Billy Hart Corner

mjzee

On 12/24/2020 at 11:54 AM, JSngry said:

Horizon was a great label until, as the story goes, Quincy Jones heard the Revolutionary Ensemble record, took it to Herb Albert and asked him why he was putting money into THIS shit, after which, things got weird..

And then 15 years later, Quincy lets Sonny Simmons record that great album on Qwest.  Penance?

On 12/24/2020 at 11:54 AM, JSngry said:

Horizon was a great label until, as the story goes, Quincy Jones heard the Revolutionary Ensemble record, took it to Herb Albert and asked him why he was putting money into THIS shit, after which, things got weird...but at least John Snyder was able to go and do Artist House for a while.

John Snyder then purchased a clockwork and put the Revolutionary Ensemble  disc on the face, took it to Jerry Moss and said maybe we can sell them as clocks. He was shown the door.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 years later...
On 12/27/2020 at 5:17 PM, JSngry said:

Ancient Ritual is an all-time great record.

BTW, as great as Sonny Simmons’ Ancient Ritual is — I think I’ve seen maybe 8-10 cd copies out in the wild over the years, and I think 100% of them had promo stamps on the cover and/or the disc. Seriously!

What’s up with that?? :huh: