Pimuins Guide to Mal Waldron Records

Pim

In the topic on Mal Waldron I stated proudly that I had collected all of Mal's music as a leader, and from 1964 all his music as a co-leader and sideman as well. I also put forward that I wanted to start a blog reviewing all of his work since that year. Well, I just got started and the first 4 reviews are a fact! I hope some of you guys come and take look now and then. I find it very hard to promote such a blog. I hope it's okay with both JSangry and of course Jim Alfredson if I post a update after every let's say 10 album reviews?

You could find it here:

https://snake-out.blogspot.com

Thanks in advance for reading and I hope I can inspire you to spin some more Mal ;)

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

25 minutes ago, Pim said:

In the topic on Mal Waldron I stated proudly that I had collected all of Mal's music as a leader, and from 1964 all his music as a co-leader and sideman as well. I also put forward that I wanted to start a blog reviewing all of his work since that year. Well, I just got started and the first 4 reviews are a fact! I hope some of you guys come and take look now and then. I find it very hard to promote such a blog. I hope it's okay with both JSangry and of course Jim Alfredson if I post a update after every let's say 10 album reviews?

You could find it here:

Thanks in advance for reading and I hope I can inspire you to spin some more Mal ;)

Good idea .... keep it going ....

Very nice project, looking forward to updates!

One question / comment already: I am not convinced by the date given for Sweet Love Bitter... apparently the movie debuted in January 1967 so that would place the given recording date (March 67) after the release of the movie... If I had to guess, I'd say this date which is given as a recording date e.g. on wikipedia and jazzdisco is really the release date here... also, in Waldron's chronology it feels a bit strange that he would leave his European career for a moment to reassemble his old New York working band (Al Dreares on drums etc) and record a soundtrack after the release of the movie... seems more likely that Sweet Love Bitter belongs into 1965 or early 1966 ... but I can't find any hard evidence (copyright claims at the library of congress are from February 67)

Thanks for all the kind and encouraging words guys! That really motivates me even more to complete this fairly big project :) 

@Niko you could be right on that. I can’t find any other data and no studio is mentioned anywhere. I also once read that Mal did not visit the states until 1973... but that is probably not true. 

I think it's a great project and you should keep the board informed as often as you feel necessary. While your project is obviously much narrower than Hutch's year-long blog has been, it should still spark considerable discussion here and probably more than that created at the site itself.

Hope its a very satisfying and enjoyable process for you.

Thanks again guys. Hope it will be findable trough Google also. And yes feel free to discuss here or in the comments of course. With 30 years young I am hardly an expert on jazz of course.  

@Niko thanks that’s some great research you did there! I will make a correction and a note of this on my blog :) 

44 minutes ago, clifford_thornton said:

Amazing. Thanks for this! I have almost all the records you mention so far (still looking for the trio on Karim) and agree with your assessments.

I got the trio on Karim from Dusty Groove in mid 2019, iirc.

It could easily show up there again without warning (especially used) — you might set up an auto search on “Waldron Karim” so you can get an email aleart.

1 hour ago, Rooster_Ties said:

I got the trio on Karim from Dusty Groove in mid 2019, iirc.

It could easily show up there again without warning (especially used) — you might set up an auto search on “Waldron Karim” so you can get an email aleart.

yeah, I was holding out for an "original" but I think that's become pointless in this day and age!

@clifford_thornton ive only seen on the internet once. But hey nothing is impossible. The reissue is a pretty good alternative and an exact copy of the original. Thanks for reading the blog!

@mjazzg

I hope I am able to convince you. If I manage to do so, set some money aside every month because collecting Mal is indeed expensive ;)  

52 minutes ago, Pim said:

@clifford_thornton 

@mjazzg

I hope I am able to convince you. If I manage to do so, set some money aside every month because collecting Mal is indeed expensive ;)  

I have always struggled to find Mal's records. They seem pretty rare in the UK. Presumably because so many of them are all now in the Netherlands! 

So a first weekly update then, covering the years 1969 and most of 1970 which was in one of Mal's most creative and productive periods. Among the albums are few better known and a few less known albums and the first two he recorded during his first trip to Japan. Hope you enjoy reading them, and thanks again!

P.S.: I really find it hard to promote my blog. If someone knows how to do best please PM me.

thanks, had been impatient and read up already yesterday but I see there's again a new one... re promotion, a tiny thing that would have helped me yesterday: Maybe you could put the link to your blog into your signature (like HutchFan has it)? Don't know if that fools search engines...  but at the very least it makes it easier for us to remember and find it with almost no effort

Thnx for the update ....

Reg "Spanish Bitch" - as rare as it is and enriched with beautiful fold-out cover art - for me it musically is no match for  "Free At Last" (with a different drummer though), which is much more cohesive und determined .... btw regarding sidemen, Waldron always achieved to get the best out of these musicians and some of them had their brightest moments in sessions with him ....

And "Tokyo Bound" is treasurous ....