Mosaics at my local vinyl shop

7 Mosaic sets at the local shop today. The one not in view, the Lou Donaldson 1950's Blue Note. 40 USD to 90 USD. I have all but the Cecil Taylor and Lou Donaldson. The prices all seem to be a bargain. I bought the Donaldson for 69.99 (#0902).   Has the market on Mosaic sets calmed down? These all appear to be under priced. 

IMG-6978.jpg

IMG-6979.jpg

IMG-6980.jpg

IMG-6981.jpg

IMG-6982.jpg

Edited by Hardbopjazz

Holy shit! You must mean Infinity Records! I've been going to Joe's for over 40 years, since he started out in Wantagh off Sunrise Highway, then moved to Seaford, then moved to Massapequa. Isn't he in Massapequa Park now? I've bought 100s of records from Joe, plus all the other stuff he's got there.My turntable, DVD/VCR player (he gave me for free), and music magazines He even had a jazz record I played on there, and I showed him my picture on it, and said, "Hey man, that's me!"

Did you shop there when Demian and his Corgi were there? Wild dude!

I'm glad he's still open, but I'm too chicken to drive out there from Queens, and risk getting covid. I'll wait till the weather warms up, and he can get some ventilation in there.:blush:

3 hours ago, sgcim said:

Holy shit! You must mean Infinity Records! I've been going to Joe's for over 40 years, since he started out in Wantagh off Sunrise Highway, then moved to Seaford, then moved to Massapequa. Isn't he in Massapequa Park now? I've bought 100s of records from Joe, plus all the other stuff he's got there.My turntable, DVD/VCR player (he gave me for free), and music magazines He even had a jazz record I played on there, and I showed him my picture on it, and said, "Hey man, that's me!"

Did you shop there when Demian and his Corgi were there? Wild dude!

I'm glad he's still open, but I'm too chicken to drive out there from Queens, and risk getting covid. I'll wait till the weather warms up, and he can get some ventilation in there.:blush:

Yes that’s the place. 
yeah, I only went inside since I had a doctor’s appointment around the block. 

6 minutes ago, JSngry said:

Are these LP or CD sets? Does this place do mail order? How does one reach out to them with a proposition? Are they honest people who try hard to give good service?

It’s a mom and pop brick and mortar store. I didn’t check the ones in the photos but I believe they are CD versions. 
Yelp has a 4.1 out of 5 rating. 
Don’t know if they ship. 

You could make a nice bit of change just buying and flipping a few of those. Basie Live Roulette, Byrd/Adams, and the rare Cecil Taylor in particular. I'm jealous you got the Donaldson so cheap - it's one of the midnight axed releases, I believe, and is never under $120 these days on eBay.

I'm not a flipper, just see a few gaps to fill. Maybe.

If/When my instruments are sold, I'm leaving strict instructions that they go to players, not collectors or flippers. Records, maybe not so much, but still...stuff needs a loving home, even inanimate objects. Goes to the spirit of the world, do we bring things into our life to love, or to sell? It's a balancing act for sure.

Someone else will check the prices on the other sets, but the Taylor is priced right at current retail, if it’s a cd set. LP set sells for a bit higher, but not tremendously so. People in the used record business are not stupid. 
That Taylor Candid set...I’d be surprised if Mosaic moved 1000 units, even though they optimistically  licensed for 7500, I think. 
The one I would really be tempted by is the Basie, but my New Years resolution calls on no new music purchases this year. It’s too early to slip.

I totally agree, JSngry, just making the comment. And I'm sure you're right as well about Cecil, Dmitry; I should've checked Discogs. Just never see that one on eBay (nor am I looking, to be honest <--don't hate me). Fortunately, I've got both Byrd and Basie, but man, oh, man I wish it would've been the Roulette Studios - that's still on the grail list and oh so hard to find at a reasonable price like this one!!

Edited by Bob_Bobson

I once found a bundle of these sets at £30 to £40 each in very good condition and including the Basie Live Roulette and in a major London store too. So - it does happen. Mainly CD versions but the older ones were vinyl. That day was like birthday and Xmas combined.

Edited by sidewinder

• 1 year later...

I don't like that they slapped price stickers right on the cover photos. They may be difficult, perhaps impossible, to remove without leaving a mark on high-gloss surfaces. That'll really drop the price of a set. Had I been selling these, I would've put the boxes in clear plastic bags and price stickers on the bags.

Edited by Dmitry

On 13.1.2021 at 4:13 PM, sidewinder said:

I once found a bundle of these sets at £30 to £40 each in very good condition and including the Basie Live Roulette and in a major London store too. So - it does happen. Mainly CD versions but the older ones were vinyl. That day was like birthday and Xmas combined.

I can relate to that. I felt the same when I once found the Larry Young and Shearing Live CD boxes at some second hand dealer.

I have seen a couple of various Mosaics in stores over years, but only a couple! Bull Moose Music in Portsmouth had a couple of sets, Johnny Hodges, and one or two others. I bought a Commodore set in local record store. The halcyon purchase was at the Tower Annex on Lafayette in NYC, about 20 years ago: sealed Ellington Reprise Mosaic, for $30. How it ended up there...a mystery.

11 minutes ago, jazzbo said:

It's a reasonable price. US buyers may be cautious of what will be hefty postal charges; local pickup or Canadian buyers could save a bit.

Thanks for the input.   I understand shipping might be a consideration, but I'm open to discussion.