Brad

• Replies 430
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

3 hours ago, gmonahan said:

Before I dropped my subscription to Down Beat (this year--just didn't have much I wanted to read anymore), I was perplexed that they no longer reviewed any Mosaic sets. I wondered if it was because the label had quit advertising its releases in the magazine.

gregmo

They do not supply review copies. 

The set will more than likely sell out, similar to the Mobley set. There's probably plenty of interest for the amount of sets they'll produce. Maybe they don't think they need to market it as much due to that, but it just seems to me that additional traffic to their site would also help sell some other sets that are sitting in inventory (or possibly with hold orders until enough sets are ordered). 

35 minutes ago, clifford_thornton said:

they did supply me with a few review copies over the years, which I reviewed. I guess it's possible that the publications purchased them for review and didn't let me know that they had done that.

I once purchased a review copy on eBay, the HRS sessions.  Maybe it was yours. 

20 hours ago, clifford_thornton said:

they did supply me with a few review copies over the years, which I reviewed. I guess it's possible that the publications purchased them for review and didn't let me know that they had done that.

I was sent some Mosaic sets as promos but they often sold them at half off or less to writers. I think my cost for the Nat Cile box was $106 plus shipping.

I stopped asking once it became impossible to get them assigned to review.

Mosaic might want to do a vinyl release for this one.  On Ebay, Euclid Records was auctioning 4 of his albums, all of which were stereo copies: In 'N Out ($1,592) Inner Urge ($611), Mode For Joe ($609) and Our Thing ($1,225).  Holy cow!

After my original post some other Joe related auctions ended.  Page One sold for $836! A mono copy of Kenny Dorham's Trompeta Toccata sold for $711.  Una Mas sold for $304.  

Edited by dougcrates
Updated comment

3 hours ago, dougcrates said:

Mosaic might want to do a vinyl release for this one.  On Ebay, Euclid Records was auctioning 4 of his albums, all of which were stereo copies: In 'N Out ($1,592) Inner Urge ($611), Mode For Joe ($609) and Our Thing ($1,225).  Holy cow!

After my original post some other Joe related auctions ended.  Page One sold for $836! A mono copy of Kenny Dorham's Trompeta Toccata sold for $711.  Una Mas sold for $304.  

Some people have a lot of money to spend. 

Wow, those prices are truly shocking.  I didn't think these records were all that rare.  I inherited vinyls of Mode For Joe and Page One back when my father died, in several shelves of records of the same vintage.  I think the Page One may have been sent to dad by Joe himself, since my dad knew him from his time at Wayne in Detroit. 

Of course, I have had the CDs of all of the Henderson Blue Notes for decades (and have upgraded a few of them over the years).  So I would have no need for the Mosaic.  But if the Mobley set sold that well then there's obviously a pretty decent market for music of that era.  While we old jazz-centric folks from the late vinyl years and the years of the early CD reissue bounty may have most or all of this music, it seems that others so not.  Since it seems that Mosaic can put BN sets together pretty easily from the fine Japanese remasters of this material, and probably make a decent profit on them, more power to them.  However much we may want more adventuresome sets of more obscure musicians or labels, I'm certain these sets are a much better bet for a company on the ropes like Mosaic.

Our Thing used to be a bear to find on LP (I had to get mine in a barter with a radio station, that's how impossible it was to find out in the streets). The others were always there. Even allowing for OG vinyl/label wonkery, those prices seem off to me on a purely objective basis.

Collectors collect. People pay for originals - especially mono originals. Doesn't mean a modern LP in a Mosaic box will be in demand. For instance, you can get very nice stereo LPs of "Page One" & "In & Out" from Amazon or at your local store today. Both of them were cut by Kevin Gray using the analog master tape. Both should sound as good or even better than these original LPs.

I also don't think Mosaic would want to get back into LPs. Just the returns alone could be a killer for them. From what I've been reading over on the Hoffman forums, many LP buyers of today return LPs for the slightest problem. I'm talking very slight problems, not major ones.

2 hours ago, bresna said:

Collectors collect. People pay for originals - especially mono originals. Doesn't mean a modern LP in a Mosaic box will be in demand. For instance, you can get very nice stereo LPs of "Page One" & "In & Out" from Amazon or at your local store today. Both of them were cut by Kevin Gray using the analog master tape. Both should sound as good or even better than these original LPs.

I also don't think Mosaic would want to get back into LPs. Just the returns alone could be a killer for them. From what I've been reading over on the Hoffman forums, many LP buyers of today return LPs for the slightest problem. I'm talking very slight problems, not major ones.

The Hoffman people do seem very fussy. Unfortunately, a defect here and there will crop up even in new records. I asked Scott a month or two about making vinyl and they’re not interested although I can’t remember the reasons why. 

18 minutes ago, Brad said:

The Hoffman people do seem very fussy. Unfortunately, a defect here and there will crop up even in new records. I asked Scott a month or two about making vinyl and they’re not interested although I can’t remember the reasons why. 

My understanding (in general, no idea about Mosaic's situation) is that vinyl is much more expensive to produce than CDs.  Plus an LP version of a set is always larger than the CD version--the recent Mobley box, for example, would probably have taken 12 LPs?  Can't remember what Mosaic's rate was for the old Q-LP boxes, but I'm sure it would be even higher now... not sure how much they'd have to charge or what their profit margin would be, as opposed to CD sets.  OTOH people are obviously paying absolutely insane prices for vinyl... I just don't get it at all.  I read an interview recently with a noted engineer/producer (can't remember who off the top of my head, unfortunately) who continues to champion CDs as the best physical format that's ever been available.  I have a record player myself and just this morning was spinning a newly-arrived copy of the 1986 Keynote collection, but it's definitely not my format of choice.  Anyway, I assume Mosaic's reasons for not getting back into the LP game must be based in economics.