Lee Morgan - Complete Live at the Lighthouse

Mark13

• Replies 506
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

9 hours ago, bresna said:

It might take that long to get them to cut this material onto Edison cylinders. :)

lolz, that would be a lot of cylinders ;)

9 hours ago, JSngry said:

Is Chewy doing cylinders now? I thought it was just 78s.

not yet but im very much in the market for a crazy deal.  Theres one lady i might pitch to but i still have to wait a few months at this point for disposable income to appear.  And she'd have to knock two off and bring it closer to one at that- but the thing is its a tabletop model so its not taking up space like the Schubert was, the immediate need to have it out isnt there as much.  Her price is in the "fair" range, shes not a monster.  A lot of these people think they have the hope diamond and charging 10x value.  Truth is you cant give these things away outside of the small crazy Edison collector subset, which is only slowly growing and rapidly declining.  And my dawg the edisons are 80s!!!!  Only the very last ones in 1929 were switched to 78.8 to match the edison needle types, at which point edison dealers were told to have their customers set their players at 79, as a happy medium between the old and the new.....

Just now, JSngry said:

Ah, Edison. ever defiant!

and he HATED jazz and blues- he said jazz sounds the same backwards as it does forwards.   it first only got recorded when he was on vacation and wasnt around to approve discs- and later when his sons took over the phonograph divison

edison strongly prerered recording the 1800s style parlor music of his youth

Just now, chewy-chew-chew-bean-benitez said:

and he HATED jazz and blues- he said jazz sounds the same backwards as it does forwards.   it first only got recorded when he was on vacation and wasnt around to approve discs- and later when his sons took over the phonograph divison

But if you play Robert Johnson backwards you get "Paul Is Dead".

14 hours ago, chewy-chew-chew-bean-benitez said:

edison strongly prerered recording the 1800s style parlor music of his youth

My late grandfather had some cylinders with some very mannered music hall performances on them. I can't remember their names. They hadn't really stood the test of time.

8 minutes ago, tranemonk said:

Do you mean"I Remember Britt?" If so there are 3 versions... If not I don't see it. 

https://www.bluenote.com/lee-morgan-the-complete-live-at-the-lighthouse-out-july-30/

I was just making a goofy joke alluding to the mythical Buddy Bolden cylinder—and yes, invoking “I Remember Britt” as well (nice Harold Mabern tune that Steve Slagle covers on his newest release, actually).

Edited by ghost of miles

2 hours ago, ghost of miles said:

I was just making a goofy joke alluding to the mythical Buddy Bolden cylinder—and yes, invoking “I Remember Britt” as well (nice Harold Mabern tune that Steve Slagle covers on his newest release, actually).

wait theres a legend of a Buddy Bolden cylinder?   Is it supposed to be a privately recorded one, not a commerical one?  tell me more!  and Rabshakeh I hope you can have the chance to save it- with a new stylus, the last advancement on edisons original design- it will sound better than the day they bought it

omg...

https://blogs.loc.gov/now-see-hear/2014/11/the-elusive-buddy-bolden/

so it sounds like it might of existed at one point but was thrown away.  typical.

Edited by chewy-chew-chew-bean-benitez

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
20 minutes ago, thirdtry said:

DeepDiscount.com is currently running a code (SCHOOL) good for 15% off.  Their price on the Lee Morgan CD set is $70 so using the coupon it would be around $60 plus tax which is the best I've sen around.  I just ordered it myself.

$59.52 on importcds.com.  I think those two sites are related at this point, with popmarket.com also being in the umbrella.

Edited by felser

2 hours ago, felser said:

$59.52 on importcds.com.  I think those two sites are related at this point, with popmarket.com also being in the umbrella.

Thanks, good price. Agreed on the corporate umbrella (emphasis added). Popmarket is a crappy seller on discogs, prone to posting price errors, canceling orders at the low price due to "not in stock", but then failing to correct the errors. I noticed via Paypal that importcds and popmarket use the same e-mail address.

Edited by T.D.

2 hours ago, thirdtry said:

DeepDiscount.com is currently running a code (SCHOOL) good for 15% off.  Their price on the Lee Morgan CD set is $70 so using the coupon it would be around $60 plus tax which is the best I've sen around.  I just ordered it myself.

I thought it was coming out on Friday? Their coupons are usually only for in-stock items.

On 16/06/2021 at 6:50 PM, chewy-chew-chew-bean-benitez said:

wait theres a legend of a Buddy Bolden cylinder?   Is it supposed to be a privately recorded one, not a commerical one?  tell me more!  and Rabshakeh I hope you can have the chance to save it- with a new stylus, the last advancement on edisons original design- it will sound better than the day they bought it

omg...

https://blogs.loc.gov/now-see-hear/2014/11/the-elusive-buddy-bolden/

so it sounds like it might of existed at one point but was thrown away.  typical.

Happy to step up. God knows a mythical cylinder will still be better than the real life recordings of cockney music hall my late step granddad had.

15 hours ago, jazzbo said:

I'm in with an order from amazon. . . expecting a shipping notice soon, actually looking forward to this one.

Same. Order arriving Friday. The original 3 CD Lighthouse set was always a favorite and I had it since college when we did AOTW on it.  Of course we know what happened to my original ser