BFT 202 Discussion

Dan Gould

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Milestones said:

I have not seen a BFT this tough in ages.

Dude you have excellent perceptive ears. Don't worry about guessing unless you feel like it; I'd love to hear your impressions of the tunes and performances themselves even without any solid ideas.

Setting aside Philadelphia and St Louis for the two identified tracks (and Dallas, which Jim didn't fully identify the recording but named the star artist), the following cities are referenced among the remaining tracks:

Milwaukee 

Birmingham (at the time of recording, could also be Milwaukee)

Baltimore

D.C.

NYC

New Haven

Chicago

and what I am going to call Ohio/Indiana (Ohio for location of recording, Indiana for apparent long-term involvement)

And I just hope that HP and Thom (and Milestones) are able to join in ...

Listening again. Really liking these tunes on the second go-round, especially 2 & 3, 7-13...

Is that Phil Woods on 5? 

Is #7 Illinois Jacquet with Wild Bill or Milt Buckner?

Tyrone Hill on #9?

I'm thinking Fathead is somewhere in here too...not #10 since that was already guessed...the second one #12 then?

Steve Grossman on #13? Or is it Liebman & Brecker?

Some wild guesses here but figured I'd give it another go.

7 minutes ago, Dub Modal said:

Listening again. Really liking these tunes on the second go-round, especially 2 & 3, 7-13...

Is that Phil Woods on 5? 

Is #7 Illinois Jacquet with Wild Bill or Milt Buckner?

Tyrone Hill on #9?

I'm thinking Fathead is somewhere in here too...not #10 since that was already guessed...the second one #12 then?

Steve Grossman on #13? Or is it Liebman & Brecker?

Some wild guesses here but figured I'd give it another go.

Thanks for coming back and glad they appealed even more on the second time around.

None of the guesses are right ... keep in mind that based on the two identifications and Jim's knowledge of track 2 (but not revealed) that the theme was "Local" - cats who got recorded but stayed under the radar - local legends as it were.  Baltimore, Washington DC, Milwaukee, Birmingham, NYC, New Haven, Chicago and what might be described as the Heartland (Indiana/Ohio) still on the board.

George Russell, Sun Ra, Allen Lowe connections too.

Oh and here's a new one: one artist was featured on a program on Investigation Discovery, which if you do not know runs various and sundry "true crime" programming.