Lee Morgan - Complete Live at the Lighthouse

Mark13

1 hour ago, jazzbo said:

Understood, my best friend in Austin just experienced a 25,000 dollar house repair and had to cancel his preorder; I bought the UHQCD set and gave him my US set because I know how much he was looking forward to this (being both a Morgan fan and a jazz trumpeter as well).

You're a good man.

• Replies 506
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My opinion on buying new vinyl is this…

Why would I pay close to *twice* the price (or more!) of a typical comparable CD —for a media format I’m *not* especially fond of?

I will buy old vinyl if it’s relatively cheap, or if it’s a title that’s impossibly expensive on CD, or if it’s never been on CD before (and it’s an old release). I’ve not yet bought anything on “new” vinyl, even though there are a few things that have been vinyl exclusives.

Like there’s a nice late 60’s live Nathan Davis date I’d love to have, but I’m NOT paying over $20/platter for a multi-LP set (well over $60 or even $70 and up, iirc), when the whole 5-sided LP issue could have fit PERFECTLY on 2 nice, long CD’s — for $35. Or that unreleased live Billy Harper thing from 1975 — LP only.

You are missing out on that Nathan Davis - it is very good !  Of course, it is a shame that it has not been put out on CD - or download.

Personally I am more than happy that they are giving us the vinyl option, for those of us who have a strong preference for it given the setup that we have. Long may it last !

Edited by sidewinder

2 hours ago, Rooster_Ties said:

My opinion on buying new vinyl is this…

Why would I pay close to *twice* the price (or more!) of a typical comparable CD —for a media format I’m *not* especially fond of?

I will buy old vinyl if it’s relatively cheap, or if it’s a title that’s impossibly expensive on CD, or if it’s never been on CD before (and it’s an old release). I’ve not yet bought anything on “new” vinyl, even though there are a few things that have been vinyl exclusives.

Like there’s a nice late 60’s live Nathan Davis date I’d love to have, but I’m NOT paying over $20/platter for a multi-LP set (well over $60 or even $70 and up, iirc), when the whole 5-sided LP issue could have fit PERFECTLY on 2 nice, long CD’s — for $35. Or that unreleased live Billy Harper thing from 1975 — LP only.

I wouldn't necessarily mind paying those LP prices if the label included a download card. I am not paying for this stuff twice and I listen to music digitally far more frequently than i do on my turntable.

Lately, I've been trying to buy my LPs from Amazon. At least that way, they have AutoRIP, which, for mainstream record labels at least, allows a download of any LP you buy from them.

16 hours ago, Teasing the Korean said:

Late to the party.

Who has the CD version?  How does it compare sound-wise or content-wise with the 3-CD version?

I think if this was just a reissue of the 3CD set, then probably not worth it. But this set is more about all the additional tracks. The band was really on fire.

9 hours ago, BFrank said:

I think if this was just a reissue of the 3CD set, then probably not worth it. But this set is more about all the additional tracks. The band was really on fire.

Thanks.  I realize that folks probably have not been able to absorb all 8 discs already, but regarding the tune repetition, are they basically playing the same arrangements from set to set, or are the tunes reinvented from show to show?

4 minutes ago, Teasing the Korean said:

…are they basically playing the same arrangements from set to set, or are the tunes reinvented from show to show?

I thought maybe I’d read somewhere that Maupin played bass clarinet on one tune — but possibly tenor on a different performance of the same tune (on another night) — but I can’t confirm that.

There’s a pretty long thread about the box on the Steve Hoffman Forums that I’ve been following too — but between here and there, all the posts are becoming a bit of a jumble… but I’ve not otherwise seen any notable discussion of different arrangements.

8 minutes ago, Rooster_Ties said:

I thought maybe I’d read somewhere that Maupin played bass clarinet on one tune — but possibly tenor on a different performance of the same tune (on another night) — but I can’t confirm that.

There’s a pretty long thread about the box on the Steve Hoffman Forums that I’ve been following too — but between here and there, all the posts are becoming a bit of a jumble… but I’ve not otherwise seen any notable discussion of different arrangements.

Thank you!

Not really the point of any band of this type. The point was to bring it fresh and hot within a set framework. A "show" if you will. The variety, the "different every night" thing would be in the soloing and the spontaneity generated therein. This was not a Plugged Nickle-eque escapade in reinventing everything every night. This was an Next-Gen Hard Bop band plugging in to the cultural zeitgeist of Black Nationalism/Economic Independence (apparently there was some sort of consortium afoot to buy the Lighthouse from Howard Rumsey, and he almost sold!). That's the context for this music, both what's on the records and why it went the way it went.

5EB1ABFA-47B9-4A33-86F2-E2E4E0205694.png

23 minutes ago, JSngry said:

Not really the point of any band of this type. The point was to bring it fresh and hot within a set framework. A "show" if you will. The variety, the "different every night" thing would be in the soloing and the spontaneity generated therein. This was not a Plugged Nickle-eque escapade in reinventing everything every night. This was an Next-Gen Hard Bop band plugging in to the cultural zeitgeist of Black Nationalism/Economic Independence (apparently there was some sort of consortium afoot to buy the Lighthouse from Howard Rumsey, and he almost sold!). That's the context for this music, both what's on the records and why it went the way it went.

This would have been my assumption.  Thanks for clarifying.  :tup

11 hours ago, Teasing the Korean said:

Thanks.  I realize that folks probably have not been able to absorb all 8 discs already, but regarding the tune repetition, are they basically playing the same arrangements from set to set, or are the tunes reinvented from show to show?

Note that the band was concentrating on the new tunes while they were being recorded. Listening to the Both/And stuff, they had a much bigger repertoire, including "Ceora," "Willow Weep for Me," and Mabern's "The Chieftain" and "Rakin' and Scrapin'."

On 9/6/2021 at 0:48 PM, mjzee said:

So far, I've had a different experience.  I ordered it from them on Saturday.  First the entire site crashed while I was paying with PayPal.  It wasn't billed, so I went through the process again.  The PayPal part went through, but I've yet to receive an acknowledgement of the order from MovieMars.  I sent them an email yesterday, but it is a holiday weekend.

What has MovieMars done with your order to date?

I have not only realized I never got any acknowledgement yet, I can't even find my print out of the order/order # to initiate some unpleasant email exchanges. Upset with myself and with them. Whatever happens here they are on the Permanently Banned list.

17 minutes ago, Dan Gould said:

I have not only realized I never got any acknowledgement yet, I can't even find my print out of the order/order # to initiate some unpleasant email exchanges. Upset with myself and with them. Whatever happens here they are on the Permanently Banned list.

MovieMars is a scam. They don't have the majority of what they claim in stock, and in the event they do it takes weeks or months to arrive because they use budget shipping agents. Garbage business. 

12 minutes ago, Dan Gould said:

It’s been a pretty unprofessional experience, but will hopefully soon have a happy ending.  Like you, I didn’t think to print the order acknowledgment after placing the order (because I expected an email), but since I paid with PayPal, I had a receipt from them.  I forwarded that to MovieMars twice.  The second time, they told me that due to a glitch, they had no stock and no information when it would be in stock, and what would I like?  I thought about the various pros and cons, and replied later that day that I’d like a refund.  The next morning, I got an email from them that they can’t accommodate my refund request because the item has already been shipped!  I asked for a shipping number; apparently it will be delivered via DHL on Saturday.  It ain’t over till it’s over, so we’ll see.  The only plus I can say is, given the high level of professionalism I’ve come to expect from Amazon, DG, ImportCDs and the like, this experience has been almost charmingly amateurish.

33 minutes ago, mjzee said:

It’s been a pretty unprofessional experience, but will hopefully soon have a happy ending.  Like you, I didn’t think to print the order acknowledgment after placing the order (because I expected an email), but since I paid with PayPal, I had a receipt from them.  I forwarded that to MovieMars twice.  The second time, they told me that due to a glitch, they had no stock and no information when it would be in stock, and what would I like?  I thought about the various pros and cons, and replied later that day that I’d like a refund.  The next morning, I got an email from them that they can’t accommodate my refund request because the item has already been shipped!  I asked for a shipping number; apparently it will be delivered via DHL on Saturday.  It ain’t over till it’s over, so we’ll see.  The only plus I can say is, given the high level of professionalism I’ve come to expect from Amazon, DG, ImportCDs and the like, this experience has been almost charmingly amateurish.

Well I am glad it is working out for you, we will see what happens from here now that I will try to reach them. Definitely will not waste time in the future on this company, surely not as a direct consumer (I think I've ordered thru Amazon but they can't afford to screw up that relationship so they generally don't screw up those orders too terribly.)

Thank you.

1 hour ago, Dan Gould said:

ah shit, was just wondering about this myself.