Unheard Miles and Coltrane.

Hardbopjazz

On 1/4/2021 at 6:36 PM, JSngry said:

What this really illuminates for me is knowing that Miles had to (literally?) beg Trane to come on that European tour with him, this is the most vivid example I've hear as to why that was and why he really did not want to go. He was ready. this is the  first "prelude to Paris" that I've hear.

yeah, exactly.

2 hours ago, Brad said:

It sold for $1358. Hope the buyer was a label that will make it available to the public. 

What label might that be? At what price? In what format?

I carpe diemmed on the mp3's of both sides of the offering, and I'm glad that I did. As far as I'm concerned, that WAS making it available to the public.

Short of of this item being included in some future volume of the Miles Bootleg series, don't hold your breath or your money.

19 hours ago, JSngry said:

What label might that be? At what price? In what format?

I carpe diemmed on the mp3's of both sides of the offering, and I'm glad that I did. As far as I'm concerned, that WAS making it available to the public.

Short of of this item being included in some future volume of the Miles Bootleg series, don't hold your breath or your money.

How do you grab this exactly? I have never used clyp. I got an account, but after that I am stuck...

21 minutes ago, bertrand said:

How do you grab this exactly? I have never used clyp. I got an account, but after that I am stuck...

If you use Firefox, just download the Add-on called Video Download Helper: https://addons.mozilla.org/.../addon/video-downloadhelper/ Once you install that, when you go to the page with this music, just click the Video Download Helper icon. It'll be at the top right of the screen and it'll be 3 little balls colored red, yellow & blue (they are gray if there is no download content). Click that and it'll show you the file you want (Miles Davis Sextet Acetate - Clyp.mp3) and on the next screen, click "Use browser". It shoould get downloaded to your download folder.

23 hours ago, Brad said:

It sold for $1358. Hope the buyer was a label that will make it available to the public. 

15 discrete bidders (I mean 42 bids by 15 individuals). If you're going to issue it, pretty cheap I would think. I just wish someone put the music up like this when there a Rose LP which featured Johnny Griffin and the Three Sounds. Chewy saw it but didn't tell us about it until after the fact. I'd have been happy to snatch that and clean it up, if not bid a decent amount to land it (that would be way less than $1358).

2 minutes ago, Dan Gould said:

If you're going to issue it, pretty cheap I would think.

After getting legal clearances and paying justly? And then there's packaging/design, stuff like that.

How many $30+$50 LPs (the going rate these days, it seems?) would you have to sell to break even? CD in this market?

Of course, if you want to Boris Rose it and put it out on cheap vinyl and zero niceties and sell it for $5.95 or something...how many of THAT would you have to sell to break even?

For real, I would expect this to come out either thru Gordy Puhockles (or his unnamed 3rd cousin twice removed thrice restored) or else in whatever the Miles Bootleg Series has in store 57 years from now...either way. that mp3 is getting it done for me.

Now what I am wondering is...what other items of this nature exist, and have been collected, by, say, Resonance? If Zevvers can pull something like that out of his ass and get it to market, hey...