Mark13

• Replies 506
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

11 minutes ago, bresna said:

The "Limited edition" sticker on the LP box:

[IMG]

Actually "Limited edition 1st pressing".

I also should note that Blue Note's website is now listing several hundred LP box sets as an "overrun" (several hundred overrun?) and jacked up the price to $350.

This ain't your father's Blue Note.

It would be a hell of a surprise if it was. Companies move on, adapt to survive. 

I don't really see the issue of having a limited 1st pressing and then having the issue to repress if demand is there.  I'd buy a second pressing as I missed out first time round.

I'm less keen on the price increase which seems a touch exploitative but with flipped copies online at £450 the $350 begins to look OK at just under $30 an LP.

24 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

I'd buy a second pressing as I missed out first time round.

I'm less keen on the price increase which seems a touch exploitative but with flipped copies online at £450 the $350 begins to look OK at just under $30 an LP.

If that's the case, just go to https://store.bluenote.com/products/lee-morgan-the-complete-live-at-the-lighthouse?_pos=1&_sid=784824ae5&_ss=r&variant=40623948234943 and order yourself a copy. No need to wait for that second pressing (if it happens) if you think $30/LP is OK.

36 minutes ago, bresna said:

No need to wait for that second pressing (if it happens) if you think $30/LP is OK.

A lot of people apparently think that $30/LP is a fair going rate. So factor in the extras of the packaging, and it's a fair market price.

The consumer is driving this market, not the label. If people stop paying those prices in the open market, either the prices will come down or the product goes away.

Me, I can't imagine ANY LP sounding as good in 20 years as it does today, not with normal playings. Of course, if the pops and clicks tell the story of your life to you, you know, you are happy with that. I know I am. But $30...no.  It's like a ne car that way, loses value the moment you drive it off the lot, loses pristinity the first time the needle plays it.

But tell that to the marketplace, they ain't gona wanna hear all that.

59 minutes ago, bresna said:

If that's the case, just go to https://store.bluenote.com/products/lee-morgan-the-complete-live-at-the-lighthouse?_pos=1&_sid=784824ae5&_ss=r&variant=40623948234943 and order yourself a copy. No need to wait for that second pressing (if it happens) if you think $30/LP is OK.

I would but shipping to the UK and import duty would hike it way beyond that unfortunately.  That price in the UK and I'd think about it.

I was told by a very reputable UK retailer that no copies of the LP box were distributed here.  That's borne out by the fact that Amazon has been the only source I've seen fulfil orders - presumably they shipped US to UK themselves.

Edited by mjazzg

3 hours ago, bresna said:

The "Limited edition" sticker on the LP box:

[IMG]

Actually "Limited edition 1st pressing".

I also should note that Blue Note's website is now listing several hundred LP box sets as an "overrun" (several hundred overrun?) and jacked up the price to $350.

This ain't your father's Blue Note.

Sleight of hand. Jesus.

Glad I got the cd version. 

Edited by Brad

Mine is 766 (shame it isn’t 666).

That is interesting concerning the Amazon UK fulfilment. No mention of it coming in for distribution from the US, might have been Europe. From the Hoffmann Board it would seem that not all Amazon UK preorders were fulfilled.

Seemed pricey at the time but maybe I got a bargain? :rolleyes:

Edited by sidewinder

30 minutes ago, jazzbo said:

A more modern mix, the presentation brought forward, slightly (slightly, imo nothing to worry about) louder than the 3 cd version.

Thanks.  The CD version is now only $66 on Amazon, but I am currently facing a lot of unforeseen expenses.  I will probably have to pass.

Understood, my best friend in Austin just experienced a 25,000 dollar house repair and had to cancel his preorder; I bought the UHQCD set and gave him my US set because I know how much he was looking forward to this (being both a Morgan fan and a jazz trumpeter as well).

It will be around when you get around to affording it. The 12 LP set. . . probably not.

13 minutes ago, jazzbo said:

Understood, my best friend in Austin just experienced a 25,000 dollar house repair and had to cancel his preorder; I bought the UHQCD set and gave him my US set because I know how much he was looking forward to this (being both a Morgan fan and a jazz trumpeter as well).

It will be around when you get around to affording it. The 12 LP set. . . probably not.

I refuse to spend more than 4 or 5 bucks for an LP, so the LP set was never in the cards to begin with.

32 minutes ago, Teasing the Korean said:

I refuse to spend more than 4 or 5 bucks for an LP, so the LP set was never in the cards to begin with.

For me either. New vinyl is way too expensive for me and a crapshoot often quality- and defect-free-wise.

Edited by jazzbo