Birdland is on the verge of closing.

Hardbopjazz

Another club in NYC on the verge of closing. A go fund me campaign has been set up to try to save the club   

https://www.gofundme.com/f/save-birdland-the-jazz-corner-of-the-world?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=p_cp+share-sheet&fbclid=IwAR02-IU4EzchxDLD5SocJiddV5TR7n8li2dd-6Z19ofNgjofj-GTgxpInwc

Edited by Hardbopjazz

I went to Birdland several times in the late 90's and saw some great shows. I was lucky to see Andrew Hill with his big band (that was recorded later for the CD, "A Beautiful Day"). Another time I saw Lovano, Liebman & Brecker go toe to toe as I sat at the bar with Maria Schneider. We got to talking after the set about the show. It wasn't until after she left and someone asked me what we talked about that I found out it was her. :)

Edited by bresna

If you are staying in midtown, it is the convenient/walking distance live music option, along with Iridium. I recollect seeing there: Ron Carter, John Abercrombie, Lee Konitz, Pat Martino, Andy Summers, Vijay Iyer, the Toskiko Akiyoshi-Lew Tabackin Orchestra (except Toshiko was absent that night).

Edited by kh1958

• 2 weeks later...
11 hours ago, Brad said:

They’re having a benefit concert tonight at 7pm eastern  

https://www.savebirdland.com/

It was wonderful. I don't have a lot of cash but I had to give something. I'm hoping they will allow Youtube to replay it for a while. It had to last like close to 4 hours. It really was great. Hope you guys saw some of it.