Importing/exporting UK/Europe after Brexit

David Ayers

Anyone care to compare notes on this? I’m waiting for one package to arrive and waiting to see if I get hit for duties. A favorite Polish retailer now will not send to UK. Feels like the lights are going out...

PS should have said I was referring to retail music purchases, but please share other experiences too!

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not specifically Brexit-related but the shipping costs from Amazon.co.uk to Canada and presumably US have gone through the roof .  Will probably never order direct from them again but some of the individual sellers have rates more in line with what I used to pay.

1 hour ago, ejp626 said:

Not specifically Brexit-related but the shipping costs from Amazon.co.uk to Canada and presumably US have gone through the roof . 

And not specifically country oriented too. I find the shipping rates have generally gotten very high. And then on top of that there are sometimes customs duties additionally. I think from the moment the big online retailers felt they had the market in their hands (and this has even been pushed further by the pandemic) they decided to go up.

Just now, Bluesnik said:

And not specifically country oriented too. I find the shipping rates have generally gotten very high. And then on top of that there are sometimes customs duties additionally. I think from the moment the big online retailers felt they had the market in their hands (and this has even been pushed further by the pandemic) they decided to go up.

Absolutely, I've been astounded watching the shipping price from US to Canada go up (was always higher Canada to US).  There can be a few deals to be found here and there, esp. with private sellers on Amazon, but I always pay attention to shipping prices now and I didn't before (10+ years ago) unless it was India to US or something otherwise unusual.  Recently I managed to get quite good rates from Network and BFI (direct, not through Amazon.co.uk).

2 hours ago, OliverM said:

If I understood well, part of the recent deal was no duties within Europe but deliveries will be possibly slowed down by border controls which have already begun.

Value Added Tax (VAT) is due on goods ordered by EU residents from non-EU countries (like the UK) with a total value exceeding 22 euros, but that will change: from July 1, 2021 VAT is payable on all goods imported into the EU from non-EU member states, regardless of the declared value.

Hans

5 hours ago, Bluesnik said:

Those were the times...

I’m just glad that I bought stuff from the US and EU when I did. Golden era, in retrospect. It will be by exception for me, going forward.

4 hours ago, mikeweil said:

Current delays of goods from the UK may be Covid related as well, due to the new variant. It doubles the trouble.

We are also locked down now apart from critical workers, so that will affect things. Likely to be until Easter.

Edited by sidewinder

When they ramped up shipping charges from the US to the UK that slowed my import levels to a trickle - but the other issue was the customs charges which I had to pay. I'm unclear how they will treat imports from EU countries in the UK but I am assuming there will be (prohibitive) charges and probably those retailers in EU countries who now will not ship to the UK think the same. We'll see. I'm assuming this will have an effect on private transactions as well.

I'm wondering about books too, as I get books from France. I don't think there should be any duties or charges on books but I'd like to be sure before I send another order.

I came across three Discogs sellers the other day that had added statements that they were not now shipping to UK. No explanations but they are the first three examples I've come across in 10+ years. 

I was under the impression that Johnson's deal meant no extra costs on imports from EU but added paperwork may well deter sellers or become apparent in higher costs

4 minutes ago, David Ayers said:

Don't get me started... 

Sorry...I know

5 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

I came across three Discogs sellers the other day that had added statements that they were not now shipping to UK. No explanations but they are the first three examples I've come across in 10+ years. 

I was under the impression that Johnson's deal meant no extra costs on imports from EU but added paperwork may well deter sellers or become apparent in higher costs

Sorry...I know

I think the issue is VAT. If VAT has been paid in one EU country then shipped to another there is no VAT to pay. Now that UK is not an EU country VAT is payable same as on anything imported from any other country. It does mean that in theory an EU exporter need not charge VAT on orders sent to UK, but that would require paperwork.

I think.

I'll find out soon as I have an order in transit.

The relevant page on gov.uk currently states:

The Brexit transition period has ended and new rules on tax and customs on goods sent from abroad now apply. This page is currently out of date.

Not. Much. Help.

14 minutes ago, David Ayers said:

I think the issue is VAT. If VAT has been paid in one EU country then shipped to another there is no VAT to pay. Now that UK is not an EU country VAT is payable same as on anything imported from any other country. It does mean that in theory an EU exporter need not charge VAT on orders sent to UK, but that would require paperwork.

I think.

I'll find out soon as I have an order in transit.

The relevant page on gov.uk currently states:

The Brexit transition period has ended and new rules on tax and customs on goods sent from abroad now apply. This page is currently out of date.

Not. Much. Help.

Aha! Well that makes me even more happy with them then

Back of an ideological fag packet.

Musicians have been shafted by some swivel-eyed notion of value for money.

Since posting last week, I've found even more Discogs sellers not selling to here. My slow move to streaming and downloads is about to be accelerated.

Edited by mjazzg

6 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

Back of an ideological fag packet.

Musicians have been shafted by some swivel-eyed notion of value for money.

Since posting last week, I've found even more Discogs sellers not selling to here. My slow move to streaming and downloads is about to be accelerated.

I think the cost in shipping plus sheer effort required to fill out the customs form now make it prohibitive for some to ship. My self included. I would have to charge too much for my time and effort to ship abroad it’s not worth it to myself or the buyer. Especially if you’re selling as a hobby. 

I mean I shipped one record from the US to Canada last summer and it cost over $25. And the was the cheapest option. 

1 hour ago, jcam_44 said:

I think the cost in shipping plus sheer effort required to fill out the customs form now make it prohibitive for some to ship. My self included. I would have to charge too much for my time and effort to ship abroad it’s not worth it to myself or the buyer. Especially if you’re selling as a hobby. 

I mean I shipped one record from the US to Canada last summer and it cost over $25. And the was the cheapest option. 

Within the EU it is effortless. Now UK is out of EU sending in or out is going to be prohibitive. We were told we’d have “frictionless trade” with the EU. What a joke. The effect on record collecting  is nothing though compared to the way that people’s living and working arrangements have been dismantled.

My package from an EU country has been sitting in a UK depot for four days - I guess while they mail me for the ransom. 

22 minutes ago, David Ayers said:

Within the EU it is effortless. Now UK is out of EU sending in or out is going to be prohibitive. We were told we’d have “frictionless trade” with the EU. What a joke. The effect on record collecting  is nothing though compared to the way that people’s living and working arrangements have been dismantled.

My package from an EU country has been sitting in a UK depot for four days - I guess while they mail me for the ransom. 

That sucks. Brexit was going to be a difficult transition without a pandemic.