What else is similar/related to the Tristano/Konitz/Marsh Atlantic Mosaic? (1960's or earlier)

Rooster_Ties

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BTW, I spent some time with the Konitz/Marsh/Evans at the Half Note material early last week — spun the whole thing maybe 3x — and Lennie is (I’m afraid) sorely missing.

Not that Bill Evans sticks out or anything (as I said before, he practically lays out half the time) — and Lennie’s absence is really striking, by comparison to all the Lennie that I  was suddenly listening to a couple days later on the new box.

But the Konitz/Marsh frontline is still wonderful, and it’s still a fortunate thing to have documented.

Edited by Rooster_Ties

4 hours ago, Rooster_Ties said:

BTW, I spent some time with the Konitz/Marsh/Evans at the Half Note material early last week — spun the whole thing maybe 3x — and Lennie is (I’m afraid) sorely missing.

Not that Bill Evans sticks out or anything (as I said before, he practically lays out half the time) — and Lennie’s absence is really striking, by comparison to all the Lennie that I  was suddenly listening to a couple days later on the new box.

But the Konitz/Marsh frontline is still wonderful, and it’s still a fortunate thing to have documented.

I think that the "absence" of the piano that night opened them both up, especially Warne.

Jazz Of Two Cities · Complete 1956-1957 Sessions (2-CD)

Leave your review!

WARNE MARSH

JAZZ OF TWO CITIES · COMPLETE 1956-1957 SESSIONS (2-CD)

Fresh Sound Records

Personnel: 
Warne Marsh (ts), Ted Brown (ts), Art Pepper (as on CD 2 #1-9 ), Ronnie Ball (p), Ben Tucker (b), Jeff Morton (d)

Reference: FSRCD 342

Bar code: 8427328603423

This is some very fine music by a band with an exceptionally rich collective imagination. Contains alternate takes and previously unreleased session. Highly recommended. 

TRACKLIST 

Play Prev Next 
Sample this album
Total time: 116:00 min.

CD 1: 
01. Smog Eyes 
02. Ear Conditioning 
03. Lover Man 
04. Quintessence 
05. Jazz of Two Cities 
06. Dixie's Dilemma 
07. These are the Lights I Love 
08. I Never Knew 
09. Ben Blew 
10. Time's Up 
11. Earful 
12. Black Jack 
13. Jazz of Two Cities (Alternate Take) 
14. I Never Knew (Alternate Take) 

Tracks #1-4, Recorded October 3, 1956 
Tracks #5-8,13,14, Recorded at Master Records, Hollywood, on October 11, 1956 
Tracks #9-12, Recorded at Radio Records, Hollywood, October 24, 1956 

CD 2: 
01. Aretha 
02. Long Gone 
03. Once We Were Young 
04. Foolin' Myself 
05. Avalon 
06. On a Slow Boat to China 
07. Crazy She Calls Me 
08. Broadway 
09. Arrival 
10. Au Privave 
11. Ad Libido 
12. Bobby Troup discusses Warne's Music 
13. These are the Things I Love 
14. Background Music 
15. Bop Goes the Leesel 

Tracks #1-9, Recorded at Radio Recorders, Hollywood, on December 21, 1956  
Tracks #10-15, Recorded at ABC Studios, Hollywood, March 11, 1957

PRESS REVIEWS

"These tracks date from the time Marsh spent back in his hometown - well, Los Angeles - from February 1956 to November 1957, leading a quintet that was something of a Tristano student reunion. 

Disc one reprises the material that once appeared on the Imperial and Kapp labels, and there are some very familiar characteristics: improbably tricky themes deriving from familiar harmonic territory - Ball, Brown and Marsh all contribute - propelling the improvisation into fascinating demonstrations of agility. Marsh and Brown are never exactly competitive, but clearly stimulate each other intensely; at times they wrap around themselves almost organically, prodded on by Ball's perfectly-judged piano work. 

Yet there's also a wider aspect to it; the two tenors give the front line a somewhat heavier character than you might expect from the experience of Marsh and Konitz: bassist Tucker gets to feature on his own "Ben Blew" and Jeff Morton gets to play with the sticks, which he never did with Lennie. By the time "I Never Knew" comes along, with its drum-breaks, stop-time bounces and Condon Gang coda, there's a distinct feeling that school's out. 

Disc two introduces Art Pepper into the mix: nine tracks - "Aretha" through "Arrival" - feature him. Originally on a Vanguard LP, it was in fact Brown's date, came out under his name, Marsh no more than a bystander and adviver. A further move away from Tritano's influence, less convolution, though the two noted above, by Ball, and Marsh's "Long Gone", set up more thematic obstacle-courses. Pepper copes well, sometimes superbly, and also makes you realise why Konitz fitted so easily into his chair in the Kenton band. 

The final 15 minutes is back into the Marsh-Brown configuration, and is taken from a TV show of the period. Bobby Troup does the talking, and shows an understanding of the music. A good, though inevitably brief, version of "Background Music", plus two minutes of improvising on "Pop Goes The Weasel". Really. 

These sessions mark the start of Marsh's career as leader and organiser, and as such fill an important gap in his history."

Jack Cooke -Jazz Review 

Price:

14,95 €  (tax incl.)

ADD TO CART

CUSTOMER REVIEWS

No customer reviews yet. Login to leave your impressions!

INFORMATION

STORE INFORMATION

• Benet i Mateu, 26 - 08034 Barcelona (Spain) 
  • Call us now: +34 93 280 60 28
  • Email: info@blue-sounds.com

FOLLOW US

•  
  •  
  •  

This website uses its own and third-party cookies to improve our services by 

•  
  •  
  •  
  •   
  • Sample this album 
Smog eyes  8:31  $1.49
Dig-it  8:05  $1.49
317 E. 32nd Street  7:11  $1.49
Dream stepper  7:15  $1.49
Down the drain  4:37  $1.39
Hi Beck  9:41  $1.49
Feather bed  9:07  $1.49
Kary's trance  6:46  $1.49
Subconscious Lee  11:30  $1.59
Sold by Amazon.com Services LLC. Additional taxes may apply. By placing your order, you agree to our Terms of Use. 

Videos

1 hour ago, Larry Kart said:

On Disc Two of the new Mosaic Tristano set, it sounds to me at times like Lee is trying to rival or even exceed Lennie. Fantastic playing in any case.

You must mean Disc Three (because CD2 is the solo-piano disc).  Entirely by coincidence, I'd just finished disc 2, and just started disc 3, just as I saw your post that I'm quoting here!

• 4 months later...
On 2/25/2021 at 8:32 AM, jazzbo said:

Muzak of Japan released these (I believe legitimately) on a 2 cd set last year that sounds wonderful.

konitz_lee~_leekonitz_103b.jpg

https://www.dustygroove.com/item/948926?sf=Lee+Konitz&incl_oos=1&incl_cs=1&kwfilter=Lee+Konitz&sort_order=artist

From Dusty Groove, I just picked up a copy of this very Musak Japanese 2CD reissue of the complete Konitz Storyville recs -- which I've been diggin' all morning -- every bit as much as the first two discs of the Tristano/Konitz/Marsh Mosaic (the live Tristano-Konitz stuff recorded at The Sing Song Room, Confucius Restaurant in '55).  Hadn't dreamed I like it as much as I do, but man this is some really nice stuff!

I knew all this Storyville material had come out before on a couple Black Lion CD's (which I've never heard) -- but I finally decided to bite the bullet and spring for this Japanese 2CD version -- which sounds great! (I'm sure better, maybe even far better(?)... than any Black Lion CDs ever could).  So quite thankfully, no regrats!

And I *also* picked up a copy of the Tristano/Billy-Bauer trios on Key Note (Essential Keynote Collection, Vol 2) -- quite cheap, $6.  Despite all the alternates being programmed in sequence, I really dug the heck out of it this morning too.

Was a little nervous either or both of these wouldn't have been worth getting (on top of all the other Tristano and Konitz I've bought from this era) -- but I would definitely buy them again, if I had it to do over.