Joe Henderson Blue Note 1963-1966

Brad

13 hours ago, romualdo said:

So, Addey will be re-tweaking the Japanese SHM versions/mastersĀ from the mid last decade?

It's my impression from reading here and there that the catalog has been transferred to hi-res digital in that time frame and up to this decade and Addey will be using the source transfers that SHM-CD and SHM-SACD were then made from, and the latest US sets, etc. New alternate takes have appeared in this time frame, but three of the alternates here have not.

Edited by jazzbo

• Replies 430
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

48 minutes ago, jazzbo said:

It's my impression from reading here and there that the catalog has been transferred to hi-res digital in that time frame and up to this decade and Addey will be using the source transfers that SHM-CD and SHM-SACD were then made from, and the latest US sets, etc. New alternate takes have appeared in this time frame, but two of the alternates here have not.

I think there are three alternates new to this box - two from Page One ("La Mesha" & "Homestretch") plus one from Our Thing ("Our Thing") - none of these were released in the SHM series

7 hours ago, Mark Stryker said:

Look, if weĀ donā€™t continue to buy music weā€™veĀ bought multiple times in multiple formats over the last 40 years for just marginal gains at best,Ā thenĀ the terrorists win.Ā 

So true. And we all need the additional copies for our bunkers.Ā 

2 hours ago, romualdo said:

I think there are three alternates new to this box - two from Page One ("La Mesha" & "Homestretch") plus one from Our Thing ("Our Thing") - none of these were released in the SHM series

Thanks. i got confused, it's the alternate on "Mode for Joe" that was previously only released on SHM-CD.

I am going back & forth on this. On one hand, I want to support Mosaic, a company that has given me great joy over the years. On the other hand, a box with a stray composition from a few sessions sprinkled in actually makes it less appealing to me. To top it off, the stated concept doesn't work when they add two full Kenny Dorham sessions on there that are not all Joe Henderson compositions. And they are Kenny Dorham sessions, not Kenny Dorham/Joe Henderson sessions.

I bought the Mobley box because it allowed me to upgrade the audio of several CDs in my collection. This box would also do that for7 CDs in my collection but only upgrade a single track on 5 others. As I said, I go back & forth.

I really would have liked to see "Basra" in there... and they even refer to "Lazy Afternoon" in their marketing blurb. Why do that if it's not included?

Did everyone catch the typo on the sales page?

2 minutes ago, bresna said:

I am going back & forth on this. On one hand, I want to support Mosaic, a company that has given me great joy over the years. On the other hand, a box with a stray composition from a few sessions sprinkled in actually makes it less appealing to me. To top it off, the stated concept doesn't work when they add two full Kenny Dorham sessions on there that are not all Joe Henderson compositions. And they are Kenny Dorham sessions, not Kenny Dorham/Joe Henderson sessions.

I bought the Mobley box because it allowed me to upgrade the audio of several CDs in my collection. This box would also do that for7 CDs in my collection but only upgrade a single track on 5 others. As I said, I go back & forth.

I really would have liked to see "Basra" in there... and they even refer to "Lazy Afternoon" in their marketing blurb. Why do that if it's not included?

Did everyone catch the typo on the sales page?

Considering my age (no spring chicken anymore), up grading seems less important than it used to be. Iā€™ve been tempted to purchase several TPs but have held off because I already have them in cd. Upgrading is just not that important for me anymore.Ā 

1 minute ago, Brad said:

Considering my age (no spring chicken anymore), up grading seems less important than it used to be. Iā€™ve been tempted to purchase several TPs but have held off because I already have them in cd. Upgrading is just not that important for me anymore.Ā 

That's another "forth" in that back & forth thing. :) Add in older failing ears. :(

FWIW, I have liked the sound of those Analogue Productions SACDs, so it might be tough for this box to unseat the SACD of "Page One".

22 minutes ago, bresna said:

That's another "forth" in that back & forth thing. :) Add in older failing ears. :(

FWIW, I have liked the sound of those Analogue Productions SACDs, so it might be tough for this box to unseat the SACD of "Page One".

I now have hearing aids and they make a significant difference. Good to hear about the AP SACD. I lost out on Ikeā€™s Blue and Sentimental on eBay but noticed AP had a SACD.Ā 

15 hours ago, Dub Modal said:

Thanks for the insight.Ā 

Shopkeepers not caring about the storefront is never a good sign. Hope this set and the Armstrong set deliver them some revenue at least.Ā 

Not really sure I considerĀ telling people what they could have had but can no longer have as caring about the store front. It not really useful businessĀ information to tell someone they can't have something. Ā Ā 

32 minutes ago, JSngry said:

OMG, people are clamoring for vinyl on the Mosaic page.

Excuse me while I find my glasses, I'm going to spend some time reading my audio book.

There seem to be quite a few comments already. I donā€™t know if this is the norm.Ā 

I wonder if they're sticking to CD releases because of licensing and general hassle related to put stuff out on vinyl. I'm comfortable with either LPs or CDs as long as they're done right. I cannot stand overpriced LPs which are anything but audiophile.Ā 

Ā 

This is what's on the Mosaic page right now. Note well the title at the top: CUSTOMER REVIEWS. Not CUSTOMER OPINIONS. Not PLACE TO BITCH ABOUT STUPID STUFF. Anyone referencing LPs or high res or anything about the format should simply be deleted, particularly for a set that hasn't even been released yet.

CUSTOMER REVIEWS

Click here to write a review

Ā 

5note.gif Ā  why no highres download in 24/192?
highres is THE sound quality of the present days, would be fine to add a download code for native 24 bit to the physical cds, many companies already do so, e.g. BANDCAMP - it doesnt make sense to remaster in 24/192 - and then press it onto 16 bit cd format with limited space...
Ā 
5note.gif Ā  Format
I am happy with this wonderful music and I am expecting an amazing set. As far as I see the format is important too. Yes I would love an vinyl version. Though I am totally into HIGH RESOLUTION Audio my wanted format would be DSD audio or DXD. The CDs, yes I already have them all. I purchse this set for my collection but I would apprechiate if they also work on the format. Vinyl, DSD 256 and DXD is the way to go.
Ā 
5note.gif Ā  Terrific but not complete....
What about the missing Grant Green, Andrew Hill and Lee Morgan albums, to name a few? This is nowhere close to being complete but I will still purchase because of the outstanding music contained therein. Its just frustrating when misrepresentations like this are made - we understand if it cannot be complete but dont try to fool us!
Ā 
3note.gif Ā  No LPs? Really?
Surely after the demand for an LP version of the Mobley set you guys could have turned your mind to putting this out on vinyl too? 3 stars for the lack of LP version of this set. Iā€™m sure the set is 10/10, and I just ordered the CD version, but come on.
Ā 
3note.gif Ā  LPs?
Really? No LPs? Any chance youā€™ll reconsider? I know Page One was recently reissued on Lp. Does Blue Note plan on doing the rest in the same encyclopedic way yaā€™ll do? I mean, I have nearly all of these already, now I need to weigh whether itā€™s worth it...it was so much easier when instinct guided me and I just ordered. Sigh, getting old arenā€™t we all.
Ā 
4note.gif Ā  Lps preferred
This is great, and I strongly applaud the effort put into this. Thanks. That said, I would have much preferred buying an all analog LP version of the set. CDs simply arent the dominant medium they once were. Please keep up the good work!

BTW - if this were really "complete" and on LP, who would buy it? It would be a ton of LPs.

Edited by bresna

27 minutes ago, Clunky said:

I wonder if they're sticking to CD releases because of licensing and general hassle related to put stuff out on vinyl. I'm comfortable with either LPs or CDs as long as they're done right. I cannot stand overpriced LPs which are anything but audiophile.Ā 

Ā 

Back in January I asked Scott about vinyl and this was his response:

ā€œAs for vinyl, we do have a passionate number of LP buyers but not enough to warrant release. We tried with our 3000 series and not enough sold. We have to be careful these days with what we issue!ā€

Ok, one guy says:

I would have much preferred buying an all analog LP version of the set.

"All analog"...seriously?

I've got those,Ā sounds like Mark Stryker does too, a bunch of older people do. They're called records made before digital mastering was a thing.

Mosaic is not a record store. Better get to crate-diggin', fool.

2 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

"Records Me"? (A Freudian reference to vinyl?)Ā 

I missed that one but that's on the discography page. I was referring to the one on the marketing page where they say:

Those contributions are here, as are two dates led by Kenny Dorham, including Henderson's massive debut with the label, and Hutcherson's three other dates, "Our Thing," "Inner Urge," and "In 'N Out."

Quite honestly, if they do fix that typo, I would think that it should change to "and his 3 other dates,". No need to repeat his name in the same sentence.

Maybe even "his 3 other dates as a leader"?

Preordered without hesitation, though I empathize with others who already have all of this music. Somehow I managed to never pickĀ up Henderson's albums, and then they were on Spotify so I didn't need to, so this is an easy purchase for me (especially when it is a smaller/cheaper set than the now-standard 7 discers). Looking forward to it.