What else is similar/related to the Tristano/Konitz/Marsh Atlantic Mosaic? (1960's or earlier)

Rooster_Ties

About a month ago I acquired the Mosaic box, courtesy of a very gracious board member (thank you!!).  And I also have the following two releases...

Intuition -- Lennie Tristano and Warne Marsh (1949 & 1956 sessions) -- I picked this one up first, about 4 months ago, and that's what started to get me hooked

R-1085765-1190953397.jpeg.jpg

Then last week I picked up Subconscious-Lee -- Lee Konitz (1949-1950).

R-1931703-1253291001.jpeg.jpg

So if I want to focus on more material from the 40's, 50's, and 60's -- but I'm not really looking for a whole dozen more CD's... ...so I think 3-4 more CD's would probably do it.

• Is there anything else really key to add by or with Tristano especially??
  • Konitz too, whose cool playing from the Mosaic box has me TOTALLY transfixed (this is really my first major exposure to his Lee's earlier playing -- though I did hear Lee live in Kansas City in 2006 with Bill Frisell).  I do have Birth of the Cool (of course), and an interesting co-leader day with/by Attila Zoller, Lee Konitz, Albert Mangelsdorff called Zo-Ko-Ma (MPS, 1968) -- and I've heard 3-4 later dates that have Lee with Brad Mehldau, Kenny Wheeler, etc... ...and a couple other random Lee leader-dates from the 90's.
  • I'm especially loving the interplay of Warne when he's paired with another sax player (more than that one Warne Atlantic date where he's the only sax player, which I'm still wrapping my head around).  NOTE: The only other Warne date I own is All Music, which I've had for about 12 years.

BTW, I've meant to try and find a reasonably priced copy of the 3CD expanded version of Lee's Motion (Verve, 1961) literally for YEARS -- but I haven't found one yet.

But I have to admit that it's the prospect of hearing more of these guys in contexts where there's a good bit of collective (multi-voice) improv. -- either two horns, or with piano and/or guitar.

So where do I go next??  What should I prioritize?  Thanks!!

Edited by Rooster_Ties

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Ted Brown / Warne Marsh recordings (FREEWHEELIN' etc.). Also, the Art Pepper / Marsh session for Contemporary. You can get a taste via THE WAY IT WAS, but the complete sessions are out there too, though maybe only ever released in Japan [?].

Edited by Joe

31 minutes ago, Joe said:

Also, the Lee Konitz / Gerry Mulligan / Chet Baker Pacific Jazz date... maybe I'm just clueless, but I don't see much discussion of this one. A key document, and still very fine listening. 

Two dates actually, one studio, one live. The studio stuff is more than a little interesting, but the live stuff with Lee sitting in with the working quartet is essential early Konitz, imo.

56 minutes ago, JSngry said:

Two dates actually, one studio, one live. The studio stuff is more than a little interesting, but the live stuff with Lee sitting in with the working quartet is essential early Konitz, imo.

Thanks; I'd forgotten half of it was live. And agree. Some of the best early Konitz out there.

12 hours ago, Larry Kart said:

More material from the same 1957 club date that produced "The Real Lee Konitz" (Atlantic), which is on the Mosaic set. Lee, Don Ferrara (on four of eight tracks) Billy Bauer, Peter Ind, Dick Scott. About 60 minutes of new music, great stuff.

519nU4K52UL._AC_UY218_.jpg

Yes! Only found out about this a few weeks ago and had to buy it right away. Excellent!

1 hour ago, Joe said:

I also see there's a grey market collection of the complete Konitz / Mulligan / Baker Haig recordings from 1953, but I know little else about it.

https://www.discogs.com/Lee-Konitz-Chet-Baker-Gerry-Mulligan-Complete-1953-The-Haig-Performances/release/10231100

Lee's only on the first 11 of thise, the rest are just the Mulligan Baker quartet, albeit in top keenly attuned form. Bopsieland, indeed!

13 hours ago, Larry Kart said:

More material from the same 1957 club date that produced "The Real Lee Konitz" (Atlantic), which is on the Mosaic set. Lee, Don Ferrara (on four of eight tracks) Billy Bauer, Peter Ind, Dick Scott. About 60 minutes of new music, great stuff.

519nU4K52UL._AC_UY218_.jpg

On Wave, (at least) two more absolutely essential Warne records:

R-4998066-1381709414-8986.jpeg.jpg

R-4984340-1533817103-8456.jpeg.jpg

R-4998087-1381709672-6436.jpeg.jpg

3 hours ago, JSngry said:

Lee's only on the first 11 of thise, the rest are just the Mulligan Baker quartet, albeit in top keenly attuned form. Bopsieland, indeed!

On Wave, (at least) two more absolutely essential Warne records:

R-4998066-1381709414-8986.jpeg.jpg

R-4984340-1533817103-8456.jpeg.jpg

R-4998087-1381709672-6436.jpeg.jpg

Thanks for the clarification!

• 1 month later...
R-4990455-1381520935-5163.jpeg.jpg

This recent compilation album contains a collection of Lee's early recordings. These are essential recordings, and contain some of the greatest improvisations you will ever hear. These recordings established Konitz as a unique voice in modern jazz. The two early albums he recorded for George Wein"s Storyville label are also essential to following his development.
Edited by garthsj
correction of information