Charlie Ventura - Adventure With Charlie

mjzee

Release date January 15:

716j3CEFZeL._SL1200_.jpg

71AsKUlRsgL._SL1500_.jpg

Charlie Ventura, one of the most popular, fondly-remembered, and singular saxophone voices in this history of jazz, is the star of these two legendary recording sessions that have not been heard in more than five decades. A 1953 broadcast from New York City's Band Box nightclub features Charlie in the format that made him a star: As the centrepiece of the Gene Krupa Jazz Trio-on tenor, baritone, and bass sax-along with pianist Teddy Napoleon, and that ace drummer man himself. These Boris Rose tapes only appeared on a limited edition bootleg LP some 50 years ago. And from 1957, the year that Ventura placed second only to Stan Getz in the Playboy magazine jazz poll, "Adventure with Charlie" highlight's the saxophonist's modern jazz period, with Ventura "discovery" Billy Bean on guitar and other young lions. "Adventure with Charlie," briefly released more than 60 years ago on the King label, was likely the last, pure jazz recording ever released under the name of Charlie Ventura.

Interesting ... I guess I can do without part 1 (when taken in too large doses, that Krupa format is rather formulaic IMO and I must admit I have never been the biggest fan of Krupa clobbering on the bass drum) but side 2 should be rather more interesting (e.g. to keep my reissues of Ventura's 1956 Baton and Tops LPs company which probably are almost as obscure as the King date).

I've not yet formed a real opinion about Ventura, very mixed. Sometimes I hear some really fine manipulations of the horn that put me in mind of Lockjaw, andsome good playing, period. But sometimes I just hear silliness, triteness, and borderline buffoonery.

So maybe that is my real opinion?

I guess it all depends on whether one one ALSO appreciates him as a white exponent of the first generation of the honking sax clique and goes for this kind of extrovert sax playing (I deliberately won't use the term "exhibitionistic" that has been tagged on him - IMO that's a very dated term; considering what has come since he should sound far less "exhibitionistic" by now. For instance, what was the name of that baritone sax-wielding companion of that sax-playing Grace Kelly again who was discussed here some time ago? ;) Compared to him, for example, Charlie Ventura sounds fairly melodic. :D)

I like Ventura but find that he sometimes overplays and would have done better with some self editing.  I have the same sort reaction at times to James Carter and, to some extent, Lew Tabackin.  The sides with Ventura and Chu Berry together certainly make interesting listening.

11 minutes ago, BillF said:

and featuring Conte Candoli, Bennie Green, Boots Mussulli and Ed Shaughnessy.

A favourite of mine!

Oops, should have posted it in the Jazz of the Later 1940s thread! ;)

I think it has already been mentioned there. ;)

After all its reissues have been around in about a quadrillion different covers and packagings. :D
And in your personnel listing, let's not forget bassist Kenny O'Brien. ^_^

50 minutes ago, Big Beat Steve said:

I think it has already been mentioned there. ;)

After all its reissues have been around in about a quadrillion different covers and packagings. :D
And in your personnel listing, let's not forget bassist Kenny O'Brien. ^_^

... or Dave McKenna and Sonny Igoe who accompany Ventura in the excellent quartet tracks.:)

Edited by BillF

3 hours ago, JSngry said:

I've not yet formed a real opinion about Ventura, very mixed. Sometimes I hear some really fine manipulations of the horn that put me in mind of Lockjaw, andsome good playing, period. But sometimes I just hear silliness, triteness, and borderline buffoonery.

So maybe that is my real opinion?

That seems a fair summary. For me, it depends on what mood I'm in, and/or my sense of what mood Ventura was in. That is, was he a genuine if at times rabid extrovert who painted with a broad brush, like Vido Musso perhaps, or something close to a jazz carnival act, also like Vido Musso perhaps?