Lee Morgan - Complete Live at the Lighthouse

Mark13

1 hour ago, felser said:

What are people's thoughts on the sound compared to the 3CD box?

I'm only streaming but to my ears it's clearer, better separation between instruments and more immediate, more 'live' but I always found the 3CD sound a bit dull and muddy so I guess I may be guilty of finding what I was looking for.

Edit to add: the music really is very good, I find myself listening to three or fours sets on the bounce just because I'm sucked right in.

Edited by mjazzg

• Replies 506
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, felser said:

What are people's thoughts on the sound compared to the 3CD box?

On my system the sound is more forward and dynamic by a noticable margin. A more modern reissue sound than the '96 sound. Reading a few forums it seems some think it doesn't sound as great, prefering a slightly more warm sound, but more some to believe it's a decided improvment. I'm in the latter camp.

3 hours ago, Mark13 said:

I ordered through Amazon.de and my set is expected to ship within the next few days.But they had it in a record store I visited today and the box is sturdier than the Mosaic Selects. In size and casing it's very similar to the Sonny Stitt ('Stitt's Bits') set that Concord released in 2006. 

Nice. Placed an order through amazon.jp for Japanese version.

1 minute ago, Rooster_Ties said:

I'm finding it harder to resist ordering this on CD.  You people need to quit going on about how great this thing is.  My self-restraint may crater.

This is not the instance to exercise self-restraint.  

28 minutes ago, Rooster_Ties said:

I'm finding it harder to resist ordering this on CD.  You people need to quit going on about how great this thing is.  My self-restraint may crater.

I was in the same boat. I didn't and wouldn't base any decision on what's said here because come on, we all know it'll get nothing but raves. It's like Mosaics in that respect.

But I did buy it...

Edited by T.D.

Yeah, I bought it, got it, but won't be opening it for a while. Too much stuff in front of it in line. But I fully expect to have slobberlove for it when the time comes, I mean, I had that with the original 2 LP, and then the 3 CD, and my slobberglands work better now than ever.

If nothing els, buy it just so the fuckers realize that there's still a market for CDs. Can't let them get the notion that all they have to do is put out out boutique items for people who probably don't even know what to do when their record gets scratched or stuff like that.

1 hour ago, T.D. said:

I was in the same boat. I didn't and wouldn't base any decision on what's said here because come on, we all know it'll get nothing but raves. It's like Mosaics in that respect.

But I did buy it...

1 - Of course it will get raves, and it should get raves for all the right reasons.   

2 - I did not buy the Mosaic Morgan/Mobley/Henderson releases of recent years, but did buy this.  This has 5 CD's of newly released material and costs less than half of what Mosaics cost per disc (plus is better suited for real-world shelf storage).

3 - Rooster WANTS to be talked into buying this.  Just trying to help him fulfill his wisdom-filled wishes :D.

1 hour ago, JSngry said:

Alos, think of it as the missing link between Lee Morgan & Music Inc. or vice-versa.

True that.   And not like you get to hear Bennie Maupin stretch out like this in many (any?) other places in this type of company.  And Harold Mabern was in the house.   

3 hours ago, jazzbo said:

On my system the sound is more forward and dynamic by a noticable margin. A more modern reissue sound than the '96 sound. Reading a few forums it seems some think it doesn't sound as great, prefering a slightly more warm sound, but more some to believe it's a decided improvment. I'm in the latter camp.

On my system the sound is the same.  Morgan and Maupin are much more "live" and the drums and bass have a lot of pop.  This is a great set and glad I have it.  5 discs in.

On 8/26/2021 at 3:19 PM, JSngry said:

Yeah, I bought it, got it, but won't be opening it for a while. Too much stuff in front of it in line. But I fully expect to have slobberlove for it when the time comes, I mean, I had that with the original 2 LP, and then the 3 CD, and my slobberglands work better now than ever.

If nothing els, buy it just so the fuckers realize that there's still a market for CDs. Can't let them get the notion that all they have to do is put out out boutique items for people who probably don't even know what to do when their record gets scratched or stuff like that.

Amen... preach on.... :)

I am very glad this came out and I am looking forward to getting it very soon.

Sorry to be a bit negative, but I for one am already done with all the media hoopla. What exactly is the discovery here? We knew this was great music back when they released the 3-CD set, and that package added a lot to the original 2-LP set, if only for all the extra Bennie Maupin compositions.

But this set has no additional compositions, just additional takes. A dream in any case for Morgan fans and fans of great music in general, but ultimately, there is no real discovery. All the takes could have been released years ago. One Blue Note manager just over-ruled a decision made by a previous Blue Note manager.

6 minutes ago, Chuck Nessa said:

No.

8122Hc5m5nS._SX522_.jpg

Oh, so two CDs are together? Is it one to the left and one to the right or are they right next to each other? Looking at the case that is opened up, it look like there is only one opening on the right and both CDs are in there.

Edited by bertrand

8 minutes ago, bertrand said:

I am very glad this came out and I am looking forward to getting it very soon.

Sorry to be a bit negative, but I for one am already done with all the media hoopla. What exactly is the discovery here? We knew this was great music back when they released the 3-CD set, and that package added a lot to the original 2-LP set, if only for all the extra Bennie Maupin compositions.

But this set has no additional compositions, just additional takes. A dream in any case for Morgan fans and fans of great music in general, but ultimately, there is no real discovery. All the takes could have been released years ago. One Blue Note manager just over-ruled a decision made by a previous Blue Note manager.

Oh, so two CDs are together? Is it one to the left and one to the right or are they right next to each other? Looking at the case that is opened up, it look like there is only one opening on the right and both CDs are in there.

Notice the opened sleeve at the top! 2 pockets.

10 minutes ago, Chuck Nessa said:

Notice the opened sleeve at the top! 2 pockets.

Oh, good, so the CDs won't get scratched being right next to each other. The bottom photos almost made it look like two CDs are in one pocket. Thanks!

Edited by bertrand

22 minutes ago, clifford_thornton said:

I'll definitely buy it, but as lavish as the LP version looks, I won't be splashing out for that behemoth. The hype is exhausting but that comes with the territory for a lot of these releases.

Certain releases get an extra dose of hype...

45 minutes ago, bertrand said:

Certain releases get an extra dose of hype...

Certain releases merit an extra dose of hype.  This is as perfect as archival CD releases get.

19 minutes ago, JSngry said:

Now...is there this much more of the Elvin Lighthouse material? Or the Grant Green?

Can't say that I gould get hyped about wither, although I do wonder what other material Grant have played other than what got on the record.

I could get hyped about both.  Though a lot of additional material came out on the Elvin Lighthouse CD's, and I can live without endless drum solos.  Love Gene Perla's work with that group.

Of course it was going to get hyped, they want to sell it. Don't see the issue myself especially as this seems to be particularly good example of how to expand the available catalogue of an important musician.

Be weird if they didn't big it up. It's for everyone to apply their own hype filter and be happy with their choice rather than snipe at other's choices 

1 hour ago, JSngry said:

Now...is there this much more of the Elvin Lighthouse material? Or the Grant Green?

Can't say that I gould get hyped about wither, although I do wonder what other material Grant have played other than what got on the record.

I'd be hyped about both... esp. Elvin... :)