Joe Henderson Blue Note 1963-1966

Brad

• Replies 430
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Great period for Joe, obviously. I imagine many board members already have just about everything from this period, much like the recent Mobley (or the similar Lee Morgan Blue Note set that has been bandied about in the past as a possible Mosaic). I’ll still buy it... I’m sure the sound and the booklet will be excellent. Too bad, though, that we’re not getting a previously-unreleased stash of trio material from his 1980s/90s Verve era. I remember reading an interview in the mid-1990s where he lamented Verve’s lack of interest in putting out anything along those lines.

IIRC, an alternate take of the title track from Mode For Joe (that first came out on the SHM-CD reissue of that album in Japan, in 2015) — that is the only(?) as-yet-still-rare, and only-recently-released Joe Henderson track, that would surely be included.  It’s a LOVELY alternate, that I can highly recommend.

Which begs the question if any other sort of rarities could be included.

Joe’s probably been my single favorite tenor player for well over 25 years, and it’d be difficult not to want to buy this, even if there was no other previously unreleased material.  “Difficult” but maybe no “impossible”?? — only time will tell.

My enthusiasm for Joe may have waned a bit over the years, but he’s probably still my #1, if push really came to shove.

3 hours ago, Brad said:

While talking to Scott at Mosaic today via email about some matters I asked about forthcoming Mosaics and he mentioned they would be issuing a Joe Henderson set. He didn’t say when it would be issued or give me any other details nor did I ask. 

Ha, good to hear. I suggested a Henderson/BN set to him a while ago, along with a few other "BN in the 1960s" sets: Lee Morgan (I hope this one will materialize), Wayne Shorter, Bobby Hutcherson including Dolphy's Out to Lunch, Freddie Hubbard, Herbie Hancock (the BN set has been OOP for a long time), Dexter Gordon (same), and maybe 1960-1963 Jackie McLean.

Edited by J.A.W.

1 hour ago, mikeweil said:

What about the albums of the band with Henderson and Kenny Dorham that were issued under Kenny's name?

A Kenny Dorham Mosaic with all his 1950s/1960s recordings that can be licensed would be great. That's one I also suggested to Scott.

Edited by J.A.W.

indeed, not the same anymore... unless they have found some additional material ... in fact a box containing just Mode for Joe, Inner Urge and the three albums with Dorham would be such an uninspired choice that I am refusing to believe that this is what Mosaic is planning... I mean, for one thing many people will have this material already, but for another, none of this material is hard to get, at least on cd...

It is likely to share sonic similarities to the Mobley as I suspect they will share transfers done at about the same time--my guess is that these are transfers that were done for the Japanese 75th Anniversary series. If Addey masters these the similarity will probably be very close.

Edited by jazzbo

I don't see much unissued material for Joe Henderson's Blue Note recordings between 1963 and 1966, so unless there are some unknown sessions or unreleased takes, it will be hard to get very excited about such a Mosaic set. Most of us likely own most, if not all of his Blue Note recordings as a leader.

3 hours ago, Dan Gould said:

Mosaic just isn't the same anymore. Not that I should act surprised after the Mobley set but ... I wonder if they'll go the pre-order route again to verify interest and commitment to purchase?

I will definitely get the box.

I believe that their approach is to list a set when it’s available to ship.

I’m not sure what you mean they’re not the same anymore but, then again, what is; they e adjusted to the times. 

5 minutes ago, Brad said:

I believe that their approach is to list a set when it’s available to ship.

I’m not sure what you mean they’re not the same anymore but, then again, what is; they e adjusted to the times. 

Do you not recall that they did not commit to the Mobley until after running a pre-order promotion to verify interest? There was discussion here about supporting Mosaic and encouraging them. I pre-ordered and when finances took a hit in between pre-order and delivery, was able to cancel, thankfully.

As for adjusting to the times, yes, of course that has to happen. Maybe I should have said "my how times have changed" instead. But my point was that in the past they offered unique boxes, not rehashes of BN material that for serious collectors, if they have been doing this since at least the dawn of the CD era, have likely purchased the contents at least once in the past and likely several times already.

34 minutes ago, Dan Gould said:

Do you not recall that they did not commit to the Mobley until after running a pre-order promotion to verify interest? There was discussion here about supporting Mosaic and encouraging them. I pre-ordered and when finances took a hit in between pre-order and delivery, was able to cancel, thankfully.

As for adjusting to the times, yes, of course that has to happen. Maybe I should have said "my how times have changed" instead. But my point was that in the past they offered unique boxes, not rehashes of BN material that for serious collectors, if they have been doing this since at least the dawn of the CD era, have likely purchased the contents at least once in the past and likely several times already.

Yes, you’re correct about the Mobley but I don’t think they did that with the Desmond set.

On your second point, based on what I see at Hoffman there seem to be more people interested in jazz. Perhaps people like this would be more interested in this box. A lot of the Hoffman people are vinyl buyers so it remains to be seen whether a cd box set would appeal to them. 

Who's the target market for a Joe Henderson Blue Note Mosaic? Young people who are new(er) to the music and who don't really buy CDs? Is this going to be a vinyl set?

Do they have a real plan here, or are they just sorta gasping at straws and living on fumes?

No matter, not of interest to me, this proposed set. But I do love me some Joe Henderson and hope that they can sell it to people who actually will benefit from it.

I think the fuel for this is the fact that the Mobley set did so darned well. This likely will too. For a company aiming to stay afloat this seems promising. It's so hard to please long time connoisseurs that why should they try. These connoisseurs just come up with fresh or stale reasons not to buy.

I'd consider buying this on vinyl. I have various edition CDs and LPs of the albums concerned so to have a consistent set would be nice. 

That being said postal charges etc would probably stop me.

3 minutes ago, jazzbo said:

I think the fuel for this is the fact that the Mobley set did so darned well. This likely will too. For a company aiming to stay afloat this seems promising. It's so hard to please long time connoisseurs that why should they try. These connoisseurs just come up with fresh or stale reasons not to buy.

Exactly. The connoisseur market seems very quick to dismiss something that doesn't fit their niche needs.

5 minutes ago, jazzbo said:

Or they could, you know, make an effort to actually do something worthy of our interest. Show some imagination, show some knowledge, get us something excitintg. The Black & Blue set actually interests me. But I guess they're still rounding up source material and soliciting 78s via chat board members. Pretty sure that's not a go-to way to do a set like that.

Lack of resources is one thing, lack of imagination something else altogether.