Howard Johnson - RIP

Kevin Bresnahan

When I was in high school, I saw him play one evening in an NYC club with Mingus. After a certain amount of back and forth, the drummer walked out, Mingus said to the audience "he must have got his period," and then Johnson came forward with his tuba to anchor things for the rest of the night. I was young and impressionable, so it was quite an event. Johnson was wearing sneakers and bounding around with incredible energy.

4 minutes ago, mmcgerr said:

When I was in high school, I saw him play one evening in an NYC club with Mingus. After a certain amount of back and forth, the drummer walked out, Mingus said to the audience "he must have got his period," and then Johnson came forward with his tuba to anchor things for the rest of the night. I was young and impressionable, so it was quite an event. Johnson was wearing sneakers and bounding around with incredible energy.

Fun story ....

19 minutes ago, medjuck said:

Piece about him (with lots of tuba) on NPR yesterday. 

Tuba Virtuoso Howard Johnson Dies At 79 

https://www.npr.org/2021/01/12/956145720/tuba-virtuoso-howard-johnson-dies-at-79

BTW, if there was an NPR remembrance of Stanley Cowell, then I sure missed it (and can’t seem to find any via searches on-line, or from the NPR app).

40 minutes ago, Rooster_Ties said:

BTW, if there was an NPR remembrance of Stanley Cowell, then I sure missed it (and can’t seem to find any via searches on-line, or from the NPR app).

Howard Johnson played with The Band & Taj Mahal. "Everybody" knows those guys.

Stanley Cowell co-founded Startat-East and the played with the Heath Brothers and other jazzstuff. "Everybody" very much does not know those guys.

As the saying goes, do the math on that one. And don't forget to pledge!

3 hours ago, JSngry said:

Howard Johnson played with The Band & Taj Mahal. "Everybody" knows those guys.

Stanley Cowell co-founded Startat-East and the played with the Heath Brothers and other jazzstuff. "Everybody" very much does not know those guys.

As the saying goes, do the math on that one. And don't forget to pledge!

Yeah, unless someone's done some major crossover work with rock people, it's doubtful NPR is going to do a feature on them.

Terry Gross did a full hour with Louden Wainwright, and his new album with Vince Giordano and the Nighthawks ("I'd Rather Lead a Band"), singing standards by Loesser, Berlin, etc..., and then played the entire thing again on New Year's Eve (or day). I like Loudon fine when he's singing his own songs, but hearing that thin, warbling voice sing Frank Loesser is another thing entirely. But hey, it's crossover!

What a musician!  I saw him three times and each time was memorable.  The first was as part of a three-baritone tribute to Pepper Adams with Gary Smulyan amd Frank Basile.  The second was as part of Paul Winter's sextet with Marvin Stamm, Warren Bernhardt, Cecil McBee and Jamey Haddad.  The last time I saw him, he was the featured artist at a festival playing with faculty.  It was the only time I saw him play tuba.  I remember him playing 'Caravan' on tuba and 'Sophisticated Lady' on baritone.  

Besides those live experiences, he is on perhaps my favorite Ansrew Hill album, Passing Ships.  The two Gravity albums I have are great fun.  

Thank you for the music, Mr. Johnson, and rest in peace.