Most self-indulgent present to self?

There are certainly a number of things that I bought for myself that could be considered self-indulgent, but I think probably the Complete Blu-Ray set of Monty Python's Flying Circus is probably right at the top, namely because I already had them all on DVD (on the old A&E set)!  No question that the quality is much better and they have restored a handful of deleted/censored scenes.  Sometimes this is integrated right into the main episode (the more satisfying way) but when the restored elements were notably lower quality, this is usually treated as a stand-alone bonus feature.

Not only did Network remove the VAT from the price, but shipping was free!  (Maybe this was because I ordered right before Christmas.)

https://networkonair.com/all-products/3077-monty-python-s-flying-circus-norwegian-blu-ray-edition

Happy to discuss if anyone wants to buy the DVD set (which is still quite fine all things considered) at a steep discount, though shipping (even to another part of Canada) is likely to be pricey!

I think mine might be the Collector's Edition of the Bob Dylan Bootleg Series volume "The Cuttting Edge." I certainly didn't need the 7" singles, the leopard skin 45 adaptor, the other ephemora in there, and did I really need all the discs of take after take of the material in the box set? No. And it was expensive. But I have enjoyed owning it, I assure you.

The mammoth Pink Floyd “Early Years” Box set.

29-30 hours of material, almost ALL of it previously unreleased too!! About half on CD — half on DVD’s (w/ duplicate Blue-rays) — and none of the material duplicated between the CD’s and DVD’s/Blue-rays.

The price was bouncing up and down over a six week period on Amazon UK (right after release day), and I jumped on it when it got down to what I ultimately paid:  $309.52 — including shipping.

Very self-indulgent, inarguably.

Edited by Rooster_Ties

The competition for this dubious honor is severe in my case. I suppose it would be a new 77-inch high end Sony 4K tv in 2019, which required...of course!...a new receiver and 4k DVD player. I have thoroughly enjoyed them all, but the setup I had before was also fine. The DVD player does a great job with my cds.

gregmo

Some pricey sets of used books:

Clarendon's "History of the Rebellion," The Letters of Thomas Gray, The Complete Works of Walter Savage Landor are three that come to mind; there may be more, but works that are not in print (like these) are a weakness.

Mosaic sets (I have many) don't count as an Indulgence for me; OTOH I don't recall buying a pricey out-of-print LP or CD.

During my 2015 expedition to Paris Jazz Corner I came across 

R-7357069-1518877875-8255.jpeg.jpg

a fairly well cosseted copy of Perez Prado's first album, with sleeve notes by... Jerry Wexler, then a Billboard writer. Cost about 35 Euro, but there's always 20% discount in July, so the boss can go on holiday in August.

LPM 21 !!!!

MG

23 hours ago, BillF said:

Am pondering this following good reports here, but at £47 have been slow to take the plunge! Anyone want to offload one for less?

9780810823266-us.jpg

It’s worth getting. I picked up a good condition copy at Jazz House Records in Leicester. Not cheap - short and sweet !

Edited by sidewinder

23 hours ago, Larry Kart said:

I've thought about that one several times but haven't pulled the trigger.

FWIW, I picked up that book years ago when it was just a normal price, started it, and didn't find it worth continuing on with. I no longer remember why.

Edited by riddlemay

I don't know ... $50 a pop per digital transfer of a cassette from the Smithsonian?

I did just pay $30 with shipping for a copy of the Messengers 45 of the music from that traffic-safety animation, but at this time of year with bonus and Christmas cash flowing it felt like the right time, high price per minute of music but not something I'll notice as having been spent.  

On 1/3/2021 at 7:52 AM, The Magnificent Goldberg said:

During my 2015 expedition to Paris Jazz Corner I came across 

R-7357069-1518877875-8255.jpeg.jpg

a fairly well cosseted copy of Perez Prado's first album, with sleeve notes by... Jerry Wexler, then a Billboard writer. Cost about 35 Euro, but there's always 20% discount in July, so the boss can go on holiday in August.

LPM 21 !!!!

MG

I've spent many a happy hour--and quite a few francs and euros--in the Paris Jazz Corner!!

gregmo