Frank Kimbrough - RIP

Kevin Bresnahan

7 hours ago, bertrand said:

24 newly-found Herbie songs were recorded by 23 pianists at the RVG studio in 2019. Don Sickler produced it. It will come out one day, not sure when. I was there when Frank recorded the lovely 'Tell The Birds I Said Hello'. This is just devastating.

Right, thanks for the clarification, Bertrand—what a thrill it must have been for you to be there. Iirc Frank said some relatives of Herbie’s were there as well, and the piano he played was the same one used for some of Herbie’s Blue Note sides. I thought it was a Sickler-related project and hope that it eventually does come out in some form.

Here’s Nate Chinen’s WBGO obit. I forgot that he wrote the notes for Frank’s Monk box, which is more music that I’ll be revisiting over the next few days. Listened to Lullabluebye and the Herbie Nichols Project’s Love Is Proximity last night. Somehow even sadder this morning, after reading through numerous reactions to his passing on Facebook. He clearly touched a lot of people both as a person and a musician.

Frank Kimbrough

Edited by ghost of miles

5 minutes ago, bertrand said:

Honestly, the more of us tell Sickler how much we want to hear it, the more likely it is to come out.

He definitely was thinking about when I last talked to him in November, I will check in with him again.

I've had a couple of long and enjoyable conversations with him, one over the phone, one at Jazz Congress, both concerned with another Night Lights program that I hope to do eventually.  I think I still have his contact info and will add my voice to those expressing hope for a release.

4 hours ago, ghost of miles said:

I've had a couple of long and enjoyable conversations with him, one over the phone, one at Jazz Congress, both concerned with another Night Lights program that I hope to do eventually.  I think I still have his contact info and will add my voice to those expressing hope for a release.

I can put you in touch. Are you attending JEN next week? I just signed up.