BFT 202 Discussion

Dan Gould

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, JSngry said:

I feel bad about doing that, because I "cheated", using Shazam.

Well then you shouldn't have mentioned the name!

I think people should think of the best known "local" saxophonist of all and figure out which track he plays on.

1 minute ago, Dub Modal said:

Unless I'm mistaken, he ain't on Discogs at all. 

No, the epitome of a local guy ... but I assume you searched on the investigation discovery clue to find a murdered jazz musician?

His CDs are on Amazon if anyone goes to sample they'll find the track.

2 minutes ago, Dan Gould said:

Well then you shouldn't have mentioned the name!

I think people should think of the best known "local" saxophonist of all and figure out which track he plays on.

No, the epitome of a local guy ... but I assume you searched on the investigation discovery clue to find a murdered jazz musician?

His CDs are on Amazon if anyone goes to sample they'll find the track.

Yeah, simple google search found it. Can't find him on Amazon though. Getting a bunch of Donald Vega/Lewis Nash stuff from Resonance. My amazon search skills need some polish I guess. 

7 minutes ago, Dub Modal said:

Donald. Then Donald Ray. I’ll try with Don instead 

Since I saw the episode I knew how to find/sample his music easily ... and I could tell from what was featured in the program that he was going to fit very easily not only for the epitome of the theme but as a solid player and composer. Sort of Lee Morgan aggression but more precise articulation a la Diz or Clifford. Both discs on Amazon are worth a d/l.

23 minutes ago, Dan Gould said:

Since I saw the episode I knew how to find/sample his music easily ... and I could tell from what was featured in the program that he was going to fit very easily not only for the epitome of the theme but as a solid player and composer. Sort of Lee Morgan aggression but more precise articulation a la Diz or Clifford. Both discs on Amazon are worth a d/l.

I'm actually seeing 3 albums: On the Other Side of Town, The Colour of Time & Northwest of Chicago. Can't listen to them or preview them other than Northwest as I don't subscribe. 

10 minutes ago, Dub Modal said:

I'm actually seeing 3 albums: On the Other Side of Town, The Colour of Time & Northwest of Chicago. Can't listen to them or preview them other than Northwest as I don't subscribe. 

Well I didn't d/l the middle one but I'm not making it any easier for anyone else than that. ;)

Hey man, sorry I'm late to the game.  End of the semester and I'm ragged.  A lotta hits, a few misses.  Next-to-last track on this is a KILLER!

Track 01 - A little too honky tonky for my taste.  This occupies that odd bridge between Funky Jazz and Rock-and-Roll that I just can never seem to get myself to agree with.

Track 02 - And this is closer to the first part of that situation I described above.  Sort of has that Don Pullen meets Cosby feel.  I like this, even if it’s a little Magione in its overall feel.  Loses enough in the trumpet solo, this could actually be Chuck.  Still like the overall feel.  Be nice if the reverb on the horns matched, but in general, I enjoy this.

Track 03 - Nice, straight ahead, somewhat modern with the funk A-section.  Maybe Bobby Shew?  

Track 04 - The open chords say Harold Mabern, but the rhythmic patterns say otherwise.  

Track 05 - Another straight-ahead feel with a touch of out?  A lot familiar about that alto, and yet no guess.  Nothing wrong with this one.  It’s not coming to a desert island with me, but I could listen to this all day without issue.  Could that be Gene on piano?  (I mean, I HAVE to guess him once on your test!) Track 06 - That’s gotta be Ricky Ford, doesn’t it?  Almost seems more Ricky than Ricky.  Like a touch of Arnett Cobb.  I’m going to hate myself a long time for not getting this one.  

Track 07 - The alto is all over it.  That putrid bass has to go.  This is the sound that kept me from being a bigger Maceo fan.  Rhythm section sounds like my Aunt Angele’s organ.  I don’t mean that to be flattering.

Track 08 - Very few songs, by very few people, should be played at this tempo, and execution is pivotal.  This one misses.

Track 09 - Now this one hits on all counts.  Definitely derivative of some things I’m more familiar with, but this has some Billy Harper touches in that melody, and it has the feel of Lee Morgan’s last band.  Not Billy… could be Bennie Maupin.  Not Lee, but somebody from the camp.  Break my heart and tell me this is a band from Japan I’ve never heard of.  

Track 10 - Nice version of Willow Weep For Me, but not getting a definite sense of the ID.  Not someone I’m overly familiar with, but a good version of the tune.

Track 11 - My gut says Von Freeman.  Oddly, I’ve got a different version of this tune by Von that is completely different.  Tone seems a bit more spread than Von’s, though.  Trying to think of a Chicago guy with a beastly tone like that.  Could be Ari, but doesn’t sound close enough to Sheep and I’m not hearing any of the trademark Ari lines.  Almost a Don Byas edge to that tenor.  Makes me wonder if this could be a Billy Mitchell thing I’ve somehow missed.

Track 12 - More Willow, seemingly from the same date.  Maybe Red Holloway?  Okay, that HAS to be Gene, doesn’t it?

Track 13 - 100% here for this.  Heard a lot of forgettable takes on this song.  This is NOT that.  Locked directly in.  I need more of this.  5:44 “Harrgh!”  YEAH!  Tenor is a monster.  Trumpet is not giving that vibe, but is definitely a respectable pro.  I’m not as excited as the dude in the audience, but man, this track is killin’!  It’s the tenor’s feature, but I’ll take seconds on this one.  Drummer is all OVER it.  Guessing this is not a commercial release.  

Track 14 - Alls I’ll say is I felt like I was being watched.  It’s good to know a guy.

Man!  Whatever else I walk away from this test feeling, Track 13 is an absolute bitch!

2 hours ago, tkeith said:

Hey man, sorry I'm late to the game.  End of the semester and I'm ragged.  A lotta hits, a few misses.  Next-to-last track on this is a KILLER!

Track 01 - A little too honky tonky for my taste.  This occupies that odd bridge between Funky Jazz and Rock-and-Roll that I just can never seem to get myself to agree with.

Track 02 - And this is closer to the first part of that situation I described above.  Sort of has that Don Pullen meets Cosby feel.  I like this, even if it’s a little Magione in its overall feel.  Loses enough in the trumpet solo, this could actually be Chuck.  Still like the overall feel.  Be nice if the reverb on the horns matched, but in general, I enjoy this.

Track 03 - Nice, straight ahead, somewhat modern with the funk A-section.  Maybe Bobby Shew?  

Track 04 - The open chords say Harold Mabern, but the rhythmic patterns say otherwise.  

Track 05 - Another straight-ahead feel with a touch of out?  A lot familiar about that alto, and yet no guess.  Nothing wrong with this one.  It’s not coming to a desert island with me, but I could listen to this all day without issue.  Could that be Gene on piano?  (I mean, I HAVE to guess him once on your test!) Track 06 - That’s gotta be Ricky Ford, doesn’t it?  Almost seems more Ricky than Ricky.  Like a touch of Arnett Cobb.  I’m going to hate myself a long time for not getting this one.  

Track 07 - The alto is all over it.  That putrid bass has to go.  This is the sound that kept me from being a bigger Maceo fan.  Rhythm section sounds like my Aunt Angele’s organ.  I don’t mean that to be flattering.

Track 08 - Very few songs, by very few people, should be played at this tempo, and execution is pivotal.  This one misses.

Track 09 - Now this one hits on all counts.  Definitely derivative of some things I’m more familiar with, but this has some Billy Harper touches in that melody, and it has the feel of Lee Morgan’s last band.  Not Billy… could be Bennie Maupin.  Not Lee, but somebody from the camp.  Break my heart and tell me this is a band from Japan I’ve never heard of.  

Track 10 - Nice version of Willow Weep For Me, but not getting a definite sense of the ID.  Not someone I’m overly familiar with, but a good version of the tune.

Track 11 - My gut says Von Freeman.  Oddly, I’ve got a different version of this tune by Von that is completely different.  Tone seems a bit more spread than Von’s, though.  Trying to think of a Chicago guy with a beastly tone like that.  Could be Ari, but doesn’t sound close enough to Sheep and I’m not hearing any of the trademark Ari lines.  Almost a Don Byas edge to that tenor.  Makes me wonder if this could be a Billy Mitchell thing I’ve somehow missed.

Track 12 - More Willow, seemingly from the same date.  Maybe Red Holloway?  Okay, that HAS to be Gene, doesn’t it?

Track 13 - 100% here for this.  Heard a lot of forgettable takes on this song.  This is NOT that.  Locked directly in.  I need more of this.  5:44 “Harrgh!”  YEAH!  Tenor is a monster.  Trumpet is not giving that vibe, but is definitely a respectable pro.  I’m not as excited as the dude in the audience, but man, this track is killin’!  It’s the tenor’s feature, but I’ll take seconds on this one.  Drummer is all OVER it.  Guessing this is not a commercial release.  

Track 14 - Alls I’ll say is I felt like I was being watched.  It’s good to know a guy.

Man!  Whatever else I walk away from this test feeling, Track 13 is an absolute bitch!

Glad you got on it in time Thom, and interesting comments as always.  No Gene on this one, and if you've read thru the discussion you know what the theme was determined to be.  

I am happy to inform a little ahead of the reveal that you'll be able to pick up #13 as it does have a commercial release.

I gotta say dissing #7 rhythm section especially organ is tough, but to each his own.

I am especially glad you like 11-12 which are from the same recording.  The whole thing is awesome and people will definitely say both "who" for the tenor, and "WTF" for the pianist. At least I think they will.

On 1/29/2021 at 8:02 PM, Dan Gould said:

I gotta say dissing #7 rhythm section especially organ is tough, but to each his own.

Decades ago, I recall reading a Downbeat BFT with saxophonist Bill Evans.  The fifth track was from pianist Bill Evans' album Quintessence.  I forget which cut they played, but he really ripped it.  Described it as leaving him feeling really cold and he didn't like it at all.  If you look at the personnel on that album, you'd expect it to be the album of the decade (Evans, Harold Land, Kenny Burrell).  I've never liked it.  I've listened and found it "ok" if I was in the mood, but really, it's a miss for me.  Evans (the saxophonist) was borderline apologetic for his comments after the reveal.  I didn't think he should have been.  I've heard Charlie Parker records I didn't like.  Ellington had some clunkers.  Coltrane?  Absolutely.  One of the great joys of the BFT is it forces you to listen blindly.  When you post your one-off responses, this can happen.  It's all good.  If you ask, I'll tell you I love Sam Rivers (and I do), but frequently, his cuts in the BFT leave me wanting.  It is what it is.  Now, WHAT IS THAT LAST TRACK!?!?!?!?  :D  :D  :D

Editorial note:  Perhaps I'll include a cut from Aunt Angele in my next BFT.  She was self taught and every song sounded exactly the same, but 9 times out of ten, you could guess the song.  It was weird.  One thing it had, she conveyed the joy playing music gave her.  That's one thing missing from MANY pro musicians, IMHO.

5 hours ago, JSngry said:

Arnold Sterling on #5?

or #7?

Yes, #7, from a Jimmy McGriff record. This cut kills!

Sorry I was looking on my phone when I saw Thom's last post, only saw that post, had no idea you had posted before he did. Well done, Sterling on #7 from a McGriff record. And he kills on the whole record! Every record he was on ...

• 8 months later...
On 1/26/2021 at 11:41 AM, Dan Gould said:

Oh and here's a new one: one artist was featured on a program on Investigation Discovery, which if you do not know runs various and sundry "true crime" programming.

On 1/26/2021 at 0:14 PM, Dub Modal said:

Well, found this. Donald Lewis - what a tragedy. 

https://www.thecinemaholic.com/donald-lewis-murder/

6 pm tonight, Investigation Discovery runs the program that covers the murder of Milwaukee trumpeter Don Lewis.