Irish People Try Krispy Kreme Donuts For The First Time

3 minutes ago, JSngry said:

I've met a few people who actually do not like Krispy Kreme. I don't get it, but hey.

Me, I had to stop eating them, because...can you OD on them? I think you can? I came close enough to have quit while I was ahead.

I never encountered Krispy Kreme until I arrived at Florida State in 1983. To me, donuts were Dunkin' and they remain that way though I very rarely partake, especially working from home for almost all of the last five years - no donuts brought in by reps of various companies.

I know Dunkin Donuts have their detractors. To me KK donuts are just greasy sugar bombs with no substance. Y'all (and I am pretty sure in 1983 this was a southern thing) can have 'em.

19 minutes ago, Dan Gould said:

To me KK donuts are just greasy sugar bombs with no substance.

They an be that, especially if they've been sitting a while. But fresh and hot...mmmmm!

And for that, you need an actual shop, not a box that's been sitting in a grocery store or a 7-11.

1 hour ago, JSngry said:

They an be that, especially if they've been sitting a while. But fresh and hot...mmmmm!

And for that, you need an actual shop, not a box that's been sitting in a grocery store or a 7-11.

Actually, I consider the no-substance element to be intrinsic to "fresh and hot" - then is when it disappears in your mouth.  When congealed and not hot or quite so fresh, they are more substantial empty greasy sugar bombs.

Edited by Dan Gould

I agree with Dan.  I've never found KK remotely appealing -- to the point that I would pass up free KK donuts left in the lunch room.  (This was somewhat common when KK was just breaking into the Chicago market.)  Somewhat ironically there are still a handful of KK outlets in Toronto, though vastly outnumbered by Tim Hortons', while, sadly, there are no Dunkin Donuts franchises anywhere in Canada at all.  There was one hanging on in Montreal as late as 2018, but its franchise was not renewed...

1 hour ago, mjzee said:

Dunkin Donuts are meh, and their coffee is worse.

Now that I cannot imagine, especially when the major competition (outside of all those ridiculous artisan coffee shops in every "hip" city in the country) is Starbucks which is the single nastiest, most bitter and horrifyingly bad "coffee" in the world.

but your mileage may very well vary.

3 hours ago, Dan Gould said:

but your mileage may very well vary.

It do.

3 hours ago, JSngry said:

btw, it's just "Dunkin'" now. Has been since 2019.

OK.  Change to: Dunkin' donuts are meh, and their coffee is worse.

In Houston, we have far better donut offerings.  For example, check out Shipley: https://shipleydonuts.com

And don't forget kolaches: https://kolachefactory.com.  Junk and lunch at the same time!

4 minutes ago, JSngry said:

Shipley's is to donuts what Brookshire's is to grocery stores! :wub:

I've no doubt that this Shipley place is awesome ... I am not comparing artisan donuts to either Dunkin or Krispy Kreme. I am just comparing national chain options and I'll always go Dunkin' over KK for donuts and Dunkin' over Starbucks for coffee. That Starbucks shit is so bitter and nasty, their incredible success is utterly beyond me.

I'd be lying if I said I disliked Krispy Kreme donuts in particular, or glazed donuts in general...

BUT -- there are SO many better and MUCH more interesting options.  Cake donuts -- blueberry, sour cream, spice-flavored, chocolate, occasionally strawberry -- CAKE donuts are infinitely more interesting that almost any Krispy Cream / generic "glazed" donuts.

So I try to avoid Krispy Cream / Glazed whenever I can (unless there are literally no other easy options) -- both are about as "exciting" as plain Rice Crispy Treats, for instance.

Fortunately, I don't have to go into all that...down the street and round the corner, literally 5 minutes or less of a drive  we got this unassuming place.

o.jpg

It sure seems that Bunkie runs the place by herself, god bless her. Maybe she has help in the wee hours, but if so, they're outta there by the time the shop opens.

The apple fritters take precedence over everything else, except when they're out (and if you dally, they will be), in which case, oh well, the donuts are then the best. ESPECIALLY the cake donuts! But a maple glazed will do just fine, if need be.

But those apple fritters...oh my!

2 hours ago, Dan Gould said:

I've no doubt that this Shipley place is awesome ... I am not comparing artisan donuts to either Dunkin or Krispy Kreme. I am just comparing national chain options and I'll always go Dunkin' over KK for donuts and Dunkin' over Starbucks for coffee. That Starbucks shit is so bitter and nasty, their incredible success is utterly beyond me.

FWIW, Shipley's is not at all a purveyor of artisan/hipster donuts. It's just a local/regional chain, as opposed to a national one like Dunkin. 

I rarely set foot inside a donut shop these days, but when I was in college I used to hit up a local Dunkin almost every morning. Their coffee was a remarkably effective hangover cure. 

Point and counterpoint:

The secret world of the Dunkin’ Donuts franchise kings

Hot, Sticky & Sweet

I grew up in Great Lakes region where there is some Dunkin' presence and no Krispy Kreme (at least when I lived there). First came into contact with KK in DC. I don't have strong allegiance to either brand, but in my experience KK is woefully overhyped. This is probably due to 1) not enjoying them super fresh, and 2) seeing countless fundraising types -- typically high school/college students -- selling what appear to be boxes of stale KK doughnuts. Despite a similar local presence, no such brand degradation for DD in my experience.

Apple fritters? Oh yes!

13 hours ago, Dave Garrett said:

FWIW, Shipley's is not at all a purveyor of artisan/hipster donuts. It's just a local/regional chain, as opposed to a national one like Dunkin. 

Well you know 'em; I was just commenting on the photos of the donuts on the home page. Looks like a lot more effort goes into most of those offerings than Dunkin'. And of course way more than KK where they just go down a conveyor belt to be smothered in greasy liquified sugar. But it's hot!

As far as apple fritters, yeah, anytime I'm in. I even get them at the local chain gas station with the daily delivery of bakery goods. How bad can a fritter ever be? It makes me wonder what one might be like from a place like Bunkie's. Probably best that I can't partake, I might have the same reaction as Jim to hot Krispy Kreme and end up OD-ing.

McDonald's is now offering apple fritters, and they are not bad. But still, Bunkie's is just around the corner, not at all a coporate food trough, and they got rent to pay. Even if it is modern-day under-leased strip mall rent, it's still rent and it has to be paid. Those fuckers do not care. So, yeah, Bunkie, you and your smile and warm greeting still got me. No need to change after 20+ years, no need at all. Still if you're traveling out on the interstate....

When we were coming into the office, people would bring in donuts from their favorite suburban/exurban/justoutoftown,period (the length of commuting that people will do when there's a decent(enough) paycheck involved is as inspiring as it is depressing) donuteers, and i tell you - in this metroplexian googolith, individual/MomPop donuteering is alive and well. The only time we would get KK was when a local exec came in/down for facetime, and the only time we saw Dunkin was when the prickhead buffunatos from California popped in to show us how much they "appreciated" us. As usual, they expected us to be thankful for their predictapeatbly transparent acts of cluelessness.

In their defense, however, why would they be any different with donuts than they are about everything else?

I'll bet there were still plenty of sucking up going on for those big-ass Dunkin' boxes.

One thing I will say about Dunkin': the bagel box thing *sucks*. I recall a company rep always bringing that stuff in instead of the donut box. Do you have to be from the northeast or major metropolitan areas to understand what a bagel should be and what is most definitely NOT a bagel except in superficial terms like being round and having a hole in the middle?