Unheard Miles and Coltrane.

Hardbopjazz

The eBay listing also includes a link to a 21-min clip of the (whole?) thing...

Can somebody grab this audio, before it disappears presumably soon, when the auction is over (or soon after that).

First I was ever aware of Miles playing live with vibes!! - or certainly not in 1960 (totally news to me!).

https://clyp.it/jkhw3lrc

33 minutes ago, Rooster_Ties said:

The eBay listing also includes a link to a 21-min clip of the (whole?) thing...

Can somebody grab this audio, before it disappears presumably soon, when the auction is over (or soon after that).

First I was ever aware of Miles playing live with vibes!! - or certainly not in 1960 (totally news to me!).

https://clyp.it/jkhw3lrc

I grabbed it.  

42 minutes ago, Hardbopjazz said:

Yes. Even Peter Losin didn't know about it. (i.e. He knew about the existence of the band but not that it had ever been recorded.  BTW this is probably one side of the record. Who knows, what if anything is on the other. )

13 minutes ago, clifford_thornton said:

I'm sure that at least Miles and Milt performed in concert together.

http://www.plosin.com/milesahead/Query.aspx

BTW I've bid on it even though I don't have a turntable.  Probably won't get it. 

Edited by medjuck

Buddy Montgomery's time with Davis is documented on pages 186-189 or the Coltrane Reference.  There were apparently gigs in Chicago, Los Angeles, Oakland and San Francisco just prior to the Spring 196- European tour that folks are familiar with.  There are references to the possibility of a tape from the March 4, 1960 San Francisco Civic Auditorium gig on pages 189 and 575.

This is being discussed on the Wynton Kelly/Cecil Payne thread where Medjuck reported that he captured the Clyp audio .  I got it too.  Easy enough to record with Audacity.  It's a needle drop with a fair amount of surface noise but the tenor solo on "So What" is as long or longer than anything from the tour.  OTOH, Wynton Kelly's piano solo was either missed or cut out from "So What" and the second piece is severely truncated.

Still...an outstanding find.

37 minutes ago, medjuck said:

Yes. Even Peter Losin didn't know about it. (i.e. He knew about the existence of the band but not that it had ever been recorded.  BTW this is probably one side of the record. Who knows, what if anything is on the other. )

http://www.plosin.com/milesahead/Query.aspx

The B side is the Montgomery Brothers from the Jazz Workshop.

What this really illuminates for me is knowing that Miles had to (literally?) beg Trane to come on that European tour with him, this is the most vivid example I've hear as to why that was and why he really did not want to go. He was ready. this is the  first "prelude to Paris" that I've hear.

19 hours ago, JSngry said:

What this really illuminates for me is knowing that Miles had to (literally?) beg Trane to come on that European tour with him, this is the most vivid example I've hear as to why that was and why he really did not want to go. He was ready. this is the  first "prelude to Paris" that I've hear.

Trane going at it like that for 9 minutes... didn't Miles hate that? It makes me wonder why he had Trane go on that European tour at all. From this, it sounds like he knew what he was in for.

I don't think Miles hated it, or if he ever did, not once Trane got fully tracked in. Miles could hear what was going on, and I'm sure felt tht losing Trane meant losing his front row seat to what was going on.

Truthfully, I don't think he found a similar kick in his own band for his own head until Wayne came on board. George Coleman was fine, but he wasn't Wayne.

For all the ican-talk and anti-icon-talk around Miles, never did he lose a very keen ear for things outside himself, nor an overriding desire to have a band, not just a jam group.

Here’s the info I have for this: 

MILES DAVIS SEXTET 
Miles Davis (tp); John Coltrane (ts); Buddy Montgomery (vib); Wynton Kelly (p); Paul Chambers (b); Jimmy Cobb (d). 
“Dimensions in Jazz” concert, Civic Auditorium, San Francisco, CA, Friday, March 4, 1960 
01. So What 
02. On Green Dolphin Street (n/c)

MONTGOMERY BROTHERS QUINTET
Ron Washington (ts); Buddy Montgomery (p); Wes Montgomery (g); Monk Montgomery (b); Lenny McBrowne (d). 
Radio broadcast, Jazz Workshop, San Francisco, CA, between June 17 and July 18, 1960 
01. West Coast 
02. In Your Own Sweet Way 

The Montgomery Brothers group opened at the Jazz Workshop on June 17, replacing Horace Silver’s Quintet. They were followed by the “Lockjaw” Davis-Johnny Griffin Quintet (dubbed “The Tenor Scene”) who opened July 19. 

Edited by James Accardi
I forgot to list “On Green Dolphin Street”.