Smalls live - how do the donations work?

bertrand

I have a question about Smalls Live streams. There's one every day, sometimes two. I can't watch 'em all, I would go broke. So how do the donations work exactly? I know they are sponsored by generous donors, but there is also an option to donate via Facebook. How is it divvied up? Is the sponsorship funding for the artists and the donations for the club, or is it more complicated than that?

I certainly want to keep the club going, but if the donation portion is for both the club and the artists, and not just the club, I would be inclined to donate more. It is hard to get a feel for what a reasonable donation would be. The Facebook page shows the total contributed and the number of donors for each gig, but the average is all over map. I assume relatives will sometimes pitch in large amounts, so there is no concept of 'average donation'.

On principle, I don't want to watch without donating, but since Smalls starts with a sponsorship, the pressure to donate is a bit less intense than gigs where the artists have zero guarantee.

Thanks for your input.

Bertrand.

They seem to do things backwards   The livestreams are free if you register. A donation to the foundation gives access to their archives. Sponsoring a livestream band is optional and expensive. You can make any donation you like to their foundation or none and still watch the livestreams.    It’s not exactly clear but it seems as if the foundation donation supports the club and the sponsors pay the band.

Edited by kh1958

Excerpts from the website:

There is no charge to become a member of the SmallsLIVE Foundation. Supporting Members are members who make a tax-deductible donation to the SmallsLIVE Foundation. Both free and Supporting members have access to our live-streamed shows. Supporting Members have access to our extensive Audio/Video Archive, which pays royalties to the artists involved.

As Supporting Members of the SmallsLIVE Foundation watch shows in the Archive usage is registered. Artists are payed royalties based on the percentage of their individual usage divided by the overall usage of the Archive. The more popular an artist is the larger his or her share of the royalty payout will be. By listening to your favorite artists in the Archive you are supporting them directly.

It is the policy of Smalls Jazz Club and Mezzrow to live stream all of our shows to our website. Streaming begins at the start of the evening and goes until the close of the venues. There is no charge to watch these live streams. Please register as a member and confirm your email address to sign in and begin watching our live stream. Each show is available in our Archive generally one week after the performance.

From a recent email:

Any supporting member that still wants to can sponsor a night of live music.  The sponsor will have their name on the site and newsletter as well as announced at the concert.  It a tax deductible donation.  We are lowering our sponsorship rates to $600 for a Smalls sponsorship and $400 for Mezzrow.  100 % of these sponsorships will go to the artists.  If you are interested in sponsoring a show please email us at foundation@smallslive.com and we can get you more information.  I'd also like to say a donation of any size to our foundation still goes towards supporting the musicians and venues and we appreciate all the kindness of our friends worldwide.

Edited by kh1958