The end of The Blue Whale in Los Angeles

jcam_44

The Blue Whale, Beloved Hub of the Jazz Scene in Los Angeles, Announces Permanent Closure

This is devastating to me. I was wondering if it was going to be able to hang on and would check every month to make sure it wasn't announcing its closing, but alas, 2020 screwed us one more time. If you've never been here you missed out. It was a crappy location but it had parking underneath and the first few years it was there it was $5 parking! Unheard of late night in Los Angeles. Of course it eventually increased to I think $15 the last time I was there last year. Steve Coleman held court for two Decembers in a row on residency. I saw Vinny Golia there probably a dozen times. They used to get some of the best show for the Angel City Jazz Fest. The drink selection was good and the food, mostly appetizers were also worth having. So many nights I would get there early to make sure I had a seat along the wall, almost always to the left of the stage audience perspective by the piano, so I could lean back and absorb the music. So many wonderful memories.