Tyshawn Sorey NYT profile

Mark Stryker

Long NYT Magazine profile of Tyshawn Sorey by Adam Shatz. I intentionally posted this here n the Artists forum rather than Jazz in Print or Classical because to have slotted it into one of the categories seemed a betrayal of Sorey's aesthetics. and the theme of the piece. 

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/01/07/magazine/tyshawn-sorey.html

1 hour ago, Mark Stryker said:

Long NYT Magazine profile of Tyshawn Sorey by Adam Shatz. I intentionally posted this here n the Artists forum rather than Jazz in Print or Classical because to have slotted it into one of the categories seemed a betrayal of Sorey's aesthetics. and the theme of the piece. 

I was at the 3/3 show - the last live show I attended before the pandemic 

pretty great - 2 hours and 20 minute set with no breaks - the young saxophonists are not fully formed but overall a fine performance. Sorey as a drummer is spectacular from any perspective. When I saw him twice in a quartet with Evan Parker, John Hebert and John Escreet he pushed the great saxophonist to great heights on the tenor during an amazing 75 minute set. I was close enough to touch Parker’s Sax if I chose to the second time I think in 2016 @ The Stone.

Edited by Steve Reynolds

Last month I watched a stream of a performance of his Josephine Baker piece 'Perle Noire', astonishing and moving. I hope it gets recorded.

I've only ever seen him live once with the Steve Lehman Octet. The Vortex nearly didn't have any walls left at the end of the evening.

One of a very few artists whose albums I buy without much thought. Never not interesting and more often than not very good indeed.

As always Steve, I envy you that experience.

4 hours ago, Mark Stryker said:

Thanks for posting this.

1 hour ago, jlhoots said:

Going to play Roscoe's Bells ForThe South Side today with Sorey a prominent part.

I love that album. As you say, he's a huge part of it. After listening to records like Pillars, you can't un-hear how important he is to Bells.

It's impressive, given how strong Mitchell's own voice is.