Frank Kimbrough - RIP

Kevin Bresnahan

Many years ago, I was talking to the late Steve Schwartz about how much I enjoyed Frank's piano playing. He asked me if I heard the solo show he did live from the WGBH studios in 2008. I told him I didn't hear it and wished I could some day. Steve was kind enough to let me hear it shortly afterward. Two of the nicest guys in Jazz, both gone now.

This is absolutely crushing. I am beyond sad. He was a very good friend of mine and we just exchanged email greetings yesterday on the event of my birthday.

Fortunate to have seen him play many times and to have attended many shows with him as well (note my Avatar).

He was  tremendously warm and witty. Had a dry sense of humor and was a keen observer of irony.

This REALLY hurts.

Love you Frank!

LWayne 

This is devastating.  I loved him as a player and really liked him as a person--got to meet him and have lunch together a couple of years ago while I was in New York (and also got to see him play as part of Maria Schneider's orchestra at Birdland that trip).  I just saw the news on a jazz listserv and let out a shocked groan.  Feels so premature to be talking about his legacy, but part of it's certainly the role he played in elevating the profile of Herbie Nichols' music in the 1980s/90s and beyond.  When I had lunch with him he was really excited about having just recorded a previously-unknown Nichols composition, which iirc was supposed to be part of a various-artists Nichols tribute of some sort... not sure if it ever came out.  I was just eyeballing his recent Monk box-set the other day and thinking that I needed to revisit it soon... now perhaps sooner than I thought, for the saddest of reasons.

I got to enjoy Frank's playing at several Maria Schneider Orchestra performances over the years. We spoke briefly between sets at a March 2017 show. Echoing Ghost, he was excited about coming across a number of Herbie Nichols sketches (or whatever best term is for "idea"). He also described what touring with MSO was like, recalling a bus tour of college performances on the west coast. A talented performer and a very warm individual. I will definitely be playing some Nichols Project recordings and much of the recent Monk project (and then probably other Palmetto sides). I know we lose beloved artists each year, but 2020 can really be over now.  RIP Frank.

3 hours ago, Hardbopjazz said:

Chinen Tweeted this out along with the above article early this evening:

Nate Chinen @natechinen
For the last several hours, I've been swimming in shock and sadness at the sudden death of pianist Frank Kimbrough. An obituary is on the way; in the meantime, here is a 2014 gig review that conveys some of my feeling for his music.

3 hours ago, ghost of miles said:

This is devastating.  I loved him as a player and really liked him as a person--got to meet him and have lunch together a couple of years ago while I was in New York (and also got to see him play as part of Maria Schneider's orchestra at Birdland that trip).  I just saw the news on a jazz listserv and let out a shocked groan.  Feels so premature to be talking about his legacy, but part of it's certainly the role he played in elevating the profile of Herbie Nichols' music in the 1980s/90s and beyond.  When I had lunch with him he was really excited about having just recorded a previously-unknown Nichols composition, which iirc was supposed to be part of a various-artists Nichols tribute of some sort... not sure if it ever came out.  I was just eyeballing his recent Monk box-set the other day and thinking that I needed to revisit it soon... now perhaps sooner than I thought, for the saddest of reasons.

24 newly-found Herbie songs were recorded by 23 pianists at the RVG studio in 2019. Don Sickler produced it. It will come out one day, not sure when. I was there when Frank recorded the lovely 'Tell The Birds I Said Hello'. This is just devastating.