Mark13

Lee Morgan - Complete Live at the Lighthouse

501 posts in this topic

I don't sense a lack of dynamics or compression artefacts in either the US or Japanese versions of the set in my system.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, jazzbo said:

I don't sense a lack of dynamics or compression artefacts in either the US or Japanese versions of the set in my system.

OK, but I said "compared to the earlier versions".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/2/2021 at 2:29 PM, Dan Gould said:

George (Dan) is getting upset!

:g

 

I did not anticipate quite so many glowing reviews. I know - I'll break down and buy it, then choose my favorite performances for my own personal 3 disc set. 

The booklet gives and overview of each night/set and identifies particular performances which seemed to transcend others. There are also a couple of tunes that were played just once. I too had the same idea of paring it down to my own "set" and was going to use the recommendations in the liner notes as a starting point.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, greggery peccary said:

The booklet gives and overview of each night/set and identifies particular performances which seemed to transcend others. There are also a couple of tunes that were played just once. I too had the same idea of paring it down to my own "set" and was going to use the recommendations in the liner notes as a starting point.

You can also use the track selections from the original 3CD set as a starting point!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, J.A.W. said:

OK, but I said "compared to the earlier versions".

The presentation of the new mix is different--more modern, as if one were closer to the stage and with a less hard right and left orientation--than the earlier versions, but dynamics are improved imo. One could say the soundstage was slightly compressed but the numbers and my ears don't show the music sound is.

Anyway, I always take Hoffman reviews with a salt shaker handy. So much depends on an individual's system and perception system. I generally take a chance after reading about a release in several places or just take an intuitive leap. I'm glad I went for this one, better sound for me than the 3 cd set or the single disc I have. And lots of great music.

Edited by jazzbo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, jazzbo said:

The presentation of the new mix is different--more modern, as if one were closer to the stage and with a less hard right and left orientation--than the earlier versions, but dynamics are improved imo. One could say the soundstage was slightly compressed but the numbers and my ears don't show the music sound is.

Anyway, I always take Hoffman reviews with a salt shaker handy. So much depends on an individual's system and perception system. I generally take a chance after reading about a release in several places or just take an intuitive leap. I'm glad I went for this one, better sound for me than the 3 cd set or the single disc I have. And lots of great music.

Thanks. I read some of the opinions over there and noticed the different views, and just mentioned them here without giving my impression - which I don't have yet, I need to hear the set on my system first and intend to get it later this month.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I hope you enjoy the sound. I feel fairly confident you will. I am equally confident you'll enjoy all the music--I particularly like hearing full sets on consecutive nights like this. . . I feel as if i'm a part of a historic run.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, jazzbo said:

I hope you enjoy the sound. I feel fairly confident you will. I am equally confident you'll enjoy all the music--I particularly like hearing full sets on consecutive nights like this. . . I feel as if i'm a part of a historic run.

Funny you should say that, I just got that kind of feeling - being part of a historic run, even though it was years before I was born - when I listened to the first couple of discs of Mosaic's Savory Collection set, which I only got the other day. Wonderful set, a historic document. But I'm digressing...

Edited by J.A.W.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's a great set! I bought a copy for my father as well as he read a review and was interested in it, especially as it had Fats Waller sides that had not appeared before--about 35 years ago I introduced him to some Waller music and he became a big fan. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For those on the fence regarding the new mastering, that's trivial compared to the content of this set. If you like Lee and this group, and you like LIVE Lee (none other exists with him as *leader*) then it's a no-brainer. It's 8 CDs and no two performances are alike. And they didn't phone it in, I can tell you that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Indeed, it was a surprise just how strong many of these alternate takes  are. The whole thing is musically very strong and probably my favourite ‘live’ box set since the Miles Plugged Nickel. 

Some great live releases of late, taking into account the recent Roy Brooks as well.

8 hours ago, J.A.W. said:

Funny you should say that, I just got that kind of feeling - being part of a historic run, even though it was years before I was born - when I listened to the first couple of discs of Mosaic's Savory Collection set, which I only got the other day. Wonderful set, a historic document. But I'm digressing...

I’ve hardly touched the surface of that one yet and I need to put that right !

Edited by sidewinder

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, mjzee said:

Can't believe people are being so literal.  I'd also venture to say that 2021 is a good year for Lee Morgan.

Just as I am trying to make sure that Percy France has a 'moment' in 2021.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, BFrank said:

For those on the fence regarding the new mastering, that's trivial compared to the content of this set. If you like Lee and this group, and you like LIVE Lee (none other exists with him as *leader*) then it's a no-brainer. It's 8 CDs and no two performances are alike. And they didn't phone it in, I can tell you that.

I don't agree, a loud mastering can make the music unlistenable (headaches, fatigue, that kind of thing), at least for me. I'm certainly not saying that's the case here, but the so-called "loudness wars" have done a lot of harm, especially in rock music, but not only there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/4/2021 at 2:38 AM, BFrank said:

For those on the fence regarding the new mastering, that's trivial compared to the content of this set. If you like Lee and this group, and you like LIVE Lee (none other exists with him as *leader*) then it's a no-brainer. It's 8 CDs and no two performances are alike. And they didn't phone it in, I can tell you that.

You mean the only OFFICIAL Live Lee as a leader. There is also the 'Lighthouse' live set which is really at the Both/And and the 'Live in Baltimore' live set which is really in Hyattsville, MD.

There is also a private recording from Virginia in late 1971 which I submitted to Blue Note for consideration. I never heard back, but I am sure the sound is not good enough. I had warned the guy with the tape but he was persistent. Cost me a couple of emails.

The audio from the Soul TV show also came out on Fresh Sound. There was an audience, so that counts. There may be a gig from the Smithsonian as well, confirmation is needed.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, bertrand said:

You mean the only OFFICIAL Live Lee as a leader. There is also the 'Lighthouse' live set which is really at the Both/And and the 'Live in Baltimore' live set which is really in Hyattsville, MD.

There is also a private recording from Virginia in late 1971 which I submitted to Blue Note for consideration. I never heard back, but I am sure the sound is not good enough. I had warned the guy with the tape but he was persistent. Cost me a couple of emails.

The audio from the Soul TV show also came out on Fresh Sound. There was an audience, so that counts. There may be a gig from the Smithsonian as well, confirmation is needed.

 

So you have this 1971 recording? Or you were a go-between? I'd be curious just about the band members at that time, all the same as the Lighthouse and And/Or recordings?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Dan Gould said:

So you have this 1971 recording? Or you were a go-between? I'd be curious just about the band members at that time, all the same as the Lighthouse and And/Or recordings?

 

Harper, Mabern, Merritt and Billy Higgins.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just gave in, and ordered the CD version from Amazon— for $60.30 including free shipping!!

About 7-10 days ago, Amazon had it fir $66, but about 5 days ago they bumped it back up to $78 (uugh).

Then just this morning I noticed they’d dropped it back down to $67.

PLUS — I had a one-time 10% off an entire Amazon order discount code (which of all places, it got when I just changed my dad’s mailing address with the USPS for all his snail mail).

So I got the Lee Morgan for $60 — plus Roy Brooks Understanding for just $18 — all with free shipping. And I also got the Fleetwood Mac 1969-74 box (8cd) for only $35.

Certainly didn’t need the Fleetwood Mac — but for barely $4.38 per disc, I figured, what the heck!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Rooster_Ties said:

Just gave in, and ordered the CD version from Amazon— for $60.30 including free shipping!!

About 7-10 days ago, Amazon had it fir $66, but about 5 days ago they bumped it back up to $78 (uugh).

Then just this morning I noticed they’d dropped it back down to $67.

PLUS — I had a one-time 10% off an entire Amazon order discount code (which of all places, it got when I just changed my dad’s mailing address with the USPS for all his snail mail).

So I got the Lee Morgan for $60 — plus Roy Brooks Understanding for just $18 — all with free shipping. And I also got the Fleetwood Mac 1969-74 box (8cd) for only $35.

Certainly didn’t need the Fleetwood Mac — but for barely $4.38 per disc, I figured, what the heck!

The Fleetwood Mac is beautifully done, and has a lot of great music on it.   'Then Play On', 'Kiln House', 'Future Games', and 'Bare Trees' are all pretty great, a lot of wonderful Danny Kirwan.  And the live CD of the McVie/Welch version of the band is much stronger than any of the remaining studio albums that version released.  Money well spent on all three purchases.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, bertrand said:

You mean the only OFFICIAL Live Lee as a leader. There is also the 'Lighthouse' live set which is really at the Both/And and the 'Live in Baltimore' live set which is really in Hyattsville, MD.

There is also a private recording from Virginia in late 1971 which I submitted to Blue Note for consideration. I never heard back, but I am sure the sound is not good enough. I had warned the guy with the tape but he was persistent. Cost me a couple of emails.

The audio from the Soul TV show also came out on Fresh Sound. There was an audience, so that counts. There may be a gig from the Smithsonian as well, confirmation is needed.

 

Yes. Official, of course. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Whoever entered this box set's information into the MusicBrainz database didn't do a great job. First off, the title is not "The Complete Live At The Lighthouse (50th Anniversary Edition)". In fact, it doesn't say this anywhere on the artwork. One of the discs has the set number wrong on a track or two. Two or three CDs have no space between CD and the disc number (CD1 instead of CD 1). Most of the track namess have a space before the title. All of the track names have the word "Live" in them. Duh - it's a live recording. No need to put that in every track title.

Though I suppose having to edit nearly every track title for a few typos is better than having to type them all myself. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For those in the US still considering ordering this, MovieMars.com still has it for $47.83 with free shipping (and no tax).  I ordered it from them (have bought a lot from them in the past), and it was packed quite well in a larger cardboard box (a la Mosaic packing).

https://www.moviemars.com/ProductDetails.aspx?i=22798868

Edited by Ron S

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Ron S said:

For those in the US still considering ordering this, MovieMars.com still has it for $47.83 with free shipping (and no tax).  I ordered it from them (have bought a lot from them in the past), and it was packed quite well in a larger cardboard box (a la Mosaic packing).

https://www.moviemars.com/ProductDetails.aspx?i=22798868

So far, I've had a different experience.  I ordered it from them on Saturday.  First the entire site crashed while I was paying with PayPal.  It wasn't billed, so I went through the process again.  The PayPal part went through, but I've yet to receive an acknowledgement of the order from MovieMars.  I sent them an email yesterday, but it is a holiday weekend.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ron S said:

For those in the US still considering ordering this, MovieMars.com still has it for $47.83 with free shipping (and no tax).  I ordered it from them (have bought a lot from them in the past), and it was packed quite well in a larger cardboard box (a la Mosaic packing).

https://www.moviemars.com/ProductDetails.aspx?i=22798868

OK with a birthday coming up, you convinced me, especially with the Hargrove/Mulgrew thing with free shipping and same price as Amazon. Even though I am almost certain I had sworn off of MovieMars for some ill-fated order in the last few years. Or was that ImportCDs?

37 minutes ago, mjzee said:

So far, I've had a different experience.  I ordered it from them on Saturday.  First the entire site crashed while I was paying with PayPal.  It wasn't billed, so I went through the process again.  The PayPal part went through, but I've yet to receive an acknowledgement of the order from MovieMars.  I sent them an email yesterday, but it is a holiday weekend.

Hmm, maybe it was MovieMars.  Although the order seemed to go thru and I printed the page off the website with the order number.

We shall see.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, mjzee said:

So far, I've had a different experience.  I ordered it from them on Saturday.  First the entire site crashed while I was paying with PayPal.  It wasn't billed, so I went through the process again.  The PayPal part went through, but I've yet to receive an acknowledgement of the order from MovieMars.  I sent them an email yesterday, but it is a holiday weekend.

I had the same experience in terms of receiving a PayPal payment confirmation, but not a separate MovieMars acknowledgment.  When I emailed them about the status of the order, I just referred to the order number in the PayPal confirmation, and they responded within a business day or two.  I think their customer service is US-based and only available on business days, so you'll probably hear back tomorrow or Wednesday, I'd imagine.  Over the years, I've found with them--similar to other online retailers like ImportCDs, DeepDiscount, Caiman (a blast from the past), etc.--that it may occasionally take reaching out more than once, and there may be an occasional screw-up in terms of whether something you order is actually in stock, but they eventually make it right one way or another.  

3 hours ago, Dan Gould said:

OK with a birthday coming up, you convinced me, especially with the Hargrove/Mulgrew thing with free shipping and same price as Amazon. Even though I am almost certain I had sworn off of MovieMars for some ill-fated order in the last few years. Or was that ImportCDs?

Hmm, maybe it was MovieMars.  Although the order seemed to go thru and I printed the page off the website with the order number.

We shall see.

See my post above in response to mjzee.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/30/2021 at 0:48 PM, Brad said:

Things that are listed as All Sold Out or OOS in the BN store come back in stock. As to the Lighthouse LP set, since it’s said to be limited I’d be surprised if they make additional copies beyond the amount they said they’d produce. If they do, fans might be up in arms. 

The "Limited edition" sticker on the LP box:

[IMG]

Actually "Limited edition 1st pressing".

I also should note that Blue Note's website is now listing several hundred LP box sets as an "overrun" (several hundred overrun?) and jacked up the price to $350.

This ain't your father's Blue Note.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.