Importing/exporting UK/Europe after Brexit

David Ayers

On 30-7-2021 at 8:43 AM, Д.Д. said:

"Occasional" imports of gifts from individuals (not companies!) to individuals of value up to €45 is apparently not subject to VAT in the EU. I have something shipped from the UK this way at the moment to see if this works. 

Have you received it yet? How did it go?

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, J.A.W. said:

Have you received it yet? How did it go?

On 30/07/2021 at 8:43 AM, Д.Д. said:

"Occasional" imports of gifts from individuals (not companies!) to individuals of value up to €45 is apparently not subject to VAT in the EU. I have something shipped from the UK this way at the moment to see if this works. 

Well, the only thing I received was notification from the post office that I should come pick up my package - and pay some fee. Let's see what it is,  I will try to get it reimbursed. Fun to ensue.

2 hours ago, Д.Д. said:

Well, the only thing I received was notification from the post office that I should come pick up my package - and pay some fee. Let's see what it is,  I will try to get it reimbursed. Fun to ensue.

As I understand it nothing is free anymore, VAT will be charged on everything that's imported into the EU, no matter if it's a gift from a friend valued under 45 euros, second-hand/used or whatever.

Edited by J.A.W.

8 hours ago, J.A.W. said:

As I understand it nothing is free anymore, VAT will be charged on everything that's imported into the EU, no matter if it's a gift from a friend valued under 45 euros, second-hand/used or whatever.

Well, the Austrian customs page is fairly straightforward on this:

Für private Geschenksendungen besteht die Abgabenfreiheit bis zu einem Warenwert von 45 Euro. Private Geschenksendungen sind Warensendungen von einer Privatperson aus einem Nicht-EU-Staat an eine andere Privatperson in der EU, wenn sie

• gelegentlich erfolgen, 
  • sich ausschließlich aus Waren zum Eigenbedarf zusammensetzen und nach Art und Menge keine Einfuhr zu geschäftlichen Zwecken vermuten lassen und
  • die Empfängerin/der Empfänger ohne irgendeine Bezahlung erhält.

I will probably go to the post office to retrieve my packages (one from UK another from Switzerland) tomorrow, let's see what they say. Will report. 

Edited by Д.Д.

On 30.7.2021 at 8:27 AM, mikeweil said:

The two Lloyd McNeill CDs I ordered from Soul Jazz in the UK crossed the channel quickly but then stayed in the German delivery depot for 13 days until it was processed by the customs. Now I'm curious how much their charge will be.

I always found it ridiculous that they include shipping costs when calculating import charges.

I wasn't charged anything for this shipment of two CDs. Don't ask me why.

Edited by mikeweil

1 hour ago, Д.Д. said:

Well, the Austrian customs page is fairly straightforward on this:

Für private Geschenksendungen besteht die Abgabenfreiheit bis zu einem Warenwert von 45 Euro. Private Geschenksendungen sind Warensendungen von einer Privatperson aus einem Nicht-EU-Staat an eine andere Privatperson in der EU, wenn sie

• gelegentlich erfolgen, 
  • sich ausschließlich aus Waren zum Eigenbedarf zusammensetzen und nach Art und Menge keine Einfuhr zu geschäftlichen Zwecken vermuten lassen und
  • die Empfängerin/der Empfänger ohne irgendeine Bezahlung erhält.

I will probably go to the post office to retrieve my packages (one from UK another from Switzerland) tomorrow, let's see what they say. Will report. 

I wonder if they forgot to delete this when the new rules came info force on 1 July :) Dutch customs is clear about this: no such exception and I think it's an EU-wide rule, but maybe you're lucky. Please keep us posted.

1 hour ago, mikeweil said:

I wasn't charged anything for this shipment of two CDs. Don't ask me why.

Maybe too much hassle for such a small shipment? Officials in the Netherlands complained about the amount of extra work that comes with the new VAT-rules for imports into the EU.

Edited by J.A.W.

14 hours ago, Д.Д. said:

Was it sent von einer Privatperson? 

No, it was the two Lloyd McNeill CDs I had ordered from Soul Jazz.

12 hours ago, J.A.W. said:

Maybe too much hassle for such a small shipment? Officials in the Netherlands complained about the amount of extra work that comes with the new VAT-rules for imports into the EU.

It was held at the delivery depot for almost two weeks before it was released by the customs.

Shipping agents probably are not amused .....

OK, got back from the post office. The €45 tax-free threshold for private gifts seems to work (Hans, the Netherlands customs seems to confirm as much: https://www.belastingdienst.nl/wps/wcm/connect/bldcontenten/belastingdienst/individuals/abroad_and_customs/receiving_goods_from_abroad/ ). In my case, I was charged VAT because the sender did not indicate his name, so the customs could not confirm the package is from an individual (as opposed to a company). What's annoying is that on top of the VAT there is a €5 "processing" fee charged by the post here.

Edited by Д.Д.

1 hour ago, Д.Д. said:

OK, got back from the post office. The €45 tax-free threshold for private gifts seems to work (Hans, the Netherlands customs seems to confirm as much: https://www.belastingdienst.nl/wps/wcm/connect/bldcontenten/belastingdienst/individuals/abroad_and_customs/receiving_goods_from_abroad/ ). In my case, I was charged VAT because the sender did not indicate his name, so the customs could not confirm the package is from an individual (as opposed to a company). What's annoying is that on top of the VAT there is a €5 "processing" fee charged by the post here.

Thanks for the info, David. I contacted Dutch customs about this a while ago and apparently was misinformed, they told me at the time the 45 euro threshold for shipments from private persons outside the EU would be abolished, just like the 22 euro threshold for everything else. Good to see it wasn't.