Lee Morgan - Complete Live at the Lighthouse

Mark13

On 5/25/2021 at 1:18 PM, erwbol said:

Unless the 8 CD version is a sonic upgrade over the old 3 CD set, and that includes specifically it not being significantly more compressed, I'll pass.

Here is what David Weiss wrote about the sound on a December 21 post in this thread:

"I thought the sound on the 3 CD set was good but I always disagreed with Belden about the sound. He favored a more clean, treble heavy sound and I liked a little more warmth and body. It was his baby. This is just a personal opinion but I think the sound on this upcoming set is much better. I believe the vinyl was done by RTI."

• Replies 506
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

19 hours ago, felser said:

Here is what David Weiss wrote about the sound on a December 21 post in this thread:

"I thought the sound on the 3 CD set was good but I always disagreed with Belden about the sound. He favored a more clean, treble heavy sound and I liked a little more warmth and body. It was his baby. This is just a personal opinion but I think the sound on this upcoming set is much better. I believe the vinyl was done by RTI."

Sounds good. I like a little warmth and body to the sound as well. As long as it is not compressed too much.

I haven't read back earlier in the thread -- but am I the only one who feels like the original 2-LP set was more impactful than the 3-CD set???

Not because of format.  But because it was a more concentrated dose of AMAZING music.  And the 3-disc set felt a bit more diffuse?

That's why this set doesn't hold that much appeal for me.  I'm sure this stuff is good, but it ain't gonna be as good as the original release, right?

One of the perils of box sets, I guess.

Edited by HutchFan

It was a really good band, and the OG 2 LP was impactful. I'm not looking to get more impacted by the box, just as I was not looking to get impacted by the earlier set.

For stuff like this, I just like to hear people play, these players, hear them play.

The impact occurred decades ago. Now it's time to get that post-impact caressing. Rub it in rub it in.

I never had the 2lp set but do have the 3cd set.... That set is great. For me this was a no-brainer for a few reasons... a) I love Lee b) who knows if we'll ever see anymore Lee Morgan releases (especially 4 hours of unreleased live stuff!!!!) and c) I'm curious how much the band evolved over those nights. This is/was a must buy for me.  

11 minutes ago, HutchFan said:

I haven't read back earlier in the thread -- but am I the only one who feels like the original 2-LP set was more impactful than the 3-CD set???

Not because of format.  But because it was a more concentrated dose of AMAZING music.  And the 3-disc set felt a bit more diffuse?

That's why this set doesn't hold that much appeal for me.  I'm sure this stuff is good, but it ain't gonna be as good as the original release, right?

One of the perils of box sets, I guess.

Edited by tranemonk

4 minutes ago, JSngry said:

It was a really good band, and the OG 2 LP was impactful. I'm not looking to get more impacted by the box, just as I was not looking to get impacted by the earlier set.

For stuff like this, I just like to hear people play, these players, hear them play.

The impact occurred decades ago. Now it's time to get that post-impact caressing. Rub it in rub it in.

Sure, that makes sense.

It was a special band.

Edited by HutchFan

This isn't going to be high on my priority list, but I do think the music should be out there and is likely at least 20 years too late in terms of mass release. But at least it's getting out - better late than never. I enjoy my download of the 3 CD set enough. In fact, it's due for another listening session. 

1 minute ago, tranemonk said:

I never had the 2lp set but do have the 3cd set.... That set is great. For me this was a no-brainer for a few reasons... a) I love Lee b) who knows if we'll ever see anymore Lee Morgan releases (especially 4 hours of unreleased live stuff!!!!) and c) I'm circus how much the band evolved over those nights. This is/was a must buy for me.  

I hear you.  :) 

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:

June 3, 2021

BLUE NOTE ANNOUNCES JULY 30 RELEASE FOR

LEE MORGAN THE COMPLETE LIVE AT THE LIGHTHOUSE

AN EXPANSIVE COLLECTION OF THE LEGENDARY TRUMPETER’S

EPIC 1970 ENGAGEMENT AT THE HERMOSA BEACH, CALIFORNIA VENUE

PRESENTING ALL 12 SETS OF MUSIC HIS QUINTET RECORDED OVER 3 NIGHTS

AVAILABLE FOR PRE-ORDER AS 8-CD & LIMITED-EDITION 12-LP ALL-ANALOG 180g VINYL SETS

LISTEN TO A PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED VERSION OF “THE BEEHIVE”

WATCH THE UNBOXING VIDEO

Blue Note Records has announced a July 30 release date for Lee Morgan The Complete Live at the Lighthouse, an expansive collection that presents for the very first time all 12 sets of music the legendary trumpeter’s quintet with saxophonist Bennie Maupin, pianist Harold Mabern, bassist Jymie Merritt, and drummer Mickey Roker recorded during their historic engagement at The Lighthouse in Hermosa Beach, California from July 10-12, 1970. Originally released 50 years ago in 1971 as a 2-LP set, and later expanded to a 3-CD set in 1996, this definitive edition produced by Zev Feldman and David Weiss will be available as an 8-CD set and a limited-edition 12-LP all-analog 180g vinyl set that encompasses 33 performances including more than 4 hours of previously unreleased music that lets the listener relive the experience of being in the club for every exhilarating moment. Watch the unboxing video here. A previously unreleased version of Mabern’s composition “The Beehive” from the 2nd set on Saturday, July 11 is available now to stream or download.

Both physical formats are accompanied by an enlightening booklet featuring new interviews with Bennie Maupin and the last extensive interview with Jymie Merritt before his passing last year; essays by Jeffery McMillan (author or Delightfulee: The Life and Music of Lee Morgan) and Michael Cuscuna; statements from Jack DeJohnette, Wallace Roney, Nicholas Payton, Charles Tolliver, Eddie Henderson, Dave Douglas, and others; previously unpublished photos by Joel Franklin and Lee Tanner; as well as a statement from Morgan’s family. The audio was mixed from the original ½” 4-track tapes by Steve Genewick at Capitol Studios with LP mastering by Kevin Gray at Cohearent Audio and 180g vinyl manufactured at Record Technology Inc. (RTI) in Camarillo, California. CD mastering was done by Robert Vosgien at Capitol Studios.

Bennie Maupin, saxophonist

“Right from the beginning, we developed such a heart-to-heart connection with each other. I think that’s really reflected in what we did. It was just about being in the moment and capturing the moment, and we did that.”

Jymie Merritt, bassist

“In a sense, it is holy music. And that was the thing I felt throughout the performances at The Lighthouse, this was totally uncompromised music in terms of the way it went down.”

Don Was, President, Blue Note Records

“’Live at the Lighthouse’ probably gives us the clearest picture of where Lee Morgan was headed and, as such, is a record of monumental importance.”

Zev Feldman, producer

“‘Live at the Lighthouse’ is an all-time desert island disc for me and to be ushering in a complete edition of this magnitude—each set, night-by-night just like if you were at the club witnessing it live—is nothing short of a dream come true. This was one of the very first projects I wanted to pursue when I came to Blue Note. I had prior knowledge that there was 4-plus hours of unissued material sitting on the shelves, but I didn't realize how great it was until hearing it all. Just as these musicians worked to create a recording that would stand the test of time, we made every effort to create a package that would serve that legacy.”

PERSONNEL:

Lee Morgan – trumpet, flugelhorn
Bennie Maupin – tenor saxophone, flute, bass clarinet
Harold Mabern – piano
Jymie Merritt – Ampeg bass
Mickey Roker – drums

Jack DeJohnette – drums (on "Speedball" from Friday, July 10, Set 4)

Original recordings produced by Francis Wolff

TRACK LISTING:

*previously unissued

Friday, July 10, 1970

Set 1

Introduction by Lee Morgan (2:06)

The Beehive (12:51) *

Introduction (0:20)

Something Like This (12:43)

Yunjana (14:28) *

Speedball (4:34) *

Set 2

I Remember Britt (16:45) *

Introduction (0:19)

Absolutions (21:55) *

Speedball (3:46) *

Set 3

Introduction (0:33)

Neophilia (18:52) *

Introduction (0:47)

416 East 10th Street (11:46)

The Sidewinder (12:49)

Speedball (0:53)

Set 4

Introduction (0:30)

Peyote (13:23) *

Speedball (11:55)

Saturday, July 11, 1970

Set 1

Aon (13:47)

Introduction (0:21)

Yunjana (17:32) *

Set 2

Introduction (0:14)

Something Like This (11:46) *

Introduction (0:28)

I Remember Britt (14:25)

Introduction (0:47)
The Beehive (15:23) *

Speedball (7:00) *

Set 3

Neophilia (19:18) *

Nommo (17:44)

Set 4

Peyote (11:24) *

Absolutions (22:28)

Sunday, July 12, 1970

Set 1

Introduction (1:37)

Something Like This (15:39) *

Introduction (0:29)

Yunjana (16:07)

Set 2

I Remember Britt (16:19) *

Absolutions (19:35) *

Speedball (0:27)

Set 3

Introduction (1:19)

Neophilia (18:59)

Introduction (0:46)

The Beehive (15:11)

Speedball (1:59)

Set 4

Peyote (9:27)

Nommo (19:19) *

Edward Lee Morgan was born in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania on July 10, 1938. He got his first trumpet at age 13 and began his rise to prominence when he joined the Dizzy Gillespie Big Band at age 18. Nearly the entirety of Morgan’s remarkable recorded output over the course of his tragically short 15-year recording career was documented by Blue Note Records from his 1956 debut Lee Morgan Indeed!, recorded when he was 18 years old, to The Last Session in 1971, his final album recorded just months before his death. In between came two dozen dynamic albums as a leader including The Cooker, Lee-Way, The Sidewinder, Search for the New Land, The Rumproller, Cornbread, The Gigolo, and Live at the Lighthouse—not to mention Morgan’s explosive sideman appearances on other timeless classics of the Blue Note catalog like John Coltrane’s Blue Train and Art Blakey & The Jazz Messengers’ Moanin’. His life is the subject of the acclaimed, award-winning documentary I Called Him Morgan directed by Kasper Collin.

For more information contact:

Cem Kurosman at Blue Note Records (p) 212.786.8634 (e) cem.kurosman@umusic.com

23 minutes ago, HutchFan said:

Sure that makes sense.

Same with all those Miles metal spine sets, didn't buy all those to get the OG records, that experience had long ago been had, so not looking for anything other than an "expanded perspective".

For people who have to start with these expanded box sets....I can't really speak to that (most of the time), that's an entirely different individual experience.

Either way, there's very few box sets that have left me feeling that my appreciation of the music has been diminished. Although sometimes, measured listening is the key.

2 minutes ago, JSngry said:

Same with all those Miles metal spine sets, didn't buy all those to get the OG records, that experience had long ago been had, so not looking for anything other than an "expanded perspective".

For people who have to start with these expanded box sets....I can't really speak to that (most of the time), that's an entirely different individual experience.

Either way, there's very few box sets that have left me feeling that my appreciation of the music has been diminished. Although sometimes, measured listening is the key.

Yeah, I get it.  With big sets like these, you can't go in looking for an "album experience."  This is a different animal.