COVID 19 Poll For the New Year

2021 Covid 19 Poll  

41 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 hour ago, medjuck said:

Dos she know if she's in line for an early vaccination?   (I hope so.) 

She just got her first shot on Tuesday. Usually she won't even get the flu shot but times are different obviously. Makes me feel better. One of her coworkers tested positive and brought the virus home and infected her spouse. He's 78! Apparently both are okay.

Edited by Tom 1960

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, Dmitry said:

Just tested positive.. the shakes, sore throat, malaise, corkscrew in the chest, all that good stuff. The coming week will give me a chance to catch up on some Music Matters 45 listening...getting up every 10 minutes to change sides is just what the doctor ordered.

Get well soon ....

5 minutes ago, Dmitry said:

Just tested positive.. the shakes, sore throat, malaise, corkscrew in the chest, all that good stuff. The coming week will give me a chance to catch up on some Music Matters 45 listening...getting up every 10 minutes to change sides is just what the doctor ordered.

Sorry to hear that, get well soon. That’s a first - Music Matters 45s as a covid remedy !

1 hour ago, Dmitry said:

Sorry to hear that. Get well. 

8 minutes ago, Guy Berger said:

Today was the first day when someone I know died of this horrible pandemic. :(

Sorry to hear this Guy.

I wonder, when it's over, how many of us will know (as in real-life know) someone who was lost to Covid 19. Will it be a majority? 40% of the population? 25%? 

32 minutes ago, Dan Gould said:

Sorry to hear this Guy.

I wonder, when it's over, how many of us will know (as in real-life know) someone who was lost to Covid 19. Will it be a majority? 40% of the population? 25%? 

I would think probably a majority, esp. people living in cities who just interact with more people. 

For me the bigger question is how many people will have lost someone in their extended family.  I remain very worried about my cousin in Brooklyn and my wife's parents in Chicago.  So far, no one has caught it.

2 hours ago, Dan Gould said:

Sorry to hear this Guy.

Just doing some very simple math... if deaths are randomly distributed (not actually true), we end up at 700,000 COVID, deaths (~0.2% of the US population) and each person knows 500/1,000/2,000 people (too high?  too low?), then the probability of any given person knowing a dead-from-COVID person is 63.2%/86.5%/98.2%.

21 minutes ago, Guy Berger said:

Just doing some very simple math... if deaths are randomly distributed (not actually true), we end up at 700,000 COVID, deaths (~0.2% of the US population) and each person knows 500/1,000/2,000 people (too high?  too low?), then the probability of any given person knowing a dead-from-COVID person is 63.2%/86.5%/98.2%.

I can't imagine saying I "know" even 500 people. But I've never been that social and I really don't get out much at all. 

I was asking in the sense of FB friends not counting ...

Just in the last 30 days, three people we have known personally have tested positive. All three have since "recovered", but one guy, a father in his mid-30s is still experiencing getting easily winded with routine exertion. He has a daughter who's just a year older than our granddaughter, and the thought of him, or any father, having to be hampered like that for the rest of their life saddens and angers me beyond description. This guy works a job where masks are optional, and you know how that goes...there's always one or two (or more) idiots who just don't get it and don't give a damn about even trying to get it...so they give it. I don't know if that's where he got it or not, but according to my son (this guy's best friend), the guy is borderline obsessive about staying safe, but, you know....you still gotta make that paycheck...

Not to put too fine a point on it, but the selfishness of people who still flaunt...whatever it is they're flaunting...by not using basic precautions at work, in public, anywhere that you mix with others who "come and go" (best way I know how to describe it?) is, at this point, morally reprehensible and intellectually indefensible. I can't put it any other way.

No matter, new variant, more aggressive spreading, still no readily available vaccine (for us, anyway), we were looking forward to loosening up the self-imposed isolation-ness, but not now, no way. Death and invalidism will find me when it's their time to, but goddamit, they gonna have to come to me, I ain't volunteering for them. 

My wife and I now work for the same couple and they want to get together for dinner and the problem is we are not interested in going out anywhere and lingering for 60 or 90 minutes. We might consider hosting them for dinner and maybe sharing the table (as opposed to TV trays and social distancing in the living room.

I am not sure if he gets our concern. He did get it last month maybe he figured he's got absolute immunity. But I don't think she had it. Maybe if they both did we'd share a table with them, just not in a public setting.

Since we live 3 + hours apart its all theoretical unless they commit to driving up here from south Florida.

51 minutes ago, Dan Gould said:

I can't imagine saying I "know" even 500 people. But I've never been that social and I really don't get out much at all. 

I was asking in the sense of FB friends not counting ...

I think it depends what you mean by know.  In terms of close friends of course not.  But I've lived in five different metro areas and had 7 different jobs where I interacted with roughly 100-200 people (maybe more like 50 on a weekly basis).  Now I also don't stay in touch with many people after I've moved on, but certainly some.  The working together bit to me is a bit deeper than Facebook friends, and that is definitely close to 500.  However, I would concede that some of my LinkedIn connections are not as close as they could be...

37 minutes ago, ejp626 said:

I think it depends what you mean by know.  In terms of close friends of course not.  But I've lived in five different metro areas and had 7 different jobs where I interacted with roughly 100-200 people (maybe more like 50 on a weekly basis).  Now I also don't stay in touch with many people after I've moved on, but certainly some.  The working together bit to me is a bit deeper than Facebook friends, and that is definitely close to 500.  However, I would concede that some of my LinkedIn connections are not as close as they could be...

Yeah, until my ill-fated employment with a 1000+ behemoth company that's idea of growth was buying up agencies and then losing at least 50% of the book of business due to an inability to service the clients, I had always worked for relatively tiny businesses. And I don't think of any one on linkedin as remotely a "friend".  But anyone working in corporate world or who rely on networking for sales/lead generation or the like is going to "know" a helluva lot more people than I do.

19 hours ago, Dan Gould said:

My wife and I now work for the same couple and they want to get together for dinner and the problem is we are not interested in going out anywhere and lingering for 60 or 90 minutes. We might consider hosting them for dinner and maybe sharing the table (as opposed to TV trays and social distancing in the living room.

I am not sure if he gets our concern. He did get it last month maybe he figured he's got absolute immunity. But I don't think she had it. Maybe if they both did we'd share a table with them, just not in a public setting.

Since we live 3 + hours apart its all theoretical unless they commit to driving up here from south Florida.

Is it really unacceptable to them if you’d just say: we rather do not take any risk and are not interested in having a dinner? 

19 hours ago, JSngry said:

Not to put too fine a point on it, but the selfishness of people who still flaunt...whatever it is they're flaunting...by not using basic precautions at work, in public, anywhere that you mix with others who "come and go" (best way I know how to describe it?) is, at this point, morally reprehensible and intellectually indefensible. I can't put it any other way.

My work is very strict on enforcing social distancing and mandatory mask wearing. I even have a proximity sensor that I have to wear that vibrates and beeps if I get too close to someone for more than 10 seconds. It automatically logs these as "close contact" in case someone is diagnosed. I have one employee that refuses to wear his proximity sensor (they are optional) and often tries to take off his mask when he comes into my office to talk to me about something, claiming he can't breathe with it on. I tell him to put it back on over & over. It's driving me nuts. Unless my work lets me discipline him (and so far, they won't), there's not much I can do other than kicking him out of my personal space when he tries this.

Edited by bresna

13 minutes ago, Pim said:

Is it really unacceptable to them if you’d just say: we rather do not take any risk and are not interested in having a dinner? 

Well, we aren't saying we won't take any risk ... we just don't want to take the risk of any sort of dinner at a retail establishment.  We are not opposed to hosting them, but when that might even happen is completely unknown given the distance they'd travel.  We met them in person last summer, during the pandemic, when they stopped by on their way back to south Florida from Tampa. We just maintained social distance.

22 hours ago, Dan Gould said:

Dan since you guys are in Florida and have relatively benign weather, I strongly recommend that if you do meet them, you meet them outdoors in a back yard.  If you do, can you open windows to ventilate?

Extended exposure in ventilated closed spaces are really bad news as far as covid transmission goes... even if people wear masks the whole time.  And you have to take masks off to eat.

1 minute ago, Guy Berger said:

Dan since you guys are in Florida and have relatively benign weather, I strongly recommend that if you do meet them, you meet them outdoors in a back yard.  If you do, can you open windows to ventilate?

Extended exposure in ventilated closed spaces are really bad news as far as covid transmission goes... even if people wear masks the whole time.  And you have to take masks off to eat.

Yeah we could do bar-b-que take out and eat outdoors.

Again, folks, this is a "we'd like to go out to dinner with you guys sometime" situation. Nothing was ever set or agreed to and I think they still don't appreciate how far apart we are, even if they drove to Hallendale Beach directly from Plant City when they were here for an hour in the summer. So who knows when this gets arranged. We could all be vaccinated by then.