 8 CD’s would seem to translate into 12 LP’s

Definitely 8 CDs and 12 LPs. CD box is supposedly going to be "moderately priced"

5 minutes ago, JSngry said:

If I get this, it will be more for Bennie Maupin than for anything else. The RIP-ing of Paul Jackson and the subsequent revisiting of this cut has whetted my appetite for more Benny Running Loose.

I love that album. Thanks for the reminder, need to play it today. 

4 minutes ago, bresna said:

Thanks... my problem is that I'm completely uninterested in vinyl... I really hope this isn't a case where they are jus going to do the vinyl... That's becoming a problematic trend. 

• 1 month later...

It confirms that there will be a CD version. David had told us so a while back but none of the press releases were mentioning the CDs because everyone is pushing vinyl and most Blue Note reissues these days are vinyl only.

Hopefully real CDs and not CDrs. I can't imagine Blue Note would ever go that route, but then I never thought some of those other labels would either.

Edited by bertrand

3 hours ago, Rooster_Ties said:

Oh jeez, I can't fathom how they'd be CDR's -- but I suppose in this day and age, anything's possible.

I'm assuming since it's a Blue Note release, they are going to do a real CD release... What's odd to me is I wish there some more info about pricing/package presentation/liner notes/etc....  I can't remember the last 8CD Blue Note release that wasn't Mosaic... I would think they would promote this more....