BFT 202 Discussion

Dan Gould

I harbor no illusions that my effort will spark the discussion that Felser's did this month, but hey, hope springs eternal.

This BFT contains 14 tracks and is just over 80 minutes long. There is a theme to selections 1-13, which, if enough tracks are identified, I think will be correctly guessed.

Track 14 is purely for the listening pleasure and sheer WTF-ness of it. Guesses are encouraged.

I do wish to add that, within the limits of my chosen theme, tracks 1-13 were also chosen according to one question:

WWFL?  What Would Felser Like?  

Yes, on quite a few cases I made conscious decisions in favor of options that I thought would appeal to my friend, from my knowledge of his preferences in terms of era as well as prior tunes he has approved of (and avoiding purely pre-bop style performances). We'll see if I done good. If I failed, well, when we pass each other in the halls I hope we can just nod politely and move on.  

:g:g 

Oh, yeah. You know where it is:

http://thomkeith.net/index.php/blindfold-tests/

Edited by Dan Gould

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. Don Wilkerson?

2. Sounds like an early 80s style band but otherwise, not a clue !

5. Art Pepper with Milcho Leviev trio at Ronnie’s?

6. Gigi Gryce’s tune ‘Minority’ played by Bootsie Barnes’ Quartet.

7. Vi Redd?

8. More gloop on the bass than Ms Paltrow

9. Sort of jazz messenger-ish but not Blakey

10. ‘Willow Weep For Me’ - Fathead Newman?

11. ‘Blue Bossa’ - is that Archie Shepp?

12. ‘Willow Weep For Me’ - Zoot Sims at the Left Bank Jazz Society, perhaps?

13. ‘Solar’ - possibly Sal Nistico with Sam Noto?

14. Chet Baker ‘scoring’ from Ben Webster ? :D

3 minutes ago, sidewinder said:

1. Don Wilkerson?

2. Sounds like an early 80s style band but otherwise, not a clue !

5. Art Pepper with Milcho Leviev trio at Ronnie’s?

6. Gigi Gryce’s tune ‘Minority’ played by Bootsie Barnes’ Quartet.

7. Vi Redd?

8. More gloop on the bass than Ms Paltrow

9. Sort of jazz messenger-ish but not Blakey

10. ‘Willow Weep For Me’ - Fathead Newman?

11. ‘Blue Bossa’ - is that Archie Shepp?

12. ‘Willow Weep For Me’ - Zoot Sims at the Left Bank Jazz Society, perhaps?

13. ‘Solar’ - possibly Sal Nistico with Sam Noto?

14. Chet Baker ‘scoring’ from Ben Webster ? :D

1. Not Don Wilkerson but a Don Wilkerson connection.

6. DING DING DING - do you know Bootsie so well that you recognized or do you have the recording?

Not Pepper, Vi Redd, Fathead, Shepp, Zoot, or Nistico.

And neither Chet nor Ben were parties to that attempted drug order. :g

The Fathead, Shepp and Zoot ID's are interesting to me. Can't hear the first Willow as Fathead-like. I'll reserve comment on the Shepp and Zoot thoughts.

Thanks SW!

All right, just when I wondered what the hell I was going to be doing on NYE this year! 

1 - Sounds like a version of Ray Charles' I've Got a Woman but probably not explicitly so (Some passages are really similar). Good tune, nice upbeat organ driven R&B funk. 

2 - Touissant? Maybe not, but it's got a bayou feel to it. It's in the shuffle or something...

3 - Love the stop and go of the rhythm section with the trumpet sailing over them. Nice tempo on this funky tune. 

4 - This pianist is crazy. Wow. Seems like everyone else is trying to catch up or stay with him. 

5 - This is a familiar song. Can't name it or the artists but very nice. 

6 - Great sax player. Like the stop and go aspect of the arrangement. Bass sounds a bit like a 70s or early 80s style recording. 

7 - I dig the organ and the guitar on this one. 

8 - This is nicely chaotic. Lots of bass craziness but the sax player is going off too. Lo fi recording maybe? Enjoyable for sure though. 

9 - Dig the ensemble on this one. I like that first sax solo too. Guy is all over the horn. I like all the reverb too. 

10 - Yeah, this is the stuff. I like the sax and bass playing off of each other in the start of this one. Familiar tune but can't name it...this one has the lope. 

11 - Live recording I think...and I like the way it's mixed. Drums coming through and hitting hard. Love this drummer btw. Great ensemble all around. 

12 - Wait - wasn't this played earlier as well? And this one is live...? Like the piano flourishes here. 

13 - Good lord 16 minutes! Sounds like a Rhodes but with more traditional 50s bop style horn playing. Killer sax. Intense song. 

14 - Lol. Who dis?

Lots of 7+minute tracks. Enjoyable on this melancholy NYE. Thanks for putting this together! 

8 hours ago, Dub Modal said:

All right, just when I wondered what the hell I was going to be doing on NYE this year! 

1 - Sounds like a version of Ray Charles' I've Got a Woman but probably not explicitly so (Some passages are really similar). Good tune, nice upbeat organ driven R&B funk. 

2 - Touissant? Maybe not, but it's got a bayou feel to it. It's in the shuffle or something...

3 - Love the stop and go of the rhythm section with the trumpet sailing over them. Nice tempo on this funky tune. 

4 - This pianist is crazy. Wow. Seems like everyone else is trying to catch up or stay with him. 

5 - This is a familiar song. Can't name it or the artists but very nice. 

6 - Great sax player. Like the stop and go aspect of the arrangement. Bass sounds a bit like a 70s or early 80s style recording. 

7 - I dig the organ and the guitar on this one. 

8 - This is nicely chaotic. Lots of bass craziness but the sax player is going off too. Lo fi recording maybe? Enjoyable for sure though. 

9 - Dig the ensemble on this one. I like that first sax solo too. Guy is all over the horn. I like all the reverb too. 

10 - Yeah, this is the stuff. I like the sax and bass playing off of each other in the start of this one. Familiar tune but can't name it...this one has the lope. 

11 - Live recording I think...and I like the way it's mixed. Drums coming through and hitting hard. Love this drummer btw. Great ensemble all around. 

12 - Wait - wasn't this played earlier as well? And this one is live...? Like the piano flourishes here. 

13 - Good lord 16 minutes! Sounds like a Rhodes but with more traditional 50s bop style horn playing. Killer sax. Intense song. 

14 - Lol. Who dis?

Lots of 7+minute tracks. Enjoyable on this melancholy NYE. Thanks for putting this together! 

Glad so many tunes appealed! Thanks for your comments, though none of the specific thoughts as to personnel, tune, age of recording were accurate.

Dan, I have to say I am flattered by the attention given me in the intro to this BFT!  Dan, yours usually draw more comments than mine, I just got lucky on this one, piquing Jim Sangrey’s curiosity and the new guys are great.  Pleased to report that I made it all the way through every cut, even (especially) the 16 minute one!   You done good by me!

1-      Proto Boogaloo.  Someone like Willis Jackson.  Certainly pleasant enough.  Late 50’s vintage? 2*

2-      What hath “The Sidewinder” wrought?  Again, plenty pleasant, and better for me than #1.  60’s style, but bass makes it sound like a later recording.  Mid 70’s or later.  3*

3-      Yet again, same general feeling, but even another step up from #2.  I like the trumpet player a lot.  Could be any vintage from 60’s-90’s.  4* 

4-      Well yeah, this is for me.  A little surprised you would go for it!   Is it Gene Harris gone crazy somewhere or something, even playing the inside of the piano?  Whatever it is, 5* and I want to own it!  Likely something from the past 30 years (which all blur together for me musically)?  Whatever, you nailed WWFL on this one!

5-      Boppy/boppish/boplike.   Well played, but sounds like these guys could play this in their sleep.  Again, suspect it is a more recent recording than the style would indicate.  Young lion altoist and pianist?  All the right moves, which always makes me suspicious.   3*

6-      Bop.  This sounds like the real thing, by the real guys, digging in on “Star Eyes”, a perfect vehicle.  No more “technique” than #5, but to me more feeling, more heat.  I’ll guess Sonny Stitt, as he is semi-mandatory on every BFT.  Love it.  4.5*  If I end up looking like an idiot on #5/#6, so be it, that’s half the fun 😊.

7-      A better approach for me than #1.  Early 60’s vintage?  In the pocket.  3*

8-      Love the bass player! And the sax is really good.  Drummer doesn’t knock me out.  Good performance bringing new life leaping in post-Lester old chestnut.    4*

9-      First thing that hits me is how poorly recorded this is, which is a shame.  Strikes me as not so good solos by very good players, whole thing sounds underrehearsed.  I should probably know what this is.  Composition sounds like Jymie Merritt’s “Nommo”, but that’s not quite it. 2*

10-   “Willow Weep For Me”, done either very “relaxed” (or lazy), I guess.  The bass player and tenor player are both good, but I don’t really go for this sort of thing.  Drummer is less than great to my ears (at least on this cut) and sort of kills the whole thing for me.  Track would have been much stronger as a tenor/bass duet.  2*

11-   Again not a great recording situation, but the music is strong.   I know the tune, just going blank because I’m old, tired, and distracted (raising a 2 year old grandson as well as working full time, etc.).  Pianist is splendid accompanist and OK soloist, and tenor player maintains interest through a very good long solo. 4*

12-   Same group/recording as #11?   Same song as #10.   I don’t like it as much as I do #11.  It’s a good tune, but a really tired one, and the sax player doesn’t have much to say on it, and falls into licks/cliches.  Nothing wrong with this, just doesn’t do much.  Eddie Lockjaw Davis?  3*

13-    First clue is that I assume we have Chick Corea on Rhodes, his tone is unique.  It’s another standard I’m going blank on ,quite a fine performance, though I’m not placing the album!  Sounds like the Griffith Park Collection, but I can’t find a 16 minute cut on there. Fascinating group.  Good drums.  I want this!  5*

14-   Well, whatever – guess you had to be there!  0*

Postscript - Bootsie Barnes was a Philly guy who passed recently, and he could PLAY!  Not much of anything on record by him.

2 hours ago, felser said:

Dan, I have to say I am flattered by the attention given me in the intro to this BFT!  Dan, yours usually draw more comments than mine, I just got lucky on this one, piquing Jim Sangrey’s curiosity and the new guys are great.  Pleased to report that I made it all the way through every cut, even (especially) the 16 minute one!   You done good by me!

1-      Proto Boogaloo.  Someone like Willis Jackson.  Certainly pleasant enough.  Late 50’s vintage? 2*

No, not Gator Tail. Organ is actually the leader.

4-      Well yeah, this is for me.  A little surprised you would go for it!   Is it Gene Harris gone crazy somewhere or something, even playing the inside of the piano?  Whatever it is, 5* and I want to own it!  Likely something from the past 30 years (which all blur together for me musically)?  Whatever, you nailed WWFL on this one!

I will say my theme came first, and then this one, which started as a possible choice just as something for the more modernist fans, became mandatory as something FWL. (I think we have a new acronym :g )

5-      Boppy/boppish/boplike.   Well played, but sounds like these guys could play this in their sleep.  Again, suspect it is a more recent recording than the style would indicate.  Young lion altoist and pianist?  All the right moves, which always makes me suspicious.   3*

Most definitely not young lion altoist or pianist. Band of great vets in fact.

6-      Bop.  This sounds like the real thing, by the real guys, digging in on “Star Eyes”, a perfect vehicle.  No more “technique” than #5, but to me more feeling, more heat.  I’ll guess Sonny Stitt, as he is semi-mandatory on every BFT.  Love it.  4.5*  If I end up looking like an idiot on #5/#6, so be it, that’s half the fun 😊.

Well you found out who it is after - and when I got this recording I knew I'd program something from it, even though I was concerned you might actually know it. Turns out Sidewinder knew it ... and now you know it's not "Star Eyes".

7-      A better approach for me than #1.  Early 60’s vintage?  In the pocket.  3*

No not early 1960s.

8-      Love the bass player! And the sax is really good.  Drummer doesn’t knock me out.  Good performance bringing new life leaping in post-Lester old chestnut.    4*

This fell into place late in the process but I thought the tenor would appeal even if playing an old swing tune which I know you don't go for the genre. Best of both worlds.

9-      First thing that hits me is how poorly recorded this is, which is a shame.  Strikes me as not so good solos by very good players, whole thing sounds underrehearsed.  I should probably know what this is.  Composition sounds like Jymie Merritt’s “Nommo”, but that’s not quite it. 2*

I would put this in the top 2-3 for obscurities on this BFT.

10-   “Willow Weep For Me”, done either very “relaxed” (or lazy), I guess.  The bass player and tenor player are both good, but I don’t really go for this sort of thing.  Drummer is less than great to my ears (at least on this cut) and sort of kills the whole thing for me.  Track would have been much stronger as a tenor/bass duet.  2*

A miss, for something I thought would appeal.

11-   Again not a great recording situation, but the music is strong.   I know the tune, just going blank because I’m old, tired, and distracted (raising a 2 year old grandson as well as working full time, etc.).  Pianist is splendid accompanist and OK soloist, and tenor player maintains interest through a very good long solo. 4*

Pianist has a major connection to a certain group and is what makes this record go from "this is great" to "who knew?"

12-   Same group/recording as #11?   Same song as #10.   I don’t like it as much as I do #11.  It’s a good tune, but a really tired one, and the sax player doesn’t have much to say on it, and falls into licks/cliches.  Nothing wrong with this, just doesn’t do much.  Eddie Lockjaw Davis?  3*

Good ears for recognizing the same band from #11. So nice I had to program twice. I kinda understand how the sax could be heard as licks/cliches, maybe because of the vehicle -  but what I hear is what I think Sangrey would call "flava" - the kind of individual voice/inflection that comes from living the music a long, long time. 

13-    First clue is that I assume we have Chick Corea on Rhodes, his tone is unique.  It’s another standard I’m going blank on ,quite a fine performance, though I’m not placing the album!  Sounds like the Griffith Park Collection, but I can’t find a 16 minute cut on there. Fascinating group.  Good drums.  I want this!  5*

This is the best example of choosing among possible tracks with your ears in mind. I had other options for the front line recorded with regular piano but chose this, so I am glad it was so well received. It's not Chick but it is one easily acquired - 

14-   Well, whatever – guess you had to be there!  0*

And we finish with the most disappointing reaction.  I thought this would be universally acclaimed for it's WTF-ness, with everyone laughing and wondering who is trying to order up some pot. I guess I won't be sending you the unedited recording after the speaker is revealed?

Postscript - Bootsie Barnes was a Philly guy who passed recently, and he could PLAY!  Not much of anything on record by him.

If you are OK with d/l the Bootsie is easily available and with the answer out there I am sure someone will find the source soon enough. 

Thanks John for all your comments and your willingness to go thru all of my tracks, since clearly not all were expected to receive the coveted Felser Likes seal of approval. :g

Edited by Dan Gould

10 hours ago, danasgoodstuff said:

I meant it's not the version I know from Preach Brother and it doesn't sound like him on sax to me, I'm guessing a Prestige organ date then?  Or maybe Argo.

OK well good idea on the tune then. Maybe MG can take it from here if he favors me with a listen and post.

Well Dan, thanks or this, but I can’t say I enjoyed it much. Been listening to all kinds of music from |Africa for two days, but got myself ready for this by listening to Sam The Man Taylor – Music for melancholy babies, Wild Bill Davis – Lover, and Chris Connor – Lover come back to me.

Not good enough I’m afraid. Any way, here are uncensored thoughts as I listened.

1 Damn I know this, but not the sound of the tenor player. Ah, I bet it’s Joey de Francesco with some new geezer on tenor. Need another listen to get the tune.

2 Imitation Herbie Hancock tune and approach. Drummer doesn’t seem to be swinging very much. Too busy.

3 It’s just hard bop without the feeling of excitement that the guys who were doing this kind of stuff in the sixties were feeling because it was new and they didn’t know where they were going. These guys know where it led and think it’s good enough to go again. Can’t say it was EVER my cup of tea, though I could get excited about it sometimes. Where’s Manu Dibango when you need him?

4 This is NOT Gene Harris. It sounds like someone I’ve heard before but put aside.

5 Hm. Definitely not my cup of tea. Time for a cough and drag.

6 I’ve got this. No I haven’t. I’ve got a much  earlier version. No one I know had those stops during the head. Eric Alexander? His best point was that he was a mate of Harold Mabern, but this ain’t Harold.

7 This is an old Tiny Bradshaw tune (Soft) played by a band that wasn’t there and never knew what Bradshaw’s guys were trying to do because it’s a different world now. I don’t like the sound any of the musicians are using. Oh, and where’s Earl Bostic when you need him?

8 Lester Leaping in. Well, ditto. Where’s Plas when you need him, or Sam The Man Taylor?

9 Er… Less said the better.

10 Willow weep for me. And someone who knows what he’s doing with it. I don’t know this guy, but I’ll be happy to find out about him.

The good thing about BFTs is you can listen to nine tracks you’d rather not have bothered with, then someone slugs you round the chops.

Except that he’s got his message through in three minutes, so he only needed a 78. But he’s just doodling now. I think he needed a contrasting tenor player – a guy with some flow to his playing – to  come in and make HIS points on the B side. But they’re all dead, ain’t they?

11 Live. Old bossa the title of which I’ve forgotten. Oh, Blue Bossa, the hard bopper’s excuse for World music. Well, I don’t like the tenor player’s sound one little bit. I don’t like the piano player’s sound much either. But it might be the recording. He’s playing some kinda nice notes. VERY over-enthusiastic audience.

12 Back under the willow again. This is live, too. Actually, there’s something rather Arnett Cobb-ish about him (but not the guy on 11), but not running on a full tank.

One thing I like about this is that none of the c 8 people in the audience give a toss about what’s being played. They’re just there for the booze and chat. That’s what it’s REALLY about!

13 Well, here’s another hard bop tune I can’t put a title to. THIS audience seems to care. Someone said, “Play, play, play!”

14 Overlong. Well, not really, I went out for a cough and drag and didn’t miss anything at all. This reminds me of a gig I went to at Smoke. I forget who it was – Cables was the pianist but the others were all as well known. It all goes on too long for me.

15 WTF?

Oh well, back to normality with Chief Commander Ebenezer Obey In the sixties pts 1 & 2.

MG

Good ears for recognizing the same band from #11. So nice I had to program twice. 

Damn me, that's what I thought and wrote it down. Then I thought "Nah, he wouldn't put two on one after the other," and wiped it out. But you did!

NOT surprised I didn't get Bootsie. I don't have much of him, just Don Patterson's 'Why not?' and he doesn't sound like that on the first few minutes of that. But props for putting him in.

MG

202 for 2021

TRACK ONE - They might want to call him Speedo, but his name is not Mr. Earl. That organ is screaming like Baby Face.

TRACK TWO - I swear I might have this record. That bridge-type part sounds like a Stevie Wonder tune? Almost sounds like a Horace thing, almost. Would have to have been a Silveto thing, though. And why has it has the fade out?

TRACK THREE - hmmm...

TRACK FOUR - Bizarro World Ahmad Jamal?

TRACK FIVE - Frank Morgan? Got that hard-earned thing going on. Drummer's kind of  drag (Bobby Durham?) but otherwise, all good.

TRACK SIX - "Minority"...I can like it if I don't have to love it.

TRACK SEVEN - Is this a Black & Blue record? Got that sound to it. And a good pocket as well, one false move and it falls apart, and not one false move is even hinted at . Tiny Grimes on guitar?

TRACK EIGHT - Stitt leaping in? but I think his knees were losing their spring. Maybe not Stitt, but it's his tone, grounds for execution in this jurisdiction.

TRACK NINE - That's homemade as fuck, and I mean that as a compliment! Slide Hampton?

TRACK TEN - Good architecture for this weeping willow.

TRACK ELEVEN - Is that Hal Singer? George Kelly? One of those older guys who didn't get stale with how they played. Sounds real to me.

TRACK TWELVE - See #11

TRACK THIRTEEN - "Solar"...sounds like George Cables' Rhodes voicings (cf Rollins' "Poincinana")...and the tenor player is trying to get to JoeLand...close, but not quite, still, a damn fine attempt, it's a real voice for sure. Mighty fine, and maybe a cut above everything else here, for the bass playing!

TRACK FOURTEEN - My original comment stands: this  is the vocal version of "If You're Not Part Of The Solution..."

2 hours ago, The Magnificent Goldberg said:

Well Dan, thanks or this, but I can’t say I enjoyed it much. Been listening to all kinds of music from |Africa for two days, but got myself ready for this by listening to Sam The Man Taylor – Music for melancholy babies, Wild Bill Davis – Lover, and Chris Connor – Lover come back to me.

Not good enough I’m afraid. Any way, here are uncensored thoughts as I listened.

1 Damn I know this, but not the sound of the tenor player. Ah, I bet it’s Joey de Francesco with some new geezer on tenor. Need another listen to get the tune.

2 Imitation Herbie Hancock tune and approach. Drummer doesn’t seem to be swinging very much. Too busy.

3 It’s just hard bop without the feeling of excitement that the guys who were doing this kind of stuff in the sixties were feeling because it was new and they didn’t know where they were going. These guys know where it led and think it’s good enough to go again. Can’t say it was EVER my cup of tea, though I could get excited about it sometimes. Where’s Manu Dibango when you need him?

4 This is NOT Gene Harris. It sounds like someone I’ve heard before but put aside.

5 Hm. Definitely not my cup of tea. Time for a cough and drag.

6 I’ve got this. No I haven’t. I’ve got a much  earlier version. No one I know had those stops during the head. Eric Alexander? His best point was that he was a mate of Harold Mabern, but this ain’t Harold.

7 This is an old Tiny Bradshaw tune (Soft) played by a band that wasn’t there and never knew what Bradshaw’s guys were trying to do because it’s a different world now. I don’t like the sound any of the musicians are using. Oh, and where’s Earl Bostic when you need him?

8 Lester Leaping in. Well, ditto. Where’s Plas when you need him, or Sam The Man Taylor?

9 Er… Less said the better.

10 Willow weep for me. And someone who knows what he’s doing with it. I don’t know this guy, but I’ll be happy to find out about him.

The good thing about BFTs is you can listen to nine tracks you’d rather not have bothered with, then someone slugs you round the chops.

Except that he’s got his message through in three minutes, so he only needed a 78. But he’s just doodling now. I think he needed a contrasting tenor player – a guy with some flow to his playing – to  come in and make HIS points on the B side. But they’re all dead, ain’t they?

11 Live. Old bossa the title of which I’ve forgotten. Oh, Blue Bossa, the hard bopper’s excuse for World music. Well, I don’t like the tenor player’s sound one little bit. I don’t like the piano player’s sound much either. But it might be the recording. He’s playing some kinda nice notes. VERY over-enthusiastic audience.

12 Back under the willow again. This is live, too. Actually, there’s something rather Arnett Cobb-ish about him (but not the guy on 11), but not running on a full tank.

One thing I like about this is that none of the c 8 people in the audience give a toss about what’s being played. They’re just there for the booze and chat. That’s what it’s REALLY about!

13 Well, here’s another hard bop tune I can’t put a title to. THIS audience seems to care. Someone said, “Play, play, play!”

14 Overlong. Well, not really, I went out for a cough and drag and didn’t miss anything at all. This reminds me of a gig I went to at Smoke. I forget who it was – Cables was the pianist but the others were all as well known. It all goes on too long for me.

15 WTF?

Oh well, back to normality with Chief Commander Ebenezer Obey In the sixties pts 1 & 2.

MG

Well that was painful to read and apparently it was so painful for you, you managed to invent a 15th track. You were my main hope to identify #1, and with help from Sangrey covering others, then the theme was going to fall.

That's all gone by the boards.  Sorry we didn't hook up and I will just say that your hatred of the tenor on #11 and 12 makes me question my understanding of your preferences, or wonder whether those preferences have changed.  Must be the former.

1 hour ago, JSngry said:

202 for 2021

TRACK ONE - They might want to call him Speedo, but his name is not Mr. Earl. That organ is screaming like Baby Face.

Not Baby Face but his era.

TRACK TWO - I swear I might have this record. That bridge-type part sounds like a Stevie Wonder tune? Almost sounds like a Horace thing, almost. Would have to have been a Silveto thing, though. And why has it has the fade out?

Of all people I thought you'd get the tenor.

TRACK FIVE - Frank Morgan? Got that hard-earned thing going on. Drummer's kind of  drag (Bobby Durham?) but otherwise, all good.

Drummer is the least known of the musicians but it ain't Bobby Durham.

TRACK SEVEN - Is this a Black & Blue record? Got that sound to it. And a good pocket as well, one false move and it falls apart, and not one false move is even hinted at . Tiny Grimes on guitar?

Not a Black & Blue, not Tiny Grimes. 

TRACK EIGHT - Stitt leaping in? but I think his knees were losing their spring. Maybe not Stitt, but it's his tone, grounds for execution in this jurisdiction.

I really don't hear it as Stitt's ideas - or licks.

TRACK NINE - That's homemade as fuck, and I mean that as a compliment! Slide Hampton?

Nope not Slide.

TRACK ELEVEN - Is that Hal Singer? George Kelly? One of those older guys who didn't get stale with how they played. Sounds real to me.

TRACK TWELVE - See #11

Well glad you like these two.

TRACK THIRTEEN - "Solar"...sounds like George Cables' Rhodes voicings (cf Rollins' "Poincinana")...and the tenor player is trying to get to JoeLand...close, but not quite, still, a damn fine attempt, it's a real voice for sure. Mighty fine, and maybe a cut above everything else here, for the bass playing!

Not Cables ... another tenor I thought you'd ID.

TRACK FOURTEEN - My original comment stands: this  is the vocal version of "If You're Not Part Of The Solution..."

Well I do thank you for keeping the secret.

Hey, I just got this Shazam thing on my phone a few months ago, and for things I have no chance of identifying, ever, I'm going to that after the initial round or two of listening. Not spilling any secrets here, but you will be delighted to know that many of these items returned a "no result" including #2, so I'm on my own on that one. I like it a lot, it reminds me of the way a lot of local bands I would play with in the late 70s played (and similarly, the way I would try to play with them), so good memories.

Of the ones I did get hits on...

#1 - EX-cellent choice! Is this a non-LP cut? Seems to be?

#3 - never heard of this guy, how did you find him and/or this record?

#4 - not hit other than a bunch of different electronica/modern classical, depending on where I started the sampling. So congrats for trikking tekk on this one! :g

#5 - you trikked 'em again! But I like it, whoever it is, except for the drummer.

#7 - and again, Shazzm Strikes Out! And I really like this one, so I am sad.

#8 - dude, my fullest props to you for going this deep in the well, again, no results, and this suriouses me, because like you, I don't really hear Stitt's ideas, but, on these speakers anyway, definitely his tone. So...waiting for the identity, whenever it comes.

#9 - WHOA!!!! WTF!!!!

#10 - See #9. That's a name for ya', you gotta go deep to get that one.

#13 - you're right, I should.

That's not Clifford Jordan on #13, is it?

1 hour ago, JSngry said:

Hey, I just got this Shazam thing on my phone a few months ago, and for things I have no chance of identifying, ever, I'm going to that after the initial round or two of listening. Not spilling any secrets here, but you will be delighted to know that many of these items returned a "no result" including #2, so I'm on my own on that one. I like it a lot, it reminds me of the way a lot of local bands I would play with in the late 70s played (and similarly, the way I would try to play with them), so good memories.

Of the ones I did get hits on...

#1 - EX-cellent choice! Is this a non-LP cut? Seems to be?

#3 - never heard of this guy, how did you find him and/or this record?

#4 - not hit other than a bunch of different electronica/modern classical, depending on where I started the sampling. So congrats for trikking tekk on this one! :g

#5 - you trikked 'em again! But I like it, whoever it is, except for the drummer.

#7 - and again, Shazzm Strikes Out! And I really like this one, so I am sad.

#8 - dude, my fullest props to you for going this deep in the well, again, no results, and this suriouses me, because like you, I don't really hear Stitt's ideas, but, on these speakers anyway, definitely his tone. So...waiting for the identity, whenever it comes.

#9 - WHOA!!!! WTF!!!!

#10 - See #9. That's a name for ya', you gotta go deep to get that one.

#13 - you're right, I should.

That's not Clifford Jordan on #13, is it?

Not Clifford on #13 (and for Felser, not Cedar on Fender Rhodes either) but yes, electric bass ... tenor is best known in this group.

So #9 got a hit on this Shazam thing?  I consider that the most obscure recording (#4 may be tied), and there's never been a CD release. In fact 8 of 12 are vinyl only issues.  With the help you've gotten on 1, 3, 9 and 10 you might puzzle out the theme just in terms of those folks.

Well, 6:40AM and I'm having a second try at #1.

As suggested by someone, it's the Don Wilkerson tune, 'Camp meeting'. And the organist and rhythm section sound like Jimmy McGriff in his early days on Sue (or perhaps even earlier - though if it's earlier, I've certainly never heard it). But who's that tenor player?

Trouble is, I know every note of this, but can't pin down that sax player. I'm thinking Fats Theus, but Theus is a bit smoother than this guy, I think. But in any case, how is it I know this note for note but can't get it? I KNOW I haven't got any version of 'Camp meeting' other than Wilkerson's. 

OK, let's assume this is McGriff, he COULD have recorded it under a different title... but wouldn't I have recognised the tune? I feel I would have. So let's say it's not McGriff on my third listen. The tenor player COULD be Rusty Bryant. He never worked with McGriff. But he DID work with Hank Marr. But sure this ain't Hank Marr.

Nope, I'm bloomin' well stumped. 

Just tried 'Blue Bossa' and 'Willow weep for me' live again. Well, I must have been in the wrong mood last night. Now I'm sliding these tracks in between tracks on a Caravan's album, I'm hearing them a little better. No nearer putting a finger on the tenor player, but he IS sounding a bit better this morning.

MG

Ah! Rudy Johnson on #1. Rudy worked with Hank Marr AND Jimmy McGriff back in the day.

MG