Lee Morgan - Complete Live at the Lighthouse

Mark13

26 minutes ago, mikeweil said:

My thoughts exactly.

That abundance of comments and interviews is just right.

And I have to say the visual feel of the whole thing (even the CD version I have), is really solid. All those Liberty-era BN logos, the font of the cd numbers and other non-liners lettering.

And all those photos of Lee!! I first saw most of them for a split second each in the “I Called Him Morgan” doc (which I was fortunate to see here in DC at the National Gallery, even before it’s probably brief theatrical run). But never in a million years did I expect I’d ever own something with so many of them, let alone so appropriately appropriated for multiple pseudo album-covers.

The whole project — wonder of wonders — just looks really well thought out. That we got such a lovey product that really celebrates Lee like this, musically and visually — is really amazing.

And all for just a hair over $60, at least in my case, made this a no brainer to get — despite my attempts to resist for several weeks. Sure glad I gave in and grabbed it.

• Replies 506
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

11 minutes ago, felser said:

Grab yourself a $60 set of Sennheiser headphones, and crank it up!

If you knew what I listened to stuff on these days, you'd know I'd need a lot more than just a $60 pair of headphones.

(My 15-year old mid-range bookshelf stereo that I had in the living room died about 3-4 years ago, and about a year later when (unrelated) I finally broke down and got a cheap Blu-ray player to replace my old VHS/DVD player (which I had been using to play CD's on, thru our TV as a temporary workaround --  mind you, we live in a 635 sq-ft apartment) -- I found that the sound-quality of even the cheap Blu-ray player and our hi-def TV resulted in sound that was really far superior than my old bookshelf stereo system.

Then the pandemic hit (and I lost my job when the Museum I worked for had to shut-down and lay-off 85% of the staff for over a year, and has still only rehired about 10% of us (including me) since we reopened 3 days a week back in April)... ...and so I've still just been using the TV and Blu-ray combo for quite a while now (which even out of the standard, built-in TV speakers, sounds kinda shockingly good, on a 12 year old Sony hi-def TV -- not a huge screen, but good sound, apparently.  But with no way to plug in any headphones

1 hour ago, Rooster_Ties said:

If you knew what I listened to stuff on these days, you'd know I'd need a lot more than just a $60 pair of headphones.

(My 15-year old mid-range bookshelf stereo that I had in the living room died about 3-4 years ago, and about a year later when (unrelated) I finally broke down and got a cheap Blu-ray player to replace my old VHS/DVD player (which I had been using to play CD's on, thru our TV as a temporary workaround --  mind you, we live in a 635 sq-ft apartment) -- I found that the sound-quality of even the cheap Blu-ray player and our hi-def TV resulted in sound that was really far superior than my old bookshelf stereo system.

Then the pandemic hit (and I lost my job when the Museum I worked for had to shut-down and lay-off 85% of the staff for over a year, and has still only rehired about 10% of us (including me) since we reopened 3 days a week back in April)... ...and so I've still just been using the TV and Blu-ray combo for quite a while now (which even out of the standard, built-in TV speakers, sounds kinda shockingly good, on a 12 year old Sony hi-def TV -- not a huge screen, but good sound, apparently.  But with no way to plug in any headphones

Tom, sorry to hear about your job loss (I can relate).   There are probably others who have suggestions which involve bluetooth and wireless headphones, but I don't do any of that, so not sure.  Or maybe something like this would work:

https://www.amazon.com/30S1-01260-Stereo-Female-Y-Cable-Connector/dp/B000I23TTE/ref=asc_df_B000I23TTE/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=309708743736&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=7733095689609765832&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9003711&hvtargid=pla-406644626775&psc=1&tag=&ref=&adgrpid=60510342446&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvadid=309708743736&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=7733095689609765832&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9003711&hvtargid=pla-406644626775

That's why you get all up under them speakers, so they dodn't have to go anywhere but striagt to you ear - but they still got JUST a teence of air.

Look - I've had genuinely good audio equipment for about a year and a half out of my entire life. My apartment got robbed, and ever since then...settling in some form or fashion. So I've learned how to hear great things on shit equipment. Great music is there even if great sound isn't.

2 hours ago, JSngry said:

That's why you get all up under them speakers, so they dodn't have to go anywhere but striagt to you ear - but they still got JUST a teence of air.

Look - I've had genuinely good audio equipment for about a year and a half out of my entire life. My apartment got robbed, and ever since then...settling in some form or fashion. So I've learned how to hear great things on shit equipment. Great music is there even if great sound isn't.

Understood.  I play my music 90% of the time on an $80 Sony boombox, listening through $60 Sennheiser headphones.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/23/2021 at 3:04 PM, Rooster_Ties said:

I have a Sony TV about that old, paid good money for it, has had heavy use and performs perfectly, and it has great sound via the speakers, especially if you use the EQ to tweak the sound. I bet you could get a cheap headphone amp that would be fed from the RCA analog outputs from the TV. Could be a good upgrade in sound or possibly expand listening time. 

Edited by jazzbo

I could have sworn my friend Mr. Felser (and Rooster) posted something about the edginess of this era of hard/post bop and how exciting it is but I can't find the posts now. Anyway I have to say that for me, all of that edginess (not the word used originally) comes from Maupin, and that I really really should have remembered that it was Maupin's playing on the original 3-disc set that kept me from pulling it out very often.

I love Lee on these tunes; I love Mabes too. And I am going to enjoy the booklet which is nicely done.

But I can't get with Maupin. I know, I know, I may be in a severe minority here. But his playing makes me want to skip ahead on 95% of these tracks.

Oh well.

re:Maupin - I always put him in the Joe camp as far as source code, but...what about John Gilmore? Those moments where he enters on a long strong tone and then rides up and down from there? I ws reading an old Gilmore thread here and it was posited by people who were there that a lot of people were checking out Gilmore, not just Coltrane, and not just early on. Maupin's time-line definitely would have him plenty close real time proximity with Gilmore, no?

I think(?) I remember a decade ago comparing Maupin to Wayne(!) specifically on that first disk of the Chick Complete “Is” Sessions.

But I can’t remember exactly how much I thought his technical approach on that material reminded me of Wayne, or if it was more an overall impression I had.

In any case, at one point I used to think Maupin was really channeling Wayne in at least some regard on those “Is” Sessions — specifically Wayne’s playing from around 1969, plus or minus a couple years (at most).

EDIT:  But I don’t think (and never thought) he sounds particularly Wayne-y on the Lighthouse dates.

Edited by Rooster_Ties

3 hours ago, Dan Gould said:

I could have sworn my friend Mr. Felser (and Rooster) posted something about the edginess of this era of hard/post bop and how exciting it is but I can't find the posts now.

3 hours ago, Dan Gould said:

I could have sworn my friend Mr. Felser (and Rooster) posted something about the edginess of this era of hard/post bop and how exciting it is but I can't find the posts now.

http://www.organissimo.org/forum/index.php?/topic/86246-roy-brooks-understanding/&page=5#comment-1756991

Hi Dan, it was here!

42 minutes ago, felser said:

DOH! And now I recall planning to write a post about how this describes the Maupinized part of the Morgan box set and how it wasn't my cuppa.

I do thank you both though for saving me the time and money to verify that Understanding ain't my cup of tea either. :g

3 minutes ago, Dan Gould said:

I do thank you both though for saving me the time and money to verify that Understanding ain't my cup of tea either. :g

Yeah, Dan. I’d sample the hell out of Understanding first (I think it’s all streamable, and might even all be on YouTube too), if I were you.

I’d be shocked if it floated your boat much. It’s not so much crazy-out, as it is crazy-intense (especially Garnett, much of whom is farther out than Maupin on the Lighthouse set).

32 minutes ago, Rooster_Ties said:

Yeah, Dan. I’d sample the hell out of Understanding first (I think it’s all streamable, and might even all be on YouTube too), if I were you.

I’d be shocked if it floated your boat much. It’s not so much crazy-out, as it is crazy-intense (especially Garnett, much of whom is farther out than Maupin on the Lighthouse set).

Yes Garnett is the big blinking red warning sign for me, and was from jump.

8 hours ago, Rooster_Ties said:

I think(?) I remember a decade ago comparing Maupin to Wayne(!) specifically on that first disk of the Chick Complete “Is” Sessions.

Just listened to / listening to again -- the entirety of disc one of the Complete "Is" -- and Maupin is way more in Wayne's territory (imho), than I think I've ever heard him before, or since.  Hard to say if I'd actually mistake Maupin for Wayne if I was hearing this material for the very first time -- but I think(?) this is about as close as ANYONE in this timeframe ever got to Wayne's sort of approach.

And now that I'm listening more closely the second time thru, I am definitely hearing a lot of moments that really sound like Wayne -- maybe even a LOT like Wayne in spots.

On 10/8/2021 at 8:27 PM, Rooster_Ties said:

Just listened to / listening to again -- the entirety of disc one of the Complete "Is" -- and Maupin is way more in Wayne's territory (imho), than I think I've ever heard him before, or since.  Hard to say if I'd actually mistake Maupin for Wayne if I was hearing this material for the very first time -- but I think(?) this is about as close as ANYONE in this timeframe ever got to Wayne's sort of approach.

And now that I'm listening more closely the second time thru, I am definitely hearing a lot of moments that really sound like Wayne -- maybe even a LOT like Wayne in spots.

Do you feel these distinctions can be heard on just the IS album itself? I used to have the Complete IS Sessions but recently bought the Japanese issue of IS

On 10/13/2021 at 3:09 AM, CJ Shearn said:

Do you feel these distinctions can be heard on just the IS album itself? I used to have the Complete IS Sessions but recently bought the Japanese issue of IS

I’ve only owned the material in the 2cd set configuration — with its division of the more inside/structured material on disc 1, and the more outside/free stuff on disc two.

I’ll have to look up the original IS album configuration, and see what of the out/free material is represented (as I’ve listened to the ‘inside’ disc 1 of set about 10x more over the years, than the ‘free’ disc 2 material).

Edited by Rooster_Ties