Introducing Wayne Shorter, Down in the Depths

Daniel A

On the Vee-Jay album 'Introducing Wayne Shorter' there is a tune called Down in the Depths, where Lee Morgan's solo infamously breaks down towards the end. 

I recently got a Japanese version of the LP from 1981, catalog number RJL-6004. When I just played it for the first time I noted that a different take of the tune was used for the release, presumably 'take 3' which was on the Mosaic set (and elsewhere, of course). 

Was this a one-time mistake, or an intentional effort to "improve" the album, or was this take used as a substitute for the original master take (which might be a composite for all I know, but I don't own the Mosaic set) also on other re-issues of this album? 

Ah, I see! Thanks for straightening this out. Then it seems as if some other releases have the incorrect, longer take as the master take. Both my own budget reissue on Charly Records and another 70s reissue LP on GNP Crescendo (I suppose they are legit, but they are not handsome) I heard recently had the longer take with a bass solo instead. 

Then I checked the album on Spotify - seemingly a legit upload by Concord Music Group - where they also have the wrong take listed as the master take. The same seems to go for all the streaming platforms:

https://music.apple.com/us/album/introducing-wayne-shorter/1442283034

It's great to have the expertise of this forum when the world is confusing! 

Edited by Daniel A

Did not realize Concord had picked up the rights to Vee Jay.  More bad news there, the catalog will go to die except for, maybe, "John Lee Hooker Plays for Lovers", a 34 minute release targeted for Valentine's day.  They also have Savoy and Muse as well as Prestige/Riverside/Contemporary/Milestone.  Guess that means I'm done collecting those labels.

What is the point of Concord buying up all these jazz labels?

Back to the question which is still murky.

On the one hand, the booklet has the shorter take as the master. BUT Bob Blumenthal says this in his liner notes: 'Once again, there is more snap in the master take - a crucial adjustment for a 10-minute performance'. Not sure what to make of that. However, he also says there is no bass solo in the master, and suspects it was edited out. He mentions Lee sounding tentative on alternate so I am sure the shorter take is the master.

BTW, the titles for 'Blues A La Carte' and 'Harry's Last Stand' were reversed per the copyright deposits, but no one wants to believe me.

Edited by bertrand