Importing/exporting UK/Europe after Brexit

David Ayers

That's interesting about the 22 euro tax free threshold. I was hearing on BBC radio the other day that the tax free £15 allowance here has been  (or will be?) removed for imports to the UK  from all countries , not just the EU. Either overseas sellers register and collect UK VAT (for items less than £135) or UK customs collect at point of entry into the UK. The latter no doubt with a £12 handling charge added. Given the chaos I've little doubt that some consumers will be charged VAT at point of sale abroad and also at the UK border. Brilliant

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

12 minutes ago, Clunky said:

That's interesting about the 22 euro tax free threshold. I was hearing on BBC radio the other day that the tax free £15 allowance here has been  (or will be?) removed for imports to the UK  from all countries , not just the EU. Either overseas sellers register and collect UK VAT (for items less than £135) or UK customs collect at point of entry into the UK. The latter no doubt with a £12 handling charge added. Given the chaos I've little doubt that some consumers will be charged VAT at point of sale abroad and also at the UK border. Brilliant

Or: they have decided to ignore packages under £135 but just hit the websites. 

You’ll have noticed that eBay is adding VAT. 

5 hours ago, Clunky said:

As I said the 22 euro tax-free threshold for imports into the EU will be gone by 1 July. From that date everything will be taxed, regardless of its value, either by the seller or at point of entry into the EU.

On 23/02/2021 at 4:33 PM, Clunky said:

I should have confirmed that the £15 limit is gone. It’s all at the link I gave way back in the thread. 

I am happy (and relieved) to report that not all is gloom and doom, it seems. On 25 Feb. I took the plunge and bought a couple of vintage car magazines from a seller on ebay.co.uk to complete my run of early 60s issues of a particular UK magazine - and to give the new situation in UK transactions a try. The 4 magazines themselves were only £8 but combined shipping came to £12 (not surprising considering the increases in Royal Mail rates) but it still was worth the deal as previous offers of those mags usually were around the £ 5 to £ 6 mark apiece (over the top but what can you do?). According to schedule the parcel was to arrive on 12 March or so and the online tracking info even included a mention "info provided to customs services" which had me wondering about what customs duties would be due as the total of £ 20 is above the European tax-free limit of 22 EUR. But today the item arrived, with customs clearance sticker attached (the customs form correctly indicated the value at £8 but this often did not prevent the local customs people from requiring me to show up at the customs office with proof of the invoice INCLUDING shipping). I may just have been lucky that it went under the customs radar but in this instance I really cannot complain about the speediness betwen the UK and Germany and about customs processing either. So maybe not all is lost for individual P2P deals?

Edited by Big Beat Steve

1 minute ago, Big Beat Steve said:

I am happy (and relieved) to report that not all is gloom and doom, it seems. On 25 Feb. I took the plunge and bought a couple of vintage car magazines from a seller on ebay.co.uk to complete my run of early 60s issues of a particular UK magazine - and to give the new situation in UK transactions a try. The 4 magazines themselves were only £8 but combined shipping came to £12 (not surprising considering the increases the Royal Mail rates) but it stillwas worth the deal as previous offers of those mags usuall were around the £ 5 to £ 6 mark apiece (over the top but what can you do?). According to schedule the parcel was to arrive on 12 Marhc or so and the online tracking info even included a mention "info provided to customs services" which had me wondering about what customs duties would be due as the total of £ 20 is above the European tax-free limit of 22 EUR. But today the item arrived, with customs clearance sticker attached (the customs form correctly indicated the value at £8 but this often did not prevent the local customs people from requiring me to show up at the customs office with proof of the invoice INCLUDING shipping). I may just have been lucky that it went under the customs radar but in this instance I really cannot complain about the speediness betwen the UK and Germany and about customs processing either. So maybe not all is lost for individual P2P deals?

Well, phew. 

20 hours ago, mjazzg said:

I've had a couple of LP deliveries from EU and both have arrived quickly and without any extra payment. Looks like it's the old "will it, won't it" jeopardy as with customs charges from US

I wonder if they don’t just intend to let packets under £135 through. Otherwise what’s the point of the limit? We’ll see. So far all mine have come through unscathed. All = 4. 

Haven’t seen this extreme prices yet. Have recently sold an LP to someone in the UK. Always used DHL which cost around 10 euros. Prices increased to 35 euros now, ridiculous! 

Used PostNL instead who have raised their prices from 12 euros to 17.50. Also way to high but better than DHL.

• 3 months later...
1 hour ago, mjazzg said:

Discogs now automatically calculating and adding VAT cost for sales from Europe.

"frictionless trade" my arse, thanks Boris and all the other Little Englanders

Now, don't be too hard on our nation!

Remember we have a capacity, unequalled worldwide, for shooting ourselves in the foot.

1 hour ago, mjazzg said:

Discogs now automatically calculating and adding VAT cost for sales from Europe.

It's a bit of a hassle, but you might want to consider contacting the Discogs sellers - more likely than not, they will be happy to sell to you directly.   

14 minutes ago, Д.Д. said:

It's a bit of a hassle, but you might want to consider contacting the Discogs sellers - more likely than not, they will be happy to sell to you directly.   

Thanks, good thought that I'd missed in the red mist...

8 hours ago, Д.Д. said:

For EU residents that wouldn't make a difference now that the 22 euros VAT-free threshold for imports from outside the EU has been abolished; from July 1 VAT is charged on all non-EU imports. I don't know how VAT on private imports is handled by UK Customs post-Brexit, but I understand VAT is due on all imports into the UK as well.

Edited by J.A.W.

21 hours ago, mjazzg said:

Thanks, good thought that I'd missed in the red mist...

23 hours ago, mjazzg said:

What I'm not clear about is whether Discogs orders crossing either way between UK and EU will have custom facilitation charges applied in addition to VAT being levied directly from the sale on the Discogs platform. These custom facilitation charges go to the courier or postal services and can make up a considerable percentage of the overall cost of importing items. The crazy thing is that everyone loses and I can't identify winners other than the exchequer. EU sales to UK will be deterred and vice versa. Brilliant. First world problem of course and very much secondary to climate change and fair vaccine distribution but it makes no sense to me. Perhaps I should get my EU orders shipped to my family in Northern Ireland.....

15 minutes ago, Clunky said:

What I'm not clear about is whether Discogs orders crossing either way between UK and EU will have custom facilitation charges applied in addition to VAT being levied directly from the sale on the Discogs platform. These custom facilitation charges go to the courier or postal services and can make up a considerable percentage of the overall cost of importing items. The crazy thing is that everyone loses and I can't identify winners other than the exchequer. EU sales to UK will be deterred and vice versa. Brilliant. First world problem of course and very much secondary to climate change and fair vaccine distribution but it makes no sense to me. Perhaps I should get my EU orders shipped to my family in Northern Ireland.....

I'm hoping not, but expecting the worst, only because handrling charges have only been charged in the past by Royal Mail when they 'caught'' an eligible package. I'm assuming that if the VAT has been charged at source then this will be apparent and the parcels won't be 'caught/eligible'. I may be missing something but ...

Or are you referring to a different handling charge?

Do your NI family want to adopt?

6 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

I'm hoping not, but expecting the worst, only because handrling charges have only been charged in the past by Royal Mail when they 'caught'' an eligible package. I'm assuming that if the VAT has been charged at source then this will be apparent and the parcels won't be 'caught/eligible'. I may be missing something but ...

Or are you referring to a different handling charge?

Do your NI family want to adopt?

Yes Royal Mail and any others. I recently ordered  used camera equipment  from the EU. This (item+postage costs) was subjected to VAT at 20% and a customs handling charge by DHL of £12. It really makes ordering items from the EU prohibitive especially when used items don't attract VAT if sourced here in the UK. In this case it was something I'd not been able to find in the UK so I was prepared for the worst and got that outcome ! 

• 4 weeks later...

The two Lloyd McNeill CDs I ordered from Soul Jazz in the UK crossed the channel quickly but then stayed in the German delivery depot for 13 days until it was processed by the customs. Now I'm curious how much their charge will be.

I always found it ridiculous that they include shipping costs when calculating import charges.