Rega P1 and P2 turntables

Bol

When I moved from the US to the UK 4+ years ago, I sold my Rega P1 turntable.  I am now beginning to think about getting one here in the UK.  I am not really an audiophile; I have about 100-150 LP's that are in really good shape; and I was fairly happy with P1.  But when I got my P1 around 2010, a colleague who was an audiophile told me that I had made a mistake.  He said that by going up to the next level I would have gotten much more for my money than I did by getting the entry level turntable such as P1.  If that really is the case, I would like to avoid the mistake on my next turntable purchase.  So could people let me know whether paying £150 extra for P2 is really worth it?  (P1 is £250 and P2 is £400.). Thanks in advance for your views.

Edited by Bol

Bol,

I've never heard either of these tables, so I can't speak to the specifics. 

But one thing to consider: The biggest improvements in audio quality occur at lowest end of the cost spectrum.  As you spend more and more, the improvements get smaller and smaller.  So, generally speaking, you'll get a MUCH bigger sonic improvement "bang for your buck" going from a $1,000 dollar system to a $3,000 system than you will from going from a $10,000 system to a $30,000 system -- even though you're spending ten times more in the latter case.  "Diminishing returns," as they say.

I happen to have an old Rega Planar 3.  This is ancient history, but there was a VERY significant jump in audio in between the 2 and the 3, even though the cost difference was just a couple hundred dollars.  (And the improvement became even more pronounced when I upgraded the cartridge on my table to a Dynavector.)

My 2 cents.  :)

Edited by HutchFan

With turntable updates it tends to be increments and then very big jumps - the latter for things like major armboard/chassis updates, power supplies, tonearms/bearings and cartridges. Ultimately, you tend to get what you pay for.

As you spend more on your turntable though you tend to need to spend more on the rest of your system in order to get the best out of it. Matching of capability at the system level is important. So - go for the deck which best matches the rest of your setup.

Edited by sidewinder

If the cheaper arm has decent bearings, I doubt the difference between the P1 and P2 would be significant, especially since factory-mounted cartridge is the same. My reservation would be with the lack of anti-skating, which applies to the P1, unless I'm mistaken, and it does have the adjustable anti-skate. Is that what you Brits, call bias?

Another turntable in this price bracket that looks well-thought out is the Fluance...I would unquestionably pick it over the Rega, in part because of the removable headshells. 

I don't have specific similar experience but I bought an RP3 with the TTPSU and the Elys2 cartridge. I then incrementally added all the Groovetracer mods you can to the turntable and moved to the white Rega belt.

Every step of the way was an improvement and the complete complement really upped the sonic quality of the RP3. I would imagine that the Rega model ladder reflects similar gains in sonic quality as one moves up. These Groovetracer mods are available for the P1 and they can be added one by one so if you got the P1 you could start getting a bit better sound modification by modification. . . .

9 hours ago, Dmitry said:

If the cheaper arm has decent bearings, I doubt the difference between the P1 and P2 would be significant, especially since factory-mounted cartridge is the same. My reservation would be with the lack of anti-skating, which applies to the P1, unless I'm mistaken, and it does have the adjustable anti-skate. Is that what you Brits, call bias?

Another turntable in this price bracket that looks well-thought out is the Fluance...I would unquestionably pick it over the Rega, in part because of the removable headshells. 

Yes, anti-skate.

Thanks, everyone.  I wish that I could go into an audio shop and listen to these tables.  I may wait a bit longer (a year?) to be able to do that.  I may be foolish in thinking this way, but I don't think I want to keep thinking about and spending money on improving my audio system.  For one thing, I don't want to spend increasing amounts of money on a process that may be never ending -- as some people have warned me based on their own experiences.  For another, I'd rather spend my mental energy on the music rather than the technology.  

• 3 weeks later...
19 minutes ago, Dmitry said:

Home demo for a 250 pound turntable?! 

I did say ‘if the dealers are willing’ ;). Certainly, if I was going to splash serious $ on capable new kit, I would try to have a listen in shop or even better, in own environment. As I say, good dealers (at least over here) will usually try to assist.

In case you are still considering a Rega P1 [or P2, for that matter], the cartridge they supply with these tables, the Rega Carbon, is a rebadged Audio-Technica AT3600L, which retailed for $11 not too long ago, and may still be found in that price bracket, if one asserts oneself.  

• 1 month later...

News update:  I ended up getting the P2.  I didn't get to demo anything as the shops here in London are all still closed.  Basically, my desire to get one has been increasing lately, and P1 has been out of stock at all the online shops.  And while the prices of both models went up recently, I found one shop online that had the P2 at the old price.  Thought I should jump on it.

I am really happy with P2 so far.  Obviously, I can't compare the sounds.  But if I remember my old P1, the sound was not as impressive as this new P2.  I feel like with this P2 there is a greater disparity between the sound of the LP and that of the CD of the same recordings.  Also, I really like the look of this P2 much better -- esp. the glass platter.  

Thanks again for all your advice and recommendations.  My next music ambition:  obtaining a nice copy of Gerry Mulligan's "What is There to Say?" (6-eye mono) at a decent price.  I have an OK copy now, and its ticks seem more glaring and annoying on the P2!  Most likely, I will have to do that next time I travel to the U.S.    

Edited by Bol

6 hours ago, Bill Nelson said:

Like you, I've been considering ordering a P2 online, with no prior opportunity to examine it.  Here's my naive question:

Is the P2 automatic -- will the tone arm return to its post upon reaching the record's trail-out grooves?  Thank you.   

Like Larry said, no.  It takes a little getting used to, but I think you will develop a muscle memory for putting the needle on and off records pretty quickly.  I highly recommend the P2.

Edited by Bol

13 hours ago, Bill Nelson said:

Like you, I've been considering ordering a P2 online, with no prior opportunity to examine it.  Here's my naive question:

Is the P2 automatic -- will the tone arm return to its post upon reaching the record's trail-out grooves?  Thank you.   

The only suggestion I have is do not listen to boring music, so you will be awake at the end of the side.:D