Joe Henderson Blue Note 1963-1966

Brad

• Replies 430
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Damn... this dropped and I didn't know.  After getting back on my feet and set up in my new place, I got that 5 Original Albums set to replace what I lost in the fire, (mainly because it was a quick and dirty way to get State of the Tenor again........ I have the AP SACD of Page One and it sounds great.  I might pass on this one because it's not like I didn't have all of the music before mostly, and I don't really care for how they sprinkled orphaned tracks he played on as a sideman, but it looks like a great set.

56 minutes ago, CJ Shearn said:

Is it a considerably different alternate, ala the alternates on the Fuschia Swing Song Connoisseur?

Different tempo. Not so extreme a difference as the alternate of Witch Hunt on Speak No Evil released for Blue Note's 75th in Japan though.

Edited by erwbol

Joe has arrived ! :excited:  He flew in overnight !

First impressions on spinning ‘Una Mas’ - nice and crisp. Lovely !

The usual great packaging job from JazzMessengers too. Big thumbs up to them.

17 hours ago, J.A.W. said:

The Henderson set is sold out at Jazz Messengers, and I was too late. They'll hopefully get new stock.

Damn, sorry to hear that. It was still in stock the last time I looked. If it’s like the Desmond, they will get another batch in.

Edited by sidewinder

19 hours ago, J.A.W. said:

The Henderson set is sold out at Jazz Messengers, and I was too late. They'll hopefully get new stock.

I'M sure they will. As long as Mosaic has copies, they will get another batch. Send them an e-mail to reserve a copy.

43 minutes ago, mikeweil said:

I'M sure they will. As long as Mosaic has copies, they will get another batch. Send them an e-mail to reserve a copy.

On another occasion I did ask them to reserve a copy, but they told me they don't do that anymore.

Mosaic is preparing an E-mail to explain the delays that are happening right now. Apparently, they have the CDs, including the artwork, for their current orders, but the outside box order got delayed so they can't ship yet. I was told that they are expecting them within the next two weeks.

Scott also assured me that this is not sold out and that he expects that Jazz Messengers will be getting more.

Well, mine just shipped from Mosaic. I got some birthday money from fam and I broke down and ordered, I did lose all the individual CD's in the fire (everything as you know).  It's my 40th birthday this year, why not?  Will be interesting to compare to the AP SACD of Page One (which I will still go to when I just want to play the album) and the masterings in the 5 Original Albums set which I'll keep for State of The Tenor.

7 hours ago, erwbol said:

It's a great set sonically, especially if you're not fond of digital compression. I'm going to read the book today.

I really enjoy the AP SACD layer of Page One.  How does the Addey stack up to it?

9 minutes ago, CJ Shearn said:

Well, mine just shipped from Mosaic. I got some birthday money from fam and I broke down and ordered, I did lose all the individual CD's in the fire (everything as you know).  It's my 40th birthday this year, why not?  Will be interesting to compare to the AP SACD of Page One (which I will still go to when I just want to play the album) and the masterings in the 5 Original Albums set which I'll keep for State of The Tenor.

I really enjoy the AP SACD layer of Page One.  How does the Addey stack up to it?

If I remember correctly @erwbol doesn't like Steve Hoffman's masterings of the AP SACDs in general, so I guess he's not too fond of that one either.

Edited by J.A.W.

30 minutes ago, CJ Shearn said:

Edit to say: I called Mosaic back to find out if they lost my order and found out that anyone that gets a shipping notice now is simply getting an automated E-mail and that your box has not really shipped. They have hundreds of backorders due to this SNAFU with the company supplying the outer boxes.

Edited by bresna

1 hour ago, CJ Shearn said:

Hans is right. The only Steve Hoffman mastering I like is the John Coltrane MCA/Impulse! compilation from 1985 From the Original Master Tapes.

I think you'll be very pleased with Addey's work, though, CJ.

2 hours ago, bresna said:

Edit to say: I called Mosaic back to find out if they lost my order and found out that anyone that gets a shipping notice now is simply getting an automated E-mail and that your box has not really shipped. They have hundreds of backorders due to this SNAFU with the company supplying the outer boxes.

Interesting.  Thanks Kevin!

I’ve been giving disk 1 with ‘Una Mas’ and ‘Page One’ a couple of spins today. The only versions of these I have heard which sound comparable are on the original release mono LPs, the punch and crispness is captured really well. A winner !

Edited by sidewinder