Byard Lancaster

Pim

There does not seam to be a Byard Lancaster topic yet. At least not one that is just dedicated to the guy. I think he is one of the most fascinating reed players of his time. 

Up til now I know 'It's Not Up To Us' and his concert at Macalester college. I also recently bought the Sounds of Liberation LP and Doug Hammond's Spaces. My question to you guys is:

Where should I go next? Both as a leader or a sideman.

Edited by Pim

Thanks guy, did not think of the Murray dates. I know them but forgot Lancaster played on them. 

No leader dates?

11 hours ago, Rabshakeh said:

He's very good on the first Marzette Watts album "& Company".

You could also try Funny Funky Rib Crib, an album he did in 1979. It's a mix of free jazz and funk, a bit like Nationtime by Joe McPhee.

The Rib Crib disk is on my 'to listen' list :) That kind of music is mostly my cup of tea. 

The Palm titles are mostly real good (Mother Africa is kind of a clinker).

Worked on a reissue of his Black Fire CD, now on LP, that's coming out via Strut this spring. Pretty interesting record, definitely veers into more populist territory but I like it.

https://black-fire.bandcamp.com/album/my-pure-joy

On 1/16/2021 at 0:19 PM, randyhersom said:

Presenting Burton Green on Columbia.  Odd that I see it on Amazon Music, but not for sale as MP3s on Amazon.

never saw a digital/CD reissue

Some other sideman dates I enjoy:

-David Egyes - Crossroads

-Khan Jamal - Infinity & Black Awareness

-Dwight James - Inner Heat

The co-leader CIMP disc Philadelphia Spirit In New York is pretty excellent as well

A little more outside the jazz realm, I also love the Garret List & Napoleon Cherry (Cool Waters) records he plays on. Very cool and interesting player, but a bit of a challenge to collect at times.