COVID 19 Poll For the New Year

2021 Covid 19 Poll  

41 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Looking back now, my wife and I seriously doubt if we did not have Covid already. Last year we were skiing in Austria at the end of February. On that moment little was known about the virus and the first case in The Netherlands had yet to come up. But it was already in Italy those days. There were no rules yet, no masks and no lockdown. 

A few days after our return we both got sick: sore throat, lots of coughing and a fever. The coughs were pretty heavy and I was really gasping for air sometimes. The only people we visited directly after our return were my parents. They also got sick a few days after with the same symptoms. It took them a week or so to recover.

it might as well been the flu but who knows.... I’ll take the vaccine anyway. Time to kill this virus for once and for all.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Dan Gould said:

I continue to wonder if I had a relatively mild case back in January/Feb, if only because its the only time I've ever had a (short-lived) loss of taste with a flu/cold. I remember munching on salted peanuts and could barely sense the saltiness.

It's really unfortunate that antibody tests are unreliable on an individual level.

On 1/2/2021 at 6:51 PM, Dave Garrett said:

A friend of over 35 years has been in the hospital for close to six weeks after testing positive. It looked like he was improving to the point where discharge to a rehab facility was being discussed, then he took a sudden turn for the worse right before Christmas. He was moved to ICU and placed on a ventilator, and came very close to death on Christmas day. The last update I had was that his oxygen levels had significantly improved since then, but he appears to have suffered damage to his lungs and possibly other vital organs. It seems likely that if he is able to survive (and that is still a big if), his life will be far different from what it was previously.

My friend did not make it. The damage to his lungs was too great, and his heart ultimately gave out. His memorial service was yesterday (it was limited to family but was livestreamed so I was able to watch it). He probably had the broadest musical taste of anyone I've ever known - he had been music and choral director at a local church for most of the past two decades, and was equally at home conversing about sixteenth-century liturgical music, Art Tatum, or Frank Zappa. He was one of a kind, and his loss is keenly felt by all who knew him. 

Two weeks ago, my wife's mother passed. She was 92 and had been in a long-term care facility for the past four years, so her passing was not a complete surprise but was also not really expected right now. She had tested positive for COVID a couple of months ago but remained asymptomatic. She had some underlying health issues, but one still wonders about the lingering effects of COVID even among those who are asymptomatic.

Yesterday, my oldest friend's mother-in-law passed. She was 89 and had been in poor health for quite some time (cardiac issues, and had previously had at least one full-blown heart attack). She had recently tested positive for COVID and did display symptoms. I expect that, at a minimum, complications from COVID will be listed as a contributory factor in her death. 

The point at which we are able to dispense vaccines immediately and on-demand to all who require them cannot get here quickly enough.   

I’m sorry to hear about your friend and the other people who died.

On the vaccines, there appears to be very low inventory, if any, so who knows when there will be adequate inventories. We received notifications that we could make appointments but unfortunately none are available, probably due to inadequate supply. 

4 hours ago, Dave Garrett said:

My friend did not make it. The damage to his lungs was too great, and his heart ultimately gave out. His memorial service was yesterday (it was limited to family but was livestreamed so I was able to watch it). He probably had the broadest musical taste of anyone I've ever known - he had been music and choral director at a local church for most of the past two decades, and was equally at home conversing about sixteenth-century liturgical music, Art Tatum, or Frank Zappa. He was one of a kind, and his loss is keenly felt by all who knew him. 

Two weeks ago, my wife's mother passed. She was 92 and had been in a long-term care facility for the past four years, so her passing was not a complete surprise but was also not really expected right now. She had tested positive for COVID a couple of months ago but remained asymptomatic. She had some underlying health issues, but one still wonders about the lingering effects of COVID even among those who are asymptomatic.

Yesterday, my oldest friend's mother-in-law passed. She was 89 and had been in poor health for quite some time (cardiac issues, and had previously had at least one full-blown heart attack). She had recently tested positive for COVID and did display symptoms. I expect that, at a minimum, complications from COVID will be listed as a contributory factor in her death. 

The point at which we are able to dispense vaccines immediately and on-demand to all who require them cannot get here quickly enough.   

Ugh, so sorry to hear this.

And Dimitry, get well soon.