Togetherness Music

Alexander Hawkins

If anyone is interested, I have a new album out next week - although available now to preorder, and there are some copies out there already. It's called 'Togetherness Music', and is an extended composition for 16 musicians, featuring (among others) Evan Parker and the Riot Ensemble - an amazing UK-based contemporary music ensemble, who commissioned the work in its original form. There is a full personnel on the Intakt website, and it's available to buy there, or via the Intakt Bandcamp page (it comes in their great new cardboard sleeve). Liner notes by James Fei.

Miraculously, there was a window here in the UK last summer where it was safe and legal for us to get together in the studio to work on this music, and I'm thrilled with the results, so please do consider checking it out if you're curious!

361_cover_kl.jpg

361_photo_web.jpg

As someone lucky enough to have got my hands on a copy I have to say buy it!  It's a marvellous listen that wears its complexity lightly.  Anyone with ears open to composition and improvisation seamlessly intertwined will enjoy this.  There's some good tunes too (as always with Alex's music)!  And especially if you're an Evan Parker fan then don't think twice.  

Album of the year so far :lol:

1 hour ago, Alexander Hawkins said:

Miraculously, there was a window here in the UK last summer where it was safe and legal for us to get together in the studio

Yes, I was trying to work out how that happened, easing after first lockdown I guess

Doing a bit of catching up with our man from Oxford.

Arrived today Roberto Ottaviano- Resonances and Rhapsodies (Dodicilune), first spin very promising and quite different from the previously issued Sideralis and Eternal Love.

Hopefully the Dolphy tribute will make it across the channel and the new Intakt is meant to be here tomorrow. So plenty of high quality listening ahead.

1 hour ago, Clunky said:

Doing a bit of catching up with our man from Oxford.

Arrived today Roberto Ottaviano- Resonances and Rhapsodies (Dodicilune), first spin very promising and quite different from the previously issued Sideralis and Eternal Love.

Hopefully the Dolphy tribute will make it across the channel and the new Intakt is meant to be here tomorrow. So plenty of high quality listening ahead.

Thanks so much for listening, Adrian! The Resonances and Rhapsodies session was really fun...one of my last trips abroad to play before the lockdown! (And in fact, we recorded the Dolphy concert only the week after R&R, if I remember correctly...)

22 hours ago, Clunky said:

I've played "Togetherness" through about five times this afternoon. An amazing piece of work which in terms of mood if nothing else reminds me of "Live in Oxford". It has an edge to it that I can't quite describe but can feel. 

Wow - thank you! That's really interesting - the Convergence Quartet album? I hadn't thought of that...I need to relisten...fascinating!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Dolphy Underlined arrived today in what's pretty quick from Poland and sounds very promising on first spin. Rome February 2020 was clearly a very productive time with both this and the Ottaviano discs mentioned above being recorded then. Anymore from your Italian sojourn ? 

• 2 weeks later...