Joe Henderson Blue Note 1963-1966

Brad

• Replies 430
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Mosaic sold out of the CD version of "The Complete CBS Recordings of Eddie Condon and His All Stars" years before they sold the last LP box. Although I don't think that would be true today, it might weigh into their thought process. We also don't know how they made out financially on those Miles Davis LP boxes. Maybe they decided there is not enough market there?

FWIW, the Tone Poet LPs of Tina Brooks' Blue Note recordings are selling at a higher price point, even used, than the 4 LPs in the Mosaic box on the secondary market. So it's not just about it being on vinyl. It's gotta be on the right vinyl and/or cut by the right engineer. Maybe a splatter pressing would help sell it? Or have a certain mastering/cutting team involved? Maybe offer it through Vinyl Me Please?

Not to mention with the shortage of pressing plants for LPs and inconsistent quality, I doubt that Mosaic would want to try to do a limited edition LP boxed set of 2500 to 3500 units, the economics would require a much higher price per disc than Mosaic customers are used to paying.

Correct. They'd have to do a run of 500 and charge the equivalent of what Craft and the MoFi One Steps go for, but with more LPs (so around $300 I'm guessing for this Henderson set).

The retentiveness of the customers in that market is off the charts, so anything less than perfect would be sent back. So they would have to invest in some very high level QC. But...they'd sell out preorder if they did this. Blue Note knows this market for jazz vinyl otherwise they'd never do that Lee Morgan Lighthouse complete set. They have more scale of course than a small player like Mosaic, but I'd have to think those guys can pull some strings, call in some favors, etc. to get it done.

All of these small labels press limited run LPs on Bandcamp and for the more well known artists, they sell out in presale (See what Hive Mind did for Sonny Sharrock and what's probably about to happen with Sun Ra's Lanquidity). It can be done, but I have no doubt that Mosaic's heart isn't in that type of product anymore. 

• 3 weeks later...

I talked to Scotscuna this morning and he told me that the reason the new release schedule is so lite is that they're investing in holographic technology, so instead of just hearing dead people play, you'll be able to see them, right there in your living room. All of the action and none of the need to leave a lock off the bathroom door!

2 hours ago, JSngry said:

I talked to Scotscuna this morning and he told me that the reason the new release schedule is so lite is that they're investing in holographic technology, so instead of just hearing dead people play, you'll be able to see them, right there in your living room. All of the action and none of the need to leave a lock off the bathroom door!

But will be limited to 5000 hauntings.  And no secondary market, so be sure to pre-order if you are interested.

I also hear they're taking Bitcoin now. I think they all want new Teslas.

So what i want to know is...can I gets the hologram of Pops playing while standing up in a Tesla, like King Of The Zulus 21st Century style?

The future does indeed lie ahead!