Brad

• Replies 430
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, Rooster_Ties said:

I’m pretty sure I read/heard that Pete La Roca personally put the kibosh on US the reissue at the time because the (then) ongoing Iraq war (given the title “Basra”) — but for whatever reason, the European version (with the dreaded copyright control) went forward — possibly it pre-dated the planned (but kiboshed) US version slightly?

Surely someone here remembers and can confirm.

That’s basically it, as we understood it at the time. I doubt he had the right to stop it even in the US but somehow he did. I’ve got the Conn myself. Now I think about it, though the Euro RVG exists, I’m not sure how often I’ve ever actually seen it, though it’s still in print. 

16 minutes ago, David Ayers said:

That’s basically it, as we understood it at the time. I doubt he had the right to stop it even in the US but somehow he did. I’ve got the Conn myself. Now I think about it, though the Euro RVG exists, I’m not sure how often I’ve ever actually seen it, though it’s still in print. 

I own one of the Euro RVGs. Didn't know about the copy protection thing, (years ago) bought online the cheapest copy I could find, which was of course that release.

6 hours ago, David Ayers said:

I’ve got the Conn myself.

I’ve got a Conn myself too, and already had had it for several years by the time that the US RVG would have come out (but never did).

I semi-distinctly remember that they were releasing those US RVG’s in batches of 6 titles on release day (Tuesdays back then), but that one week there were only 5. But I think we already knew all about it before the actual day it didn’t appear, so it didn’t come as a surprise to any of us (that particular day).

Such heady times!! ^_^

21 minutes ago, ghost of miles said:

...and that it will be 5 CDs.  

That sounds maybe exactly like all 5 leader-dates plus the two Kenny Dorham ostensibly co-lead-dates — plus a small handful of previously unreleased takes (at most), I would guess.

If nothing else, it’ll surely at least have the alternate 9:29 version of the title track from “Mode For Joe” — only recently released in Japan for the very first time in 2015, on this disc...

https://www.discogs.com/Joe-Henderson-Mode-For-Joe/release/11227057

FWIW, this alternate is pretty close to sublime, and quite varied from the master take. Probably not worth the entire price of admission, but it’s not just “any old” alternate, imho — and I’d love to hear what anyone else thinks of it.

Edited by Rooster_Ties

8 hours ago, Rooster_Ties said:

That sounds maybe exactly like all 5 leader-dates plus the two Kenny Dorham ostensibly co-lead-dates — plus a small handful of previously unreleased takes (at most), I would guess.

If nothing else, it’ll surely at least have the alternate 9:29 version of the title track from “Mode For Joe” — only recently released in Japan for the very first time in 2015, on this disc...

https://www.discogs.com/Joe-Henderson-Mode-For-Joe/release/11227057

FWIW, this alternate is pretty close to sublime, and quite varied from the master take. Probably not worth the entire price of admission, but it’s not just “any old” alternate, imho — and I’d love to hear what anyone else thinks of it.

the 5 Henderson & 2 Dorham (including all released alts, even the 2015 Mode....) takes about 317 mins - if 5 discs  then each would be just over an hour - they have room to fit more but just over an hour seems par with many Mosaic CDs - the recent Mobley had most of the discs as just over an hour while a couple were close to max & the final one was only 43 mins (his last album for BN)

This set will cause me a dilemma. I have everything (bar a few likely alternates) scattered across various CD series (McMaster, RvG, BNWorks etc) , LPs ( NY monos, Liberty, Music Matter etc) but and it's a big BUT I love this music a great deal.

I was in a similar position with the Mobley set (although I didn't have one session) and I have no regrets getting all the music in one place mastered to a similar standard. First world problems....

19 hours ago, ghost of miles said:

Had a very brief conversation with Scott today--he said the Henderson set is indeed on tap for a March release and that it will be 5 CDs.  

Just so weird. Even if it comes out at the end of March we are six weeks or less away from that . . . and not even a mention in "Upcoming Sets." The Armstrong set has been up there for weeks and is coming out in April. Mosaic really needs to pay some attention to "marketing."

7 hours ago, Clunky said:

This set will cause me a dilemma. I have everything (bar a few likely alternates) scattered across various CD series (McMaster, RvG, BNWorks etc) , LPs ( NY monos, Liberty, Music Matter etc) but and it's a big BUT I love this music a great deal.

I was in a similar position with the Mobley set (although I didn't have one session) and I have no regrets getting all the music in one place mastered to a similar standard. First world problems....

I've the same first world problem and as I still have money in the bank I'll pre-order the minute I can. Like you I bought the Mobley set and have no regrets--having this excellent mastering throughout all these sessions, consistent. . . a real plus. Also I was able to sell the separate discs I had and almost paid for the set just from that. Looking forward to this one.

17 minutes ago, jazzbo said:

Just so weird. Even if it comes out at the end of March we are six weeks or less away from that . . . and not even a mention in "Upcoming Sets." The Armstrong set has been up there for weeks and is coming out in April. Mosaic really needs to pay some attention to "marketing."

+1, emphatically.

Mosaic - so bizarre these days. They don't advertise their products nor their consignment deals for other labels like Resonance & Dot Time. Not even on their own Jazz Gazzette blog! :shrug[1]:

For example, they've got the Nat King Cole 10 LP set at $150 which is about $50 off Resonance's own site. There's several other deals from that label but they just don't tell anyone. You have to stumble onto the True Blue page to even find them. 

That there's absolutely no mention of this Joe Henderson set anywhere other than here and maybe some other forums is crazy. They've really given up. 

1 hour ago, Dub Modal said:

Mosaic - so bizarre these days. They don't advertise their products nor their consignment deals for other labels like Resonance & Dot Time. Not even on their own Jazz Gazzette blog! :shrug[1]:

For example, they've got the Nat King Cole 10 LP set at $150 which is about $50 off Resonance's own site. There's several other deals from that label but they just don't tell anyone. You have to stumble onto the True Blue page to even find them. 

That there's absolutely no mention of this Joe Henderson set anywhere other than here and maybe some other forums is crazy. They've really given up. 

I get e-mails from Mosaic advertising theses things all the time. Something they call a "Mosaic Newsletter".  Got the last one Feb 17.

Edited by medjuck

16 minutes ago, medjuck said:

I get e-mails from Mosaic advertising theses things all the time. Something they call a "Mosaic Newsletter".  Got the last one Feb 17.

They gotta do better though. Emails and word of mouth are a bare minimum in terms of real advertising. Doesn’t cost them anything to put stuff on their blog and other avenues of digital marketing can be cheap as well. I have to think they know this....

Edited by Dub Modal

5 hours ago, Dub Modal said:

They could do a little better such as using YouTube better and having an Instagram site (although Mosaic Images does).  However, aside from these steps and sending more emails I’m not sure how much they can do. They’re a small organization and probably don’t have the budget for more marketing.