Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Hardbopjazz

Birdland is on the verge of closing.

19 posts in this topic

Sad news! Hope the fund-raising campaign succeeds.

Been there just once, in one of my two trips to NY. Robin Eubanks group, if memory serves me right.

Posted (edited)

Sad to hear this. I think I went just the once, to the Broadway and 105th St location. Candid were recording Hilton Ruiz and his group that night. Nice grilled salmon, as I recall !

Edited by sidewinder

Posted (edited)

I went to Birdland several times in the late 90's and saw some great shows. I was lucky to see Andrew Hill with his big band (that was recorded later for the CD, "A Beautiful Day"). Another time I saw Lovano, Liebman & Brecker go toe to toe as I sat at the bar with Maria Schneider. We got to talking after the set about the show. It wasn't until after she left and someone asked me what we talked about that I found out it was her. :)

Edited by bresna

Been there twice, to see Vijay Iyer’s sextet and Maria Schneider’s orchestra. Very nice venue—hope they’re able to hold on. 

Posted (edited)

If you are staying in midtown, it is the convenient/walking distance live music option, along with Iridium. I recollect seeing there: Ron Carter, John Abercrombie, Lee Konitz, Pat Martino, Andy Summers, Vijay Iyer, the Toskiko Akiyoshi-Lew Tabackin Orchestra (except Toshiko was absent that night).

Edited by kh1958

I saw David Matthews, Eddie Gomez and Steve Gadd there as well as Thana Alexa in a group called SONICA, which was fantastic

Is this a case of a business not allowed to open but required to pay bills such as rent?

Posted (edited)

Dang.  My wife and I were only there twice, catching Steve Kuhn's late set with Buster Williams and Joey Baron two nights in a row. It's a nice club.

Edited by Justin V

So far, about 1400 donors have contributed $94,000.

I also donated.

me too. Too many fun nights there sitting at the bar.

About the only good news today is that this campaign appears to be succeeding and is up to $147,000.

They actually met their $250,000 fundraising goal.

11 hours ago, Brad said:

They’re having a benefit concert tonight at 7pm eastern  

https://www.savebirdland.com/

It was wonderful. I don't have a lot of cash but I had to give something. I'm hoping they will allow Youtube to replay it for a while. It had to last like close to 4 hours. It really was great. Hope you guys saw some of it.