Jocko's Jazz In Methuen, MA Closes

Jocko's Jazz was a Tuesday night event at the Sahara Club in Methuen. It was there for quite a few years. It featured mostly local players with the occasional bigger name who usually came through as a solo and used the local rhythm players from Berklee. My good friend Bob posted some pictures from the club: https://bobfesta.com/copy-of-scullers-1

Some of my favorite shows I saw there were Harry Allen, Phil Woods and Gary Smulyan. The rhythm section often had Tim Ray on piano and John Lockwood on bass. I bet I saw Harry Allen at least 5 or 6 times there and he always put on a great show. He often brought up local players to get the 4 brothers thing going and one of them was local legend Ralph Norris:

https://pro2-bar-s3-cdn-cf6.myportfolio.com/342297d5d229fad48870e529c7067ccd/7916b406-aade-4eca-9dd1-b0fdb6605344_rw_1920.jpg?h=834675b2055d6aa9157f1eb36748b4df

I was at this show... I believe it was the last one:

9594d0c4-0492-475c-95c3-4f94c22afd69_rw_

1 hour ago, sgcim said:

My sis and brother-in law live in Northampton and mentioned seeing one of those people at a club that was part of a bowling alley, I think.. Was that Jocko's?

In any case, that sucks so bad, that I don't even have the words to express it.

There is a place in Pawtucket, Breaktime Bowl and Bar, that is an old [I'm talking like early 1920s] duckpin bowling alley, and features musical acts.

1 hour ago, bresna said:

Jocko's Jazz was a Tuesday night event at the Sahara Club in Methuen. It was there for quite a few years. It featured mostly local players with the occasional bigger name who usually came through as a solo and used the local rhythm players from Berklee. My good friend Bob posted some pictures from the club: https://bobfesta.com/copy-of-scullers-1

Some of my favorite shows I saw there were Harry Allen, Phil Woods and Gary Smulyan. The rhythm section often had Tim Ray on piano and John Lockwood on bass. I bet I saw Harry Allen at least 5 or 6 times there and he always put on a great show. He often brought up local players to get the 4 brothers thing going and one of them was local legend Ralph Norris

I have seen Ray and Lockwood several times; they are the first call rhythm section for some big names that visit the area. Others from that crew are the guitarist Gray Sargent and drummer Gary Johnson. I've heard them with Tony Bennett. Greg Abate, and Scott Hamilton.

I'm scratching my head as to why I was completely oblivious to the Jocko Jazz club...

Edited by Dmitry