What else is similar/related to the Tristano/Konitz/Marsh Atlantic Mosaic? (1960's or earlier)

Rooster_Ties

img_0   
Here is a very neglected album of "Tristano Music.' It gives you a chance to hear three Tristanoites play some great swinging music and some wonderful improvisations. Pity that Ronnie Ball, Willie Dennis and Ted Brown (who is still alive AFAIK) did not make more music ... Dennis is the real surprise here. This is well worth acquiring.
Edited by garthsj
Spelling mistake

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Excellent album. And Ted Brown is still with us at age 94 and playing well too in terms of ideas, though at times one might wish he could get more air through the horn. His most recent album is definitely worth checking out:

41kXjZLIPwL._AC_UY218_.jpg

Ted is the first soloist on these:

BTW, his daughter Anita is a terrific composer. This album, her only one so far, is quite something. There are other links to her work on You Tube.

517F11sJyqL._AC_UY218_.jpg

41kXjZLIPwL._AC_UY218_.jpg

Thanks for this recommendation, Larry. I am just coming out  of covid-19/researcher/author hibernation (I got both of my shots)

and missed this one. I can now resume my life as a full-time jazz fan until my editors start demanding yet another edition. I need to retire - so much jazz to listen to, so little time left!

Why did Tristano play so much with the quite obscure Sonny Dallas and Nick Stabulas ? Who were they and has someone any idea why Lennie Tristano choose them so often in the 60´s. 
I have a quite rare album of Tristano "Descent into the Maelstrom" and the last two tracks from 1966 are with those two on bass and drums, I must admit I heard much better drummers 

9 hours ago, garthsj said:
R-4990455-1381520935-5163.jpeg.jpg

This recent compilation album contains a collection of Lee's early recordings. These are essential recordings, and contain some of the greatest improvisations you will ever hear. These recordings established Konitz as a unique voice in modern jazz. The two early albums he recorded for George Wein"s Storyville label are also essential to following his development.

Except it's on the American Jazz Classics (gray/PD label out of Spain) label so who knows where the heck they got this material.

22 minutes ago, bresna said:

Except it's on the American Jazz Classics (gray/PD label out of Spain) label so who knows where the heck they got this material.

Muzak of Japan released these (I believe legitimately) on a 2 cd set last year that sounds wonderful.

konitz_lee~_leekonitz_103b.jpg

https://www.dustygroove.com/item/948926?sf=Lee+Konitz&incl_oos=1&incl_cs=1&kwfilter=Lee+Konitz&sort_order=artist

12 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

Why did Tristano play so much with the quite obscure Sonny Dallas and Nick Stabulas ? Who were they and has someone any idea why Lennie Tristano choose them so often in the 60´s. 
I have a quite rare album of Tristano "Descent into the Maelstrom" and the last two tracks from 1966 are with those two on bass and drums, I must admit I heard much better drummers 

Dallas  was a good one IMO, a very determined sober walker, if you know what I mean. Stabulus is another story, a mixed bag. Perhaps the most Blakey-like of non-Blakey drummers -- that side of him pays great dividends of on the excellent Al Cohn/Bob Brookmeyer album on Coral (see below); an album BTW that makes it clear that Nick needed to be recorded just so, rather crisply I would say -- he also was not unlike Art Taylor, of whom the same could be said. OTOH, there was a kind of loose "crash/bang" aspect to Nick at times that could be annoying. Phil Woods and Al and Zoot favored him IIRC.

51vjvXObnZL._AC_UY218_.jpg

22 hours ago, Larry Kart said:

Dallas  was a good one IMO, a very determined sober walker, if you know what I mean. Stabulus is another story, a mixed bag. Perhaps the most Blakey-like of non-Blakey drummers -- that side of him pays great dividends of on the excellent Al Cohn/Bob Brookmeyer album on Coral (see below); an album BTW that makes it clear that Nick needed to be recorded just so, rather crisply I would say -- he also was not unlike Art Taylor, of whom the same could be said. OTOH, there was a kind of loose "crash/bang" aspect to Nick at times that could be annoying. Phil Woods and Al and Zoot favored him IIRC.

51vjvXObnZL._AC_UY218_.jpg

Thank you very much for your answer. Yes, I also noticed that kind of loose "crash-bang" aspect to Nick, especially on those tracks from Descent to Maelstroem. I think "Stretch" is the title of the faster tune, that seems to be based on "You Stepped Out of A Dream".....

On 2/26/2021 at 0:26 AM, jlhoots said:

Perhaps a little off topic, but very good.

Pound Cake

YES.

I need to get Jazz of New Cities. Have most of his other CDs and was lucky to see him play a number of times (hope that happens again). The first time, maybe in 2012 or early 2013, I felt like it was the closest I could get to seeing Lester Young in performance. 

• 10 months later...
On 2/26/2021 at 11:20 PM, garthsj said:
img_0   
Here is a very neglected album of "Tristano Music.' It gives you a chance to hear three Tristanoites play some great swinging music and some wonderful improvisations. Pity that Ronnie Ball, Willie Dennis and Ted Brown (who is still alive AFAIK) did not make more music ... Dennis is the real surprise here. This is well worth acquiring.

The image here is no longer visible (at least not on my iPhone as of this moment). Can anyone ID what album is being talked about here? — maybe with a Discogs link or similar. Thanks!

On 1/4/2022 at 6:13 PM, chewy-chew-chew-bean-benitez said:

cause its all about the horns on this!

You can say that again. I just got the Konitz/Marsh/Evans discs in the mail yesterday — and although I’ve only been through disc #1 — I think Evans was practically laying out half the time, maybe more even.

Looking forward to spending more time with it this week.

I understand these were originally on 78’s.

By any chance, have these two particular tracks been released officially (no shady euro-releases,) on CD — anywhere else — except (obviously) on the OJC Prestige Conception compilation?

(A friend already has the Miles ‘complete’ Prestige box, and these are the only two tracks on the Conception comp he’s looking for — and we were looking for other legit CD options, if any.)

A5 Lee Konitz Indian Summer
Guitar – Billy Bauer
A6 Lee Konitz Duet For Saxophone And Guitar
Guitar – Billy Bauer

https://www.discogs.com/release/6764843-Miles-Davis-Stan-Getz-Gerry-Mulligan-Lee-Konitz-Sonny-Rollins-Zoot-Sims-Conception

I’m especially falling in love with this second one, “Duet For Saxophone And Guitar” ❤️ — but both are real swell!

Edited by Rooster_Ties