Herbie Nichols Radio Interview

Tom 1960

Found this under the video display.

Herbie Nichols is interviewed on the radio show, The Scope of Jazz by Mait Eady. I purchased Nichols' handwritten scores for The Gig and 52nd St. Rag. Within the envelope was a CD with this rare interview. These were given to a friend of Nichols, Joe Muranyi, who is mentioned in the interview. This is a rare chance to hear Nichols talk about his early life studying music, Harlem house parties, hearing big bands at The Apollo, George Gershwin and jazz criticism. It is a phenomenal interview, and the only time we can hear the speaking voice of one of the most original pianists and compsers.

The photos of Nichols are by Francis Wolff from the Mosaic Records collection.

https://www.mosaicrecordsimages.com/p...

The music featured is primarily from the Blue Note Records catalog.

Thank you and enjoy - JASON MORAN

Hey, yes, it's authentic--I listened live yesterday when Jason premiered it on YouTube, and it's amazing!  Glad to see that it's still available for all to enjoy... well worth it for any devotees of Nichols (and I know there are more than a few on the board here).  Near the end there are some notated sheets of Herbie's shown for a tune called "52nd St. Rag," with which I'm unfamiliar... has anybody recorded it?

Edited by ghost of miles

1 hour ago, ghost of miles said:

Hey, yes, it's authentic--I listened live yesterday when Jason premiered it on YouTube, and it's amazing!  Glad to see that it's still available for all to enjoy... well worth it for any devotees of Nichols (and I know there are more than a few on the board here).  Near the end there are some notated sheets of Herbie's shown for a tune called "52nd St. Rag," with which I'm unfamiliar... has anybody recorded it?

Thanks for confirming. Not that I really doubted it was real... it's just that it's so out of the blue. But what a treasure.

Old 52nd Street Rag was one of the pieces that Herbie gave to Roswell Rudd. Rudd also included it in his book. He recorded it in his two volume Unheard Herbie Nichols set. I believe it is the only recording. Will check layer.

I missed the backstory - it is Jason Moran who bought the lead sheets and whoever he bought them from gave him this CD? Interesting. I remember Fred Cohen at Jazz Record Center mentioning some lead sheets, and possibly he told me they were in the possession of Joe Muranyi. Maybe Jason bought these from Fred. I knew the interview existed but I was not sure who had it. I am still not 100% clear. It is funny how much mystery still surrounds Herbie after 58 years.

Edit: The Tom Lord discography shows two other versions of Old 52nd Street Rag: Pianist David Haney solo in 2011 (CIMP) and Howard Alden/Marty Krystall/Buell Neidlinger on K2B2. Lord says 2017 for the latter but that can't be right, my CD says 2013.

Rudd's version (CIMP) is from 1996.

Edited by bertrand

gotta listen when I have a chance. Ros was fascinating when talking about Nichols, and explained very patiently to me  one day that Herbie's career problems had nothing to do with industry problems or evil businessman but because Nichols basically talked himself out of the business. "He was just everywhere else, anything but the music" Ros said to me, "and would not get down to business with club owners, and so they wouldn't deal with him."  It's a pity, but it's just the way he was.

Edited by AllenLowe

On 1/4/2021 at 6:44 PM, bertrand said:

Old 52nd Street Rag was one of the pieces that Herbie gave to Roswell Rudd. Rudd also included it in his book. He recorded it in his two volume Unheard Herbie Nichols set. I believe it is the only recording. Will check layer.

I missed the backstory - it is Jason Moran who bought the lead sheets and whoever he bought them from gave him this CD? Interesting. I remember Fred Cohen at Jazz Record Center mentioning some lead sheets, and possibly he told me they were in the possession of Joe Muranyi. Maybe Jason bought these from Fred. I knew the interview existed but I was not sure who had it. I am still not 100% clear. It is funny how much mystery still surrounds Herbie after 58 years.

Edit: The Tom Lord discography shows two other versions of Old 52nd Street Rag: Pianist David Haney solo in 2011 (CIMP) and Howard Alden/Marty Krystall/Buell Neidlinger on K2B2. Lord says 2017 for the latter but that can't be right, my CD says 2013.

Rudd's version (CIMP) is from 1996.

Edited by Ken Dryden
Deleted comments.