Keyon Harrold

BillF

1 hour ago, sonnymax said:

So, fighting for civil rights is a fool's errand?

No.  Earlier this year, a teenager in Akron was randomly killed while driving her grandma around.  It was an awful situation.  There were rumors that it was racially motivated and Crump came out calling it a racist attack. 

As it turns out, it was a case of mistaken identity and the people arrested were Black youths, so more wasted futures to compound the tragedy. Ironically, the shooter's car was more identifiable due to a painted tribute to another shooting victim.

In such fraught times, it was irresponsible to make claims that were false.  I'm not dismissing a righteous cause.  Crump is a self-aggrandizing ambulance chaser who has made a name for himself by capitalizing on the suffering of others.  Maybe his higher profile leads to better results and the end justifies the means?

I don't want to minimize the incident, though, my distrust of/distaste for celebrity lawyers notwithstanding.

It's a pretty horrible situation to go through as a parent and child.  It sounds like the hotel could have handled things waaaay better and saved themselves the negative attention.  I imagine that the woman will be identified and suffer some serious consequences now.  Things snowball from a basic lack of (corporate and human) decency. 

Has anyone heard Harrold's The Mugician?  I remember listening to samples and thinking that it sounded along the lines of recent Blue Notes. I've long meant to check out that Criss Cross date.

16 minutes ago, sonnymax said:

Terms I think the families of George Floyd, Trayvon Martin, Michael Brown, etc. would object to.

You can Google and read what the family of the Akron girl had to say about Crump.  I stand by my opinion of him.  I'm not saying that he hasn't advocated for worthwhile causes or successfully undertaken high-profile cases.  Maybe in the age of social media, it takes a certain personality to not wilt under the intense public scrutiny.  However, Crump seems to enjoy being in the limelight too much.

I'll bow out of this thread.  I don't want to derail it further.  In the end, I have confidence (or am naive enough?) to think that justice will be served.  The lady will be found and potentially be prosecuted, the hotel will have to atone for its mistakes and it may result in people and businesses behaving better in the future.  At this point, that's about the best outcome we can expect. 

22 minutes ago, sgcim said:

Then she should be sent over to my place (if she's over 18) for special 'discipline', because she's pretty hot.  If that isn't punishment enough, I don't know what is!:g

I really wish I didn't have to read this when I'm reading a thread about a pretty serious issue. Actually, i really wish I didn't have to read stuff like this at all. Emoji doesn't make it right in my book.

Edited by mjazzg

Just now, CJ Shearn said:

Agreed... as someone who came out as transgender in the past year, I find that offensive and tasteless

@CJ Shearn, apologies for deleting my original quoted post, I just wanted to word it better.

1 minute ago, sgcim said:

Lighten up, I was just kiddin'!:ph34r:

See above.

Why do you think "just kiddin;" makes it any better?  It doesn't undo the undertones of the statement, one iota

3 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

@CJ Shearn, apologies for deleting my original quoted post, I just wanted to word it better.

Why do you think "just kiddin;" makes it any better?  It doesn't undo the undertones of the statement, one iota

True and this is kind of one reason why I have little use for this board anymore to be honest.

• JSngry locked this topic