Importing/exporting UK/Europe after Brexit

David Ayers

7 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

Not sure about German cricket but The Dutch cricket team has been competitive in the past in shorter forms of the great game.

I don't know about the Dutch either, but I haven't heard about cricket being big in Austria and Switzerland, for example.
I mentioned Bert Trautmann just as a very approximate analogy of someone coming into a foreign country and making it big there through sports (not as a confirmed sportsman - as in the case of international soccer transfers - but as someone working his way up through sports). Isn't that likely to happen with cricket because the domestic base of cricket just is very limited and makes this a very minor sporting event without much media coverage, except as a kind of "oddball attraction".

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Big Beat Steve said:

You know what? Seriously, and at the risk of being political, here is an observation: After the big refugee crisis in the center of Europe in 2015 there were not just suggestions but even urgings on the part of well-meaning persons that oh so many people from countries had been coming in where cricket is strong and who in turn were good at playing cricket themselves that their integration into the host society ought to be fostered by providing them much more of a cricket platform here.
Well, unfortunately (or??) cricket is strictly nowhere here in Germany and in neighboring countries so this is to no avail at all and won't fall on fertile ground in any respect for the foreseeable future. Because the DOMESTIC basis just isn't there.
But this might give you an idea of what the English team could have been up against. ;)
A kind of legions of reverse cases of soccer goalie Bert Trautmann ... :D

The Germans would probably be quite good at it, given time and the inclination. The nearest equivalent I guess would be the South Africans, who have had their ups and downs but over the years  some of their teams, packed with Boer-descendants, have been formidable. The Aussie teams have featured some pretty excellent German descendants too. As have England (even ex-captains, take a bow Mr Strauss :D).

Interestingly, I did get a match or two in in North America. The pace attack I had to face was West Indian immigrants, so the ball was constantly wizzing past my face. I didn’t last long at the crease !

1 hour ago, Big Beat Steve said:

I don't know about the Dutch either, but I haven't heard about cricket being big in Austria and Switzerland, for example.
I mentioned Bert Trautmann just as a very approximate analogy of someone coming into a foreign country and making it big there through sports (not as a confirmed sportsman - as in the case of international soccer transfers - but as someone working his way up through sports). Isn't that likely to happen with cricket because the domestic base of cricket just is very limited and makes this a very minor sporting event without much media coverage, except as a kind of "oddball attraction".

Bert Trautmann - still a legend over here.

Here’s how ebay.co.uk are now handling the new laws:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/help/buying/paying-items/paying-tax-ebay-purchases?id=4771&st=2&pos=2&query=Paying%20tax%20on%20eBay%20purchases&intent=tax

I haven’t looked at detailed examples yet. 

Obviously ebay.co.uk are a legal entity in the UK. But I wonder how non-UK businesses, especially smaller ones, are going to treat this. 

Please lets continue to share experiences/information. 

Edited by David Ayers

So one EU retailer I use seems to have signed up for the eBay VAT regime. Good. I’ve also got something coming from another source. We’ll see what happens in each case. 

Meanwhile, the nightmare for some has only just begun:

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-55887043

Bear in mind that the BBC is pretty cowed these days by government threats to their funding and accusations they are anti-Brexit. But they still were willing to report these facts.

• 2 weeks later...

So many reports on UK businesses struggling to trade in EU. 

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/eu-referendum

I haven’t seen stories on EU businesses attempting to trade into UK. 

More woe:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2021/feb/15/covid-damaged-small-businesses-brexit-uk-eu-trading

I purchased a 9 GBP CD from the UK on Discogs a week ago, just to see what would happen (it was available at a higher price from a couple of EU countries). Today I got an invoice from Swedish customs; EUR 2.50 VAT and 7.50 "handling" charge. If I thought that such a cheap item would slip through - not so. 

1 minute ago, Daniel A said:

I purchased a 9 GBP CD from the UK on Discogs a week ago, just to see what would happen (it was available at a higher price from a couple of EU countries). Today I got an invoice from Swedish customs; EUR 2.50 VAT and 7.50 "handling" charge. If I thought that such a cheap item would slip through - not so. 

Thanks for the info and sorry to hear that. I’ve had a couple get into the UK from the EU and another on the way. I think it’s a matter of time before they tighten up here. At which point I’m out. 

As a Dutch customs officer recently said to a lorry driver from the UK: "Welcome to Brexit, Sir".

17 hours ago, Daniel A said:

Doesn't Sweden - as a EU member state - apply the tax-free 22 euro threshold for imports from a third country? That threshold won't be abolished until July 1.

Edited by J.A.W.

2 hours ago, J.A.W. said:

As a Dutch customs officer recently said to a lorry driver from the UK: "Welcome to Brexit, Sir".

Doesn't Sweden - as a EU member state - apply the tax-free 22 euro threshold for imports from a third country? That threshold won't be abolished until July 1.

Apparently, Sweden has always had another interpretation of the rule and has applied VAT also on low-value items (at least in principle). I guess that with new, better routines for screening all packages, nothing slips through.